Drumcliffe cemetery - grave of Mrs Agnes Degnan

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

monty

Drumcliffe cemetery - grave of Mrs Agnes Degnan

Post by monty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:53 am

:?: I'm trying to locate the burial plot of an old relative in Drumcliffe cemetery.
Can anybody tell me how I go about getting this information ?
Any suggestions would be most welcome.

good luck - monty

fionadeb

Re: Drumcliffe cemetery

Post by fionadeb » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Monty, if you tell me the name and year of burial, I may be able to help you with this query.
Fiona

monty

Post by monty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Hello Fiona

Thanks for your offer of assistance.

I'm trying to find the grave of Mrs Agnes Degnan - died 3rd May 1943

I do appreciate giving me your time

good luck - Monty

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Just to check, Monty: you did notice the two Degnans in the Index to Biographical Notices at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... piond1.htm right ? Or was that where you got the date of Agnes' death from ?

I thought I'd ask because one can access the Clare Champion obituary in the Clare County Library archives at the Local Studies Centre in Ennis (see http://www.clarelibrary.ie for contact details). Some of those obituaries contain a wealth of family information.

Just an idea.

Paddy

monty

Post by monty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Hello Paddy

You are spot on - I had done some research in the websites you suggested. Last month I paid a flying visit to Ireland and visited the National Library in Dublin and was able to view old copies of the Clare Champion on microfilm, it was very interesting.

It was nice of you to suggest away forward to me

good luck - monty

fionadeb

Post by fionadeb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:37 am

Hi Monty,
I'll see if I can track that down. It could take a few days.
Fiona

fionadeb

Re: Drumcliffe cemetery - grave of Mrs Agnes Degnan

Post by fionadeb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Monty, had a quick look in Drumcliffe yesterday but didn't spot a Degnan grave in the section used in the 1940s. However, I did not do a comprehensive search as a huge thunderstorm blew in and I had to run for cover. Do you know if Agnes was the first burial in the grave or could it be an older grave? If so, what are the possible family name(s) on that grave? Do we know if it has a headstone or not? Have you any details at all about it? I will check again when I get a chance.
Fiona

fionadeb

Post by fionadeb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Monty, we have found that grave. It is in the old Drumcliffe graveyard. Agnes is buried in the grave of her husband Thomas who died July 1928. I am member of the Clare Roots Society and we are currently completing transcription and photographing of the graves in that graveyard. if you give me an email address, I will send you a photo of the grave/stone.
cheers,
fiona

monty

Post by monty » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:39 pm

Hello Fiona

What can I say - well done to you and the Clare Roots Society.

what a fantastic result - I was hoping for exactly this outcome -

Thomas (her husband) - I didn't know his name but he was in the Royal Irish Constabulary - now I have his name I can check his service record at National Archives at Kew, London.

I will be pleased to see a photo of their headstone

my email merlin2008@tiscali.co.uk

good luck and many thanks - Monty

Paddy Casey

Drumcliffe cemetery - grave of Mrs Agnes Degnan - RIC record

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:22 am

Monty,

In case you have not already done so, you could contact Jim Herlihy for RIC info. Jim Herlihy, a member of the Garda Síochána, writes for historical society journals and is the author of The Royal Irish Constabulary: A Short History and Genealogical Guide with a Select List of Medal Awards and Casualties (FCP, 1997) and The Dublin Metropolitan Police: A Short History and Genealogical Guide (see http://www.fourcourtspress.ie/product.p ... ductID=273 ).

Jim is the definitive source when it comes to RIC info. He helped me enormously recently.

I have his email address if you are interested.

Paddy

monty

Post by monty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:48 pm

Hello Paddy

I am planning to be in London later on this month,all being well I shall make a visit to Kew and have a look at RIC and WW1 records.

On a previous visit to Kew I was able to browse Mr Herlihy's book which listed all the RIC in alphabetical order - at this point I would prefer not to bother Mr Herlihy until I have had a look at the records in Kew.

Thank you for your suggestion

good luck - Monty

fionadeb

Post by fionadeb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 pm

Monty,
I emailed you the photos of the Degnan grave on Friday. Did you receive the email?
Fiona

monty

Post by monty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:00 pm

Hello Fiona

Sorry I haven't acknowledged receipt of your email and attached photos earlier - I've been abit tied up this weekend.

The photos are great, I should be able to find the grave when I visit Drumcliffe later on this year.

I would like to thank you and your friends Olive and Kathleen in Clare Roots Society for helping me in this quest.

Thanks to the net I think I've traced your address - there is a letter in the post to you - I want the three of you to have a drink(s) on me.

Good luck to all of you - Monty