Clare Hurling Team, Boston 1921

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

JPC

Clare Hurling Team, Boston 1921

Post by JPC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:47 am

This is the first in a series of historic photographs of Clare people I'm posting to ensure their wider distribution and long-term preservation.

I'm starting with group photographs as Forum participants may be able to identify the people shown or forward them on to others who may be related or otherwise interested.

The attached photo is of the Clare Hurling Team of Boston in 1921. It shows my great-grandfather's brother, Michael ('Miko') Killeen (second row from the front, second from the right). The names of the other team members are given, although they are a bit hard to read.

The photo may be of interest to those researching post-WWI emigration from Clare to the US. Michael Killeen, along with several other members of his family, left Newmarket-on-Fergus for New York between 1921 and 1924.

Michael, for example, sailed for New York on board the Caronia in April 1921. I understand the Team was made up of Clare expatriates: doubtlessly Forum participants will correct me if otherwise.

I'd be very happy to hear from descendants of the other people shown.

As you can see, the copy of have is not the best quality. I'd be keen to know if anyone has one closer to the original. It was taken at Liam Hogan Studios, which I guess was in Boston.

Regards, JPC.
Attachments
Clare hurling team Boston 1921.jpg
Clare hurling team Boston 1921.jpg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 3505 times