Mathew Maloney (or Moloney or Molony), World Marathon Record

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

grace moloney

Mathew Maloney (or Moloney or Molony), World Marathon Record

Post by grace moloney » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Researching Mathew Maloney of Aylroe, parish of Kilfiddane (think this is civil parish, church parish probably Coolmeeen?), County Clare, who emigrated to New York where he broke the world marathon record on St Stephen's Day (26th December) 1908. He had a younger brother called Senan (sometimes Sinon or Simon) who lived with him in Brooklyn around 1910 but remaining family members have no idea where they went after that or whether either had a family. Any information on his family in the USA would be gratefully received.

Paddy Casey

Re: Mathew Maloney (or Moloney or Molony), World Marathon Record

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:11 pm

Grace,

Maybe this is something you have already done so, if so, just mouse it into the trash receptacle: Matthew (Matt) Maloney was a member of the Trinity Athletic Club (presumably, but not necessarily, of New York; see http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.h ... 946997D6CF ). If that athletic club still exists, or if it was absorbed into a club of another name, there may be membership records in existence which give his home address. That could take you to a census entry. Once you are there you are on a roll. You might like to search around on the Web for something like that.

Just an idea.

Paddy

johnmayer

Re: Mathew Maloney (or Moloney or Molony), World Marathon Record

Post by johnmayer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:50 am

Grace,

I tried sending you information at the e-mail address listed in the Clare Champion, but have heard nothing. I was wondering if the address is incorrect. My e-mail is dundeemayer@comcast.net.

John