John O'Donoghue and Bedelia Fitzpatrick Of Ennis, 1839

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

johnven

John O'Donoghue and Bedelia Fitzpatrick Of Ennis, 1839

Post by johnven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am

I am trying to trace my gg grandfather and gg grandmother's origins in Ireland.
From the ships record (attached), John O'Donoghue, age 26, and his wife Bedelia Fitzpatrick, aged 19, arrived in Australia 7th January 1840, on the "Alfred" - departed 1839. This would mean John was born around 1813 and Bedelia around 1820. John is listed as a coachmaker and Bedelia a needlewoman. Their native place is registered as Ennis.
John's parents are James O'Donoghue, a farmer from Ennis and Annie Kelly, and Bedelia's are John Fitzpatrick, a farmer from near Ennis, and Juliana O'Brien.
Interestingly when they registered their children's births in NSW John is John Donoghue and Bedelia is listed as Bridget. Whether these are the correct names and the shipping clerk got it wrong I don't know. Certainly all the official documents I've found thus far use Donoghue and Bridget and the family have always referred to them as such.
John died in 1846 and Bedelia (Bridget) remarried and this adds another whole layer to their story.
From Griffith's valuations I have also found what could be John's parent's farm (document attached).
I'm well and truly stuck at this time and hope that someone may have further information or be able to suggest a way forward.
I have further information on the family in NSW that I'm happy to share with anyone interested although I have to say they are were fairly elusive and my research here is ongoing.

John Venables
Attachments
John O'Donohoe - Griffith's valuation 1847-1864.jpg
John O'Donohoe - Griffith's valuation 1847-1864.jpg (211.33 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
John Donohue arrival Alfred 7 Jan 1840.jpg
John Donohue arrival Alfred 7 Jan 1840.jpg (450.19 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
1840 7 Jan John O'Donoghue arrival Alfred.pdf
(486.76 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
1840 7 Jan Bedelia O'Donoghue arrival Alfred.pdf
(501.52 KiB) Downloaded 438 times