Finding Tierney's in Lough/Luogh North

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Longborn

Finding Tierney's in Lough/Luogh North

Post by Longborn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 am

I am looking for any info for my family tree, my great grandmother wrote a letter to my father in 1932 address lough north Clare her name was Mary Tierney née Shannon her mother's family was Carey.
She said in the letter dad's uncle Peter had a farm and Aunty Bridget was hoping he would come to Ireland.
I have been unable to find where she is buried and what happened to the others.
Mary had 5 children who came to Australia all were to be well respected in either the police dept. Or the hotel industry.
Can anyone help me locate living family or where they my be buried :?:
Mary children. Stephen. Norah. Martin. Susan. Patrick. Mary, others I know there are but not sure of names.

Paddy Casey

Finding Tierney's in Luogh North

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:58 pm

The spelling "lough" is probably wrong.

Your family is almost certainly from the Clare townland called Luogh North (see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... _north.htm). The Griffith's Valuation lists Shannons and a Carey there (ca. 1855). The 1901 census lists Shannon, Carey, and Tierney. There is lots more information about the families and area in the Clare Library website. There is even a Shannon obituary listing and superb maps of the area.

Paddy

Longborn

Re: Finding Tierney's in Lough North

Post by Longborn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks as I said I have a letter sent from there in 1932. But where they went after that is a blank and I would love to visit but need to know where to go.
You are nice to answer, more folks out there the better.

Longhorn

Paddy Casey

Re: Finding Tierney's in Luogh North

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:49 am

If you simply want to know "....where they went after that..." the easiest way, in my experience, would be to get in touch with local people with your family names and also call the local post office in case the postmaster/-mistress is a long-time resident with a good memory (they often are). Use the phone to do this research (see http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... =phone#p31). If you are at ease calling strangers like this you will probably have your information in no time and - possibly more important - you may find yourself talking to some very interesting people who will tell you things about your family and the local area and its social history.

Re. social history, you must read the book "Family and Community in Ireland" by Conrad M. Arensberg and Solon T. Kimball. It's set in Luogh in the 1930s and mentions your family names. It's over 400 pages and very meaty. You are amazingly lucky. There aren't many family historians who have the social history of "their" patch documented in this depth.

Paddy
Last edited by Paddy Casey on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Longborn

Post by Longborn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks I will go to amazon see if I can get the book and also cold calls well no drama there I am in Human resources again I thank you

Longhorn :D

Paddy Casey

Re: Finding Tierney's in Luogh North

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Off you go, then !

Please do come back to this forum later and tell us about the results of your research so that the other members can profit from your experience.

Paddy

Longborn

Post by Longborn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:34 pm

You are a star I have just ordered book from amazon will be here 28th sept and yes I will post on line

Longhorn