Cassidys of Killaloe

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

fiona

Re: Cassidys of Killaloe

Post by fiona » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

hi Sharon
Forgot to say that there are still Donlons in Banagher co Offaly. Tom Donlon was in Banagher his sons John joe,Jim and other members are still there and might have more info.
Another brother Jim moved to London ,Putney i think.
Norah his sister married Paddy Hourigan and lived in Rathcabin in Tipp. I think she had seven boys and seven girls. One of her grandsons runs a supermarket in Riverstown.
Fiona

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks, Fiona. That's very thoughtful to add info on the living descendants, a direction that I will take in the event that I make a positive connection to the Michael Donnellan who married into that family. With increased resources now coming online, it might be possible to definitively include him or not, within the next few years. Can't wait for the 1926 census to become available - I hear that day is coming.

Sharon Carberry

Sean Cassidy

Post by Sean Cassidy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:42 am

It's been a while! Sharon, are you still researching? Checkin in, just in case.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Sean,

Nothing found in the Killaloe area itself. The Michael Donnellan I am tracking was the youngest in a widow's family evicted in 1849 from the Kilkishen area. The family never got back onto their townland or anywhere else in Kilkishen except the one daughter (my direct ancestor) who married a Carberry the next month and lived briefly on a nearby townland before emigrating. The only record that may apply to Michael is that of a young man of the right age raising a fuss at the Ennis Workhouse in 1850 or '51 (doing this from memory), as reported in petty offense records. I tried reviewing the workhouse book but that type of incident was not recorded. This only tells me that there is a prospect that Michael survived to become an adult, somewhere.

Thanks to the discovery of the parish's death register and its publication by Gerard Madden for the famine years, I did get the date for Michael's father Michael in 1849, several months prior to the eviction.

Sharon C.