Cassidys of Killaloe

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Re: Cassidys of Killaloe

Post by smcarberry » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:51 pm

Those are very good details, Sean. What springs to mind is that the Michael-Mary wedding took place in Killaloe, being the bride's parish. I wonder if anyone can narrow down the years, but it was likely between 1904 and 1910, so that Michael was at least 25 and Mary, 22. The parish record might have a clue as to Michael's town of origin, though Banagher is a place
to start. Once that town is determined, the parish and civil records should yield this Michael's parents.

The 1911 census might show the married couple, hopefully still in Killaloe. I don't hear anything about children.
I will see if the 1911 online census database (which started with Roscommon and Galway) has extended to Northern Tipperary.

I am very encouraged. You act quickly. The pleasant conversations with real relatives must be such a positive new
aspect for you.

Thanks again,
Sharon C.

Sean Cassidy

Post by Sean Cassidy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 pm

Indeed, it is quite a rush to be able to pick up the phone and chat with Irish relatives with whom I've never met in person. Forntunately for me, the concept isn't altogether new given that I am in close contact with my a few folks on my Grandmother's side (the O'Driscoll lineage from Schull, Co. Cork) who live now in Co. Wexford. I have twice visited them, and their brilliant in every way.

But you're right, opening new doors is very exciting.

Just for kicks, I googled "Molly Donnellan" and only got a couple hits, but one was a "my space"-type page of a young lady with that name who lives in Clarecastle, Co. Clare. I dropped her an email in case that might turn into something. I'll keep you posted.

And I'll certainly keep you posted regarding further info from Mary and Annie Darcy. Continued good luck.

All the Best,
Sean

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:27 pm

Although I have nothing definitive to contribute to the effort to track Michael and Mary
(Cassidy) Donnellan, I am sending directly to Sean a computer file of Cassidy, Donnellan, and Melvin records gleaned from online indexes. To summarize those, there is a good-looking Terryglass, Tipperary birth in 1880 for a Michael born to Michael Donnellan and Mary Kenny. The Kennys occasionally appeared in East Clare records with my family and associated families of the mid-1800s. Also, a Mary Kenny witnessed my Patrick Carberry's marriage in Philadelphia in the 1880s.

The Melvins do not appear on the Clare County Library site except in the 1901 Killaloe census. However, there is a family website detailing that surname in Counties Sligo and Mayo, and I have a few 19th-century listings in Limerick. There are also some Limerick listings for Cassidy, including two brothers who arrived via Ellis Island in 1912. However, my favorite finding is this one posted on the Rootsweb Limerick list by our late friend:
[T]hose who were identified by police during a commemorative parade in Limerick city on 8th December, 1867 posted Sep 01 by Padraig O Gealagain
Leader: Revd. Mr. Quaid, Parish Priest, O'Callaghan's Mills, Co.Clare
... [omitting most of the listed men]
John Cassidy, Pawnbroker's Assistant, Cashel, Co. Tipperary
Frank Donnellan, Publican
Michael Donnellan, Clerk

Sean, Father Patrick Quaid was very well known for his efforts regarding his East Clare parishioners. Money for various native-Irish causes was collected right at the door
of his chapels on Sundays after mass.

The other obscure source that I should mention has a hitherto-unknown connection
between the Flannerys and Donnellans of East Clare:
Irish Wills extracted from the “Index to Probate and Administration Calendars, 1858-1877” and the “Calendar of all Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration, 1867-1981” lodged in the N.A.I.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~oflannery/c ... ls1858.htm

Rev. Canon Daniel Flannery, 11 Aug. 1921; parish priest of Killaloe, County Clare.

Anne Flannery, 10 Sep. 1929; (widow) of Ballycullen, Sixmilebridge, County Clare, died 30 Jul. 1929, left effects valued at £1,678-12s-5d to John Flannery (farmer) and John Donnellan (shopkeeper).

John Flannery, 17 Oct. 1953; publican and farmer of Ballycullen, Sixmilebridge, County Clare, died 30 Aug. 1953, left effects valued at £213 to Matthew Flannery (farmer) and Patrick Donnellan (farmer).

Lastly, I think there is a bit of mystery swirling around Mary Cassidy Donnellan's father John/Joseph and wife, because 35-year-old parents of a 21-year-old just are not
credible. Is this a transcription or censustaker error, or is this the Cassidys' (and Melvins') effort to obscure their origins ? If deliberate, then Fenian activity (or any of the other
home-rule/nationalistic activities of other groups in the area) might be the reason.

Sharon C.

Sean Cassidy

Post by Sean Cassidy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for sending along that info; however, I have yet to find a way to open the attachment. I haven't exhaused all my options, so I'll let you know if I don't succeed.

I'm not sure if the following will help or hinder, but some of the documents I have indicate that the maternal name was "Melville" and not "Melvin" (as indicated in the 1901 census). Actually, my grandfather's birth certificate indicates that his mother was Honora Melville Cassidy.

Still awaiting the promised history from Annie Darcy's Mary.

Take care,
Sean

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Just so the outer world knows, I am sending you directly as text in emails (now that I have your real addy) the info in the attachment attempted in Open Office format.

As to Melville, that does bring up some results via Google on the Clare County Library site,
although those are limited to Kilrush in West Clare and Gort in Galway.

I will continue to keep my eyes open for whatever else may of use in sorting this all out.

Sharon C.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Out of the blue, I came across a database with just what we need on Michael Donnellan. The British part of Ancestry.com
apparently has an arrangement with the British Archives which is similar to the one which Footnote.com has with the U.S.
National Archives, so that the company's access to documents is tied to providing online access to the public. The Ancestry.com database provides images of all the documents in a file. So, here is the information on the military service record of Michael Donlon who obviously is the one who married a Cassidy.

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
1915:
Michael Donlan
age 35 b. 1880
5'5" tall
residing Canal Bank, Killaloe, Co Clare
trade/calling: engine driver
Regiment Name: Royal Engineers rank: sapper
Regiment Number: 131406
married to Mary Cassidy Donlan on 18 Jun 1902 at Killaloe
children:
Mary b. 25 Jun 1903 Killaloe
Nora b. 12 Jun 1916 Killaloe
recruit attestation done at Nenagh 17 Aug 1915
other pages in his file:
embarked for France 7 Mar 1916
went home twice during service
demobilization (into reserves) 1 Aug 1919
address listed: _londra, Co. Longford
disability: injury, left ring finger; infected teeth
date of discharge 20 Jul 1922

posted by Sharon Carberry

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Now that the civil registrations for Clare are online, it is time to add to the knowledge base on the Cassidy and Melvin/Melville families of Killaloe. It appears that Killaloe is in the Scariff registration district.

First, so that people reading this know what family is Sean's, here is the 1901 census listing of the family:
1901 John's Lane, Killaloe
Cassidy
Joseph Head of Family RC Cannot Read 35 Tailor b. Co. Limerick
Mary Wife Cannot Read 35 Co. Clare
John Son Cannot Read 21 Tailor Not Married Co. Clare
Mary Daughter Read-Write 19 Not Married Co. Clare
Joseph Son Read-Write 17 Hotel Waiter Co. Clare
Ellen Daughter 15 Scholar
Thomas Son 13 Scholar
Michael Son 11 Scholar
Bridget Daughter 7 Scholar
Peter Son 5 Scholar
William Son 3 Scholar
Francis Son 6 mths
Melvin
Ellen Mother-in-law RC Cannot Read 70 Female Widow Co. Clare
Thomas Brother-in-law RC Read-Write 33 Shoemaker Not Married Co. Clare
Donnellan Michael Visitor RC Read-Write 22 Boatman Not Married Co. Tipperary

Now, let's build onto that the marriage, death, and birth registrations which match (all in Scariff district), starting with the marriage of Mary Cassidy who married Michael Donnellan in 1902, as Michael's army record states:
Cassidy, Mary marriage Apr-Jun 1902 Vol. 4 p. 203

Here is Mary Cassidy's birth registration:
Cassidy, Mary Anne Apr-Jun 1882 vol. 4 p. 414

This looks like the marriage registrations of her parents:
Melville, Honoria Jul-Sep 1879 vol. 4 p. 187
Cassidy, Joseph Jul-Sep 1879 vol. 4 p. 187

This looks like the same Joseph Cassidy:
death Oct-Dec 1925 age 71 [b.c. 1854] vol. 4 p. 208

These fit the records of the other children shown in the 1901 census:
Cassidy
John birth Oct-Dec 1880 vol. 4 p. 414
Joseph birth Jul-Sep 1884 vol. 4 p. 386
Ellen birth Jan-Mar 1887 vol. 4 p. 393
Peter birth Jan-Mar 1896 vol. 4 p. 360; death age 8 Oct-Dec 1903 vol 4, p. 221
William birth Apr-Jun 1898 vol. 4 p. 342
Francis birth Oct-Dec 1900 vol. 4 p. 289

Might be the mother-in-law Ellen Melville's:
Melville, Ellen death age 80 Jan-Mar 1908 vol. 4 p. 269

As for Michael Donnellan, I am not finding his marriage registration in Clare, but here are some entries for Tipperary which
might be his (note that Terryglass is on Lough Derg, in the PLU of Borrisokane):

LDS Batch C023548 birth
Michael Donnellan
12 APR 1880
Lerryglass [Terryglass], Tipperary, Ireland
Fa: Michael
Mother Mary Kenny

The above was previously mentioned and it hopefully is the same as this civil registration:
Michael Donnellan birth Apr-Jun 1880 vol. 3 p. 414 Borrisokane district

All the entries for the above civil registrations should contain more information, as the online listings are only index
listings, not the actual record entries.

posted by Sharon Carberry

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 am

One more installment in the continuing saga of tracking Michael Donnellan's family. After spending some time this week in
trying to find Michael's daughter in the U.S. in 1930, I have to give up for the moment and simply post her arrival record
from the Ellis Island database. I show it as it appears, without any explanation for the "step-sister" part. Maybe the folks
back in Killaloe might know about that connection. However, it is evident that Michael's first daughter, Mary b. 1904,
later used the name Nellie. I can find no arrival record for anyone else in her Donlon/Donnellan family.

Sharon Carberry USA

4 Jul 1921 arrival in NYC
Nellie Donlon
age 17, born Killaloe, mother is Mrs. Donlon, John's Street, Killaloe
going to step-sister Miss Nan Daly, 308 West 31st St., NYC

bbhardie

Post by bbhardie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:40 pm

hi sean, just to let you know you have three second cousins living in scotland uk. my mother was norah cassidy you're granda frank's younger sister. my mother and father [andrew hardie] were married in killaloe in 1921 and your granda frank and their sister bridget were witness's i've got the certificate.my mum and dad moved to glasgow scotland with their two sons around 1925. they had another four children three of which are still living they are norah aged 81, isabel aged 69 and myself billy aged 72. my dad took us on holiday to killaloe when i was 13 and i met thomas and michael your grandfather's brothers who were lovely people. i've been unable to go further back with joseph cassidy and his wife honorah m/s melville have you had any luck? thanks for info. i've obtained from your forum. kind regards billy hardie.

Sean Cassidy

Post by Sean Cassidy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Hello Billy! Wow. Great to hear from you.

As you can tell, I haven't checked in on this forum for quite some time. My sister, Claudine, forwarded to me a message today that she received on Facebook from Christine (your daughter?) and her husband, Stefan. They were looking for me, I assume because of what they found on this forum. I sent her an email this morning and eagerly anticipate a response.

I very much look forward to getting back to tracing our geneology and comparing notes. This is all quite fascinating.

Best regards,
Sean

bbhardie

Post by bbhardie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Sean Im so pleased Christine tracked you down.She is a real Bloodhound.Now that we have made contact,hopefully we can share info .As You will know by now Your Grandad Frank was 1 of 12 Children .Note there was 2 Peters in the Family ,one Died aged 8 ,so they Named the 12th Peter as well .Hopefully we have info you dont and vice versa .Christine will contact you via e mail She knows how to do these things better than me .Best Wishes Sean to you and your Sister Claudine. Billy Hardie

fiona

Post by fiona » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 pm

smcarberry wrote:Condolences regarding your father's passing. Sad, too, that you have so many parts of your Irish lineage not known as yet.
However, why not cut to the chase and call this person who is very accustomed to Americans based on his B n' B business:
Siobhan Cassidy, Derg House, Kevin Parade, Killaloe, (061 375599)

While you do so, kindly inquire if the family still has any knowledge of a connection with the Donnellans, as the 1901
census showed a visitor (i.e. boarder or family friend ?) in the household by the name of Michael Donnellan, a young boatman born Tipperary. I am a descendant of a Clare-born Michael Donnellan, with a Clare-born son Michael yet missing after an 1849 eviction in a town roughly 15 miles east of Killaloe. The possibility remains that the son was taken in by relatives in another
county and remained there. His American relatives have had no knowledge of this son, although I have found all the rest of
both the Carberry and Donnellan families. My own family was in the Paramus (NJ) area when I came along.

Sharon Carberry
now in Georgia

fiona

Post by fiona » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:38 pm

hi, my great grandfather was michael donnellan. his daughter molly was my grandmother.
Michael died in Roscommon and is buried in our family grave. he worked on the boats for some time and my father can recall him well. I remember a cousin of my grandmothers in killiloe used to write to my grandmother regularly.Thank you for the research you have found as i have only just started to look for my father. talk soon

fiona

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Fiona,

How great that you found this string of postings and could provide information on the later years of Michael Donnellan who lived in Killaloe for a time. Thanks very much for that. If you can upload a photo, that would be highly interesting, too.

Sharon Carberry
USA

fiona

Post by fiona » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Sharon,
Havnt got a picture of Michael Donlan ( i spelt his name wrong on last post ),but my father said he had a sallow complexion and had black hair,dark brown eyes, stocky build.
He ran a saw mill in Roscommon at one time and thats where my grandmother met my grandfather.
He worked for Dr Delaney of Longford in his later years as his driver and also drove his yacht for him and used to use the yacht himself at the weekend at Tarmonbarry to stay on.
My father said he was very sociable, cracking jokes,loved company.
He liked being on the move and my great grandmother liked being at home in Killiloe.
My Great Grandmother Mary Cassidy had lots of miscarriages due to being Rhesus Negative and had had two children living, Molly and Norah
Michael died in the late 1940s of heart failure.
Talk soon Fiona