Clare Champion?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Dick Barton

Clare Champion?

Post by Dick Barton » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi,
If anyone could spare the time when next visiting the library, I would be extremely grateful if you could obtain some information contained within the Clare Champion archives for me please.

Index to Biographical Notices in the Clare Champion newspaper 1935-1985 gives the following names of interest.

Lenihan Michael Clonloun, O'Callaghans Mills 11 Nov 1944 Ackn
Lenihan William Clonloum, O'Callaghan's Mills 09 Aug 1985 Obit

Many thanks in anticipation
Paul

smcarberry

Re: Clare Champion?

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Paul,

If you wish to get in contact with the Lenihans of Clonloum, the below recent death item lists the current Lenihans there.
I am tracking Lenihan of Clare for involvement with both my maternal (Kingston NY) and paternal (Philadelphia PA) lines.
I show below a small selection of the data collected so far in those cities plus Chicago, where most of the Carberrys of East Clare re-settled. I can readily share more info if you indicate what country or U.S. county in which you might be interested. I have the Clare Heritage reports on Lenihan and Arkins of East Clare.

Sharon Carberry
Georgia

Clare Champion 29 Apr 2005
The community was united in grief last weekend at the untimely death of Martin Lenihan Clonloum. Martin slipped away peacefully, surrounded by all his family which would have made him very happy. Martin was a very committed person and long involvement with all aspects of community Development Association, Tidy Towns, the church, G.A.A and tourism, was testament to this. Guards of honour by the G.A.A, Fine Gael and community at his removal and funeral mass reflected this involvement and reflected the love and care he shared with his family. He is survived by his wife Hannah, sons, Reamonn and Martin-John, Daughters, Deirdre, Aine and Patricia, sister Kay, brothers Denis, Dan and Mike and extended family.

martin-John.lenihan@oceanfree.net building contractor

Mrs H. [Hannah] Lenihan, Clonloum, O'Callaghan's Mills, Ph: 065-6835173.
self-catering accomodations

1880 5th Ward, Kingston, Ulster, New York
LENAHAN
Patrick 38 IRE Laborer
Margaret 30 IRE
Michael 12 NY
Mary 8 NY
Katie 6 NY
Ellie 4 NY
Maggie 1 NY [my great-aunt]
next to John Halloran 56 Ire widower

1901 census Mount Allon, East Clare [the girls went to Philadephia PA]
Lenihan
John Roman Catholic 45 Farmer
Ellen Wife 45
Mary Daughter 8 Scholar
Margaret Daughter 5 Scholar
John Son 3
Bridget Daughter 1

Chicago Tribune; Chicago, Illinois; July 27, 1898
LENAHAN – July 26, at 5257 Union-av, John beloved brother of James, Patrick, and Daniel Lenahan and cousin of Bridget Gleason, native of Killuren, County Clare, Ireland, aged 28. Funeral on Thursday at 9 a.m. to Church of Visitation, where high mass will be celebrated, thence to 49th and Halstead-sts depot by cars to Mount Olivet.

Dick Barton

Post by Dick Barton » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Hello Sharon,
I am located in Wales, UK and currently building my family tree. Searching UK records tends to be relatively (sorry for the pun) easy, when it comes to Ireland I am at a loss and have to rely on help and support from people such as yourself and Paddy.

Here's my quest.
I'm seeking an Anne Lenihan and believe that the Lenihan's listed below is Anne and her family living in Clonloum, O'Callaghans Mill area of County Clare, Ireland.

If this is the correct Anne then her parents were Michael and Norah Lenihan (nee Smith or Smyth) :-
Children
Mary (c1914)
Norah (c1915)
William (c1917)
Anne (c1918)
Michael (c1920)
Cornelius (c1924)

If Anne move to the UK where she later married then I have the correct Lenihan family. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack but when I Google Earth Clonloum, it appears to be a very small rural area, so I would think that the Lenihan's in the area would all be related to each other.

Many thanks for your help.
Bye
Paul

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Paul,

I don't have a lot more to add at this time. As you will see from the 1860 voters list which I transcribed at the National
Archives in Dublin, there is a connection between the Lenihans of Mount Allon (the ones who served as baptismal
sponsors to my Carberry's children) and those of Coolnaheela. The Clare Heritage report on Lenihan encouraged considering
the Lenihans of Coolnaheela as being related to the Lenihans of Newton/Killuran, who were the subject of that report.
The further question is how Clonlara fits into all this. As to Clonloum, I am assured by Ernene Smedley, whose ancestors
were from there, that it has been no more than a farming community without even a church at any time. That sounds like it was ripe for being a cradle and not a place to particularly keep its young people wanting to enter trades and professions.

You did not mention looking into the Smyths. I think that Paddy was right on in pointing out Tim Smythe the athlete raised
by his aunt Nora Lenihan. Further, a candidate for being your Nora Smith Lenihan is Hanora, aged 17, in the 1901
household of Timothy Smyth in Feakle. I also show below a few bits of Smythe lore gleaned from the Internet. It is a
family who rarely appears in East Clare records, which is actually great and avoids the problems of too many Smiths.

I can now try doing more on the Lenihans in another database to which I must leave and travel a bit. It's good knowing
that I can pass along what might not be central to my own research.

Sharon C.

1860 Register of Voters, Barony of Tulla Lower NA 1D-40-123
LENIHAN
Dan Lackyle [My Carberrys lived at Lakyle and had Daniel Lenihan in their church records.]
Mich. Coolnahela house and land at Mountallon
Mich. Dan. "
Mich. "
Dan. Mountallon

1901 Coonahella, Ballinahinch DED
Lenihan
Anne Head of Family Roman Catholic Read-Write 60 Farmer Widow Co. Clare
Bridget Daughter Read-Write 20 Farmer's Daughter Not Married Co. Clare
William Son Read-Write 16 Scholar Not Married Co. Clare
Michael Son Read-Write 29 Farmer's Son Not Married Co. Clare

25 Mar 1908 arrival in NYC of the Carmania
Lenihan, Michael D. Clonlara, Ireland 33 [b.c.1875, this is the closest match]
farmer
closest Irish kin: Margt Lenihan, Clonlara, Co Clare [is this also Anne ?]
going to cousin Mr. J. Dinan, 3013 Tasker St, Philly

1910 census PA PHILADELPHIA 12-WD No. Orianna St.
LENAHAN MICHAEL 34 IRE
wagondriver, brewery arrived 1905
boarding with James Rouan 35 Ire arived 1895 [Roughan is a long-time Clare surname]

The above placing Michael in Philadelphia would explain why the biographical notice for Michael is an acknowledgement
and not an obituary.

Smythe items --

"On December 12, 1974, Irish Republican Army and Sinn Féin leaders met at Smith's Hotel, Feakle, with the leaders of the main Irish Protestant Christian denominations (Anglican, Methodist, and Presbyterian) to discuss ways of resolving the Northern Ireland crisis. The Gardaí (Irish police) broke up the meeting. Although any wanted IRA men had already departed, the churchmen did pass on the list of Republican demands to the British government. Methodist leader Eric Gallagher was in attendance and would bcome the subject of the book Peacemaker by author Dennis Cooke."
Wikipedia item http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feakle,_County_Clare

Smyth Country Lodge Hotel ... Feakle, County Clare, Ireland
Tel: +353 (0) 61 924000 Email: smythvil@iol.ie
http://www.iol.ie/~smythvil/

Greetings to all...from Ireland. I was delighted by Br. Kieran's account of the foundation and early years of the Abbey. It meant a lot to me as Fr Clement Smyth was my great grand uncle, ie, my mothers granduncle. Incidentally, Mons. Martin MacNamara, who served as a priest in Des Moines and died in the late 1940s, was a nephew of Bishop Smyth. Fr. Martin was born in Flagmount, Feakle, Co. Clare and his mother was a sister of Bishop Smyth. When I was a small child, I recall my mother's great sorrow on reading in a letter from Des Moines of the death of her beloved uncle, Fr. Martin...
Patrick O/Dwyer Jan '05 podwyer@eircom.net
posted in the guestbook at http://www.newmelleray.org

"Clement Smyth was b. 24 February, 1810, at Finlea, County Clare, Ireland; educated at Trinity College, Dublin, he entered the Cistercian Order and was ordained, 29 May, 1841. He was sent to the United States and founded New Melleray monastery, twelve miles from Dubuque, on land donated by Bishop Loras. He was consecrated, 3 May, 1857, by Archbishop Kenrick of St. Louis. Bishop Smyth was a man whose deep piety and boundless charity won the devotion of priests and people. He held a synod whose canons remained unaltered till 1902. Under him immigration continued, but owing to hard times and the Civil War, not much progress was made in church-building, but the spiritual edifice was strengthened. At his death, 22 September 1865, there were 90,000 Catholics in Iowa."
http://home.newadvent.org/cathen/05179b.htm

Dick Barton

Post by Dick Barton » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:08 pm

Hello Sharon,
Many thanks for a wealth of information which alongside Paddy's I truly hope will lead me in the right direction. I knew nothing about Tim's family other than the report in the Clare Library. It stated that he went to live with his aunt on the death of his parents. He was born in 1905 but it does not say when he went to live with his aunt. If he was at least 10 yrs old at the time then by 1915 his aunt was already married with child Mary and possibly Norah. So you have put a name to Tim's aunt as Hanora Smyth. The children's birth certificates all have Norah Lenihan, formerly Smith as mother. No matter how hard I tried, I was unable to find a marriage certificate for Michael Lenihan to Nora Smith during the years between 1905 - 1915 while at the Dublin Records Office. Now I know why.
I'm not certain how the rest of the information will fit in but I hope at some point it will all tie together.
The only other anomaly I have which may be significant is that the marriage certificate for Anne who married in Burnley, UK (1953) says she was aged 30 yrs and her father was Martin Lenihan, farmer. The only Anne Lenihan born in Ireland between 1915 to 1925 I could find was to parents Michael & Norah Lenihan of Clonloum and Michael was a farmer.
Once again many thanks for all your time and efforts which is appreciated.
Bye
Paul

sadhbh

Post by sadhbh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Dick,
I've looked up the Clare Champion for the Lenihan death notices. The acknowledgemant for Michael Lenihan in the 11 Nov 1944 issue ran as follows:
The widow and family of the late Mr Michael Lenihan, of Clonloum, O'Callaghan's Mills, desire to return sincere thanks to all who sympathised with them in their past bereavement.

William Lenihan's obituary in the issue of 9 August 1985 ran:
Sadly bereaved last week was Mrs Mary Lenihan N.T., [National Teacher] Quin National School, when her husband Mr William Lenihan, Clonloum, O'Callaghan's Mills died at Raheen Hospital after
a long ilness. Mrs Lenihan, formerly Mary Baker, Quin Gardens, Quin, shares her sorrow with three sons, a daughter and a wide circle of friends.There was a large attandance at the removal from Raheen hospital on Thursday last and at the Requiem Mass and funeral on Friday.

Beir bua,
Sadhbh

Dick Barton

Post by Dick Barton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Hello Sadhbh,
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble for looking up the announcements and posting them for me. Any additional information I can gleam from them will hopefully, at some point, tell me if I am researching the correct Lenihan family.
Once again may I thank you for your help, which is gratefully received.
Bye
Paul