Clare-born Coughlin resided CT, died 2005 NY as Fennel widow

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Clare-born Coughlin resided CT, died 2005 NY as Fennel widow

Post by smcarberry » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Clearing out accumulated info collected during the past year. Perhaps this can be helpful to someone. I found it while
doing a general search on Rhinebeck, my hometown. It is ironic that now, so many years after leaving the town for
college, I now can identify the Clare families who have had ties with it.

Sharon Carberry

"Louisa Fennell, 94 passed away Monday, December 26, 2005, at the Ferncliff Nursing Home. [Rhinebeck, NY]

Mrs. Fennell was a former resident of Newtown, Ct. and New York City. She was a member of Saint Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church.

Born May 3, 1911 in County Clare, Ireland, Louisa was the daughter of James and Louisa (Honan) Coughlin.

She worked as a nanny after her immigration from Ireland. She was proud of her heritage and her adopted country. She volunteered in her children's schools and her church.

Mrs. Fennel was predeceased by her husband John J. Fennell.

She is survived by six children Mary Louise Dunkley of Waretown, NJ; Bernadette Herr of Warner, NH; Joan Dolan of Gaithersburg, MD; Susan Ryan of Oradell, NJ; Irene Gallagher of Valley Forge, PA; and Laura Gilhooly of Stanfordville, NY; a sister Theresa Kehoe of Ireland, 16 Grandchildren, 5 Great Grandchildren, 2 Great-Great Grandchild and many nieces and nephews.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Thursday, 10:30 M, December 28, 2005 at the Ferncliff Nursing Home, Chapel, 52 River Rd., Rhinebeck, NY 12572. Friends may call at the Nursing Home Chapel from 9:30 to 10:30 AM.

Burial will be Friday, 1PM, in the St. Rose Cemetery, Newtown, Ct.

Memorial donations may be made to Covenant House, 346 W 17th St, New York, NY 10011-5020. or Ferncliff Nursing Home, 21 Ferncliff Dr., Rhinebeck, NY 12572.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Dapson-Chestney Funeral Home, 51 W. Market St., Rhinebeck."

moc66

Re: Clare-born Coughlin resided CT, died 2005 NY as Fennel widow

Post by moc66 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi Sharon
I have read with interest your latest post and the reference to St Rose's Cemetery, Newtown which I have visited a number of times in the earlier years of this decade. I am posting a link to this site, http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ctgcn ... ptions.htm, which gives the transcriptions of the tombstones in the oldest section of St Rose's. The two parishes of Kilballyowen and Moyarta which made up most of the area of the Loop Head Peninsula have natives buried in St Rose's. The late Louisa Fennell is actually mentioned in the list as her late husband was interred there in 1992 in the older section. She was born in Ireland and it is possible her husband was as well. The older section of St Rose's has a majority of names which originated in South west Clare from the two parishes of Carrigaholt and Cross the modern names, and were part of the Kilrush Union. The area was devastated during the Great Famine and huge emigration took place from this area during and after the famine. Sandy Hook now part of Newtown CT was a magnet for many people and families during those years from the Loop Head area. It was very industrial and without going into detail gave employment to a large amount of people from the Loop area. The Clare names in St Rose's and there descendants have relatives still on the Loop Head Penninsula. Louisa Fennell has Honan in her family and it is a great west Clare name. Also Fennell, (Finnell) are very common in the area along with Keane , Keating, McMahon, Brennan,Crotty, Houlihan, Blake and many more are to be found in both places. My intrest in St Rose's was took off many years ago when a friend of mine Paul Murphy ended up there along with a colleague from Washington who was searching for his roots. Paul had a few years previously written a history of the two parishes called 'Cuculainn's Leap' and as he looked around the cemetery he realized it contained the remains of many exiles from West Clare.
I visited the place many times trying to find who got there first to Sandy Hook and I will say it is a work still in progress. I am attaching to this mail a piece from the Freeman's Journal about emigration circa 1851. It refers to a tragedy in 1850 and it can be accessed in the http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... kilkee.htm. I will be back to this subject again.
Slán moc.
Attachments
Freeman's Journal Thursday May 1st 1851.doc
(157 KiB) Downloaded 552 times

moc66

Post by moc66 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:46 am

Hi Sharon
Here in West Clare burning the midnight oil with a gale howling outside 26th of June very non June weather. In the last post refered to the huge emigration from Clare, of settled people locking up, turning the key and heading for the New World. John Keating's son could be one of the Keatings who ended up in Sandy Hook! Here is brief account from the freeman's journal of razing of Kilbaha village by the agent Marcus Keane on behalf of the absentee landlord Nicklas Westby. Keane was married to Westby's sister and wielded a huge amount of power in the West Clare area. Those tenants who were evicted may have crossed the Atlantic as well and ended up in Sandy Hook CT. This report was carried by many other papers at the time.
Michael
Attachments
F J Monday, September 15, 1851.pdf
(330.18 KiB) Downloaded 517 times

Paddy Casey

Emigration from Kilbaha 1851

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:02 am

Here's a few lines from the Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Thursday, May 1, 1851 mentioning the emigration of John Keating et al. from Kilbaha.

Paddy

P.S. A search of the British newspapers 1600-1900 throws up 158 entries related to Marcus Keane. Obviously quite a celebrity in his time. P.
Attachments
Killbaha emigration 1851 #1.jpg
Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland), Thursday, May 1, 1851
Killbaha emigration 1851 #1.jpg (484.6 KiB) Viewed 11940 times

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 am

Ah, yes, Marcus Keane...I know him well from all those reports of the day back then. But I did not know he was related to
Westby. He sure was active. I must dig out the Keane biography I have from the Chicago area and check to see if there
might be a connection. You know, anytime one of the well-heeled decided to break away and come to the States, they
immediately fit into the middle class here. However, in the Mid-West, farmers' sons could also become doctors and
lawyers after not too long. How proud the immigrants must have been, to see their children do so well.

Sharon C. in GA ("Hotlanta" in the 90s F.)