Clare evictions 1849 - a league table of landlords

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Clare evictions 1849 - a league table of landlords

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 am

Triggered by Michael's mention of Marcus Keane in a previous post I turned up this league table of evicting landlords by searching for 'Marcus Keane' in the British newspapers of 1600-1900. Whilst Marcus Keane may have been known as a notorious 'hard man' this table shows that he was not really pulling his weight when it came to throwing people onto the street to freeze and starve. Why, he only had 14 families to his credit while my namesake William Casey Esq. could claim 24 and the top scorer, Nicholas Westby Esq. (also mentioned by Michael) managed to ruin 181 families.

Paddy
Attachments
Clare evictions league table - Kennedy report - 1849.jpg
Clare evictions league table - Kennedy report - 1849.jpg (342.9 KiB) Viewed 10877 times

moc66

Re: Clare evictions 1849 - a league table of landlords

Post by moc66 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:27 am

Hi Paddy
Marcus Keane was also a landlord and while the evicted list might be low for his own estate, he would have a large part to play in the evictions from the Westby estates as he acted as agent for Westby. Agent also for other landlords in The Kilrush Union and he had a very busy time in 1848, '49 , '50 and '51. I am posting an editorial from the Freeman's Journal Tuesday Nov 28th 1848 which refers to Westby and Conynagham estates. Conynagham had estates in Kilkee and Cooraclare areas. This post could also fit in "Sable wings.... " Marcus Keane along with his brother Henry was involved in a long running dispute with Fr Michael Meehan PP on the building of a Church in Kilbaha but that is for another post. Paddy you seem to get your attachments up directly from the newspaper. I copy from pdf to word and then upload and it does not unfold like your posts, it is still there though. Also posting from the same paper, figures on the loss from the potato crop.
Michael
Attachments
Freeman's Journal Tues Nov 28th 1848.doc
(213.5 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
F reeman's Journal Tuesday Nov 28 1848.doc
(446.5 KiB) Downloaded 543 times

Paddy Casey

Forum attachments: MWSnap

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks very much for this input, Michael.

Re. the attachments, I'm not sure why mine appear directly and yours appear as links. I "cut out" the required bit of the newspaper screen image with MWSnap and save it as a JPG file (the MWSnap default) to my desktop. Then in the forum New Topic screen I Browse to the file on the desktop and upload it to the forum. The process is very quick.

Paddy

* MWSnap: see http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html It's free and widely acclaimed and used. I find it very easy to use and it fulfils my needs perfectly. Before installing it I did a careful search on the Web to see whether there were any reports of it carrying malware of any kind but it got a clean bill.

Doug

Re: Clare evictions 1849 - a league table of landlords--another

Post by Doug » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:22 am

Good Evening All
If you find these numbers astounding then you should find a copy of one of the two books I asked about the other day.
"The Great Irish Potato Famine" by James S Donnelly, Jr. Copyright 2001, Sutton Publishing.
The ISBN 0-7509-2632-5
Doug
Douglas Burnett
Satellite Beach
Florida

Paddy Casey

Re: Clare evictions 1849 - a league table of landlords

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Not astounded at all, Doug, not astounded at all. It seems that it was par for the course in those days. Having said that, the depths of man's inhumanity to man never cease to impress me. Clare 150 years ago, Darfur today.

I did read the Donnelly book but did not reply to your posting because, not being an academic historian, I couldn't give an expert opinion on its value. I took it at its face value and thought that I had benefited from reading it. I would certainly recommend it but as a non-expert.

Another very interesting famine source is the RTE sound series (see http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... it=RTE#p78 ). Those who wish to listen to it without having to install the intrusive Real player can download the free Real Alternative (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Alternative and http://www.free-codecs.com/download/rea ... native.htm ).

Paddy