McGrath / Halpin Descendants

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Jim Wall

McGrath / Halpin Descendants

Post by Jim Wall » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Looking for any descendants of my great grandparents ,.... John McGrath married to Mary Halpin in the 1850's in Co. Clare. All the siblings Baptised in Kikee parish from 1855 thru 1873 , so I have reason to believe John & Mary were married in Kilkee parish ( eventhou no record in the parish registars ) .........Unlike my grandmother, Mary McGrath who came to America, I have reason to believe that several of the siblings stayed in Co. Clare and I would like to make contact with any of these descandants ...........any help / contact would be greatly appreciated..........many thanks, Jim

mcreed

Re: McGrath / Halpin Descendants

Post by mcreed » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Jim, there are five McGraths in the residential phonebook for Kilkee. Might be worth phoning or writing to them.

http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/q/name/wh ... ESIDENTIAL

Mike

Jim Wall

Post by Jim Wall » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Mike,
Thank You for your reply. I will write them all and with the Luck Of the Irish, maybe one ( or more ) might be a descendant. Thanks again,..............Jim

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Hello Jim - have you any info on road/street or area in which your ancestors lived ?? I know that both Halpins and McGraths lived in the townland/neighbourhood of KILFEARAGH - about 2 miles from Kilkee on the Carrigaholt Road. Lots of info can be found on www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy and at bottom right of page - select PARISH INDEX - and then KILFEARAGH which is the name of Kilkee Parish. You will see the various graveyards in the area and might find some details. Miriam.

Jim Wall

Post by Jim Wall » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Miriam,
I thank you for your posted reply. I believe I found the oldest sibling in my grandmother's family. Catherine McGrath married Martin Carmody and I think I found both of their graves on the Clare site ...." Kilfearagh Graveyard, Kilkee " . Catherine's husband, Martin Carmody, died in 1894 and Catherine passed away in 1925 per the inscription on the stone ( I am fortunate that a Clare Librarian is going to try and see if he can obtain Catherine's obit for me thru one of the old newspapers ) ....Also, there is No record of my great grandparents being buried there . There are over 200 "unknown" graves (this info was complied in 1988)....I believe my grgrandparents are probably buried there too...
In the 1901 census, Catherine, a widow, moved back into her parents house ( DED number 89/14/1 ).......I found Catherine on the 1911 census too ( my grgrandparents were deceased then ( John in 1904 & Mary (Halpin) McGrath in 1907 ).......
Miriam, again, I thank you for your input ( I'll have to look at the lists of those graveyards again ), but I believe My grgrandparentsare buried in the same graveyard as Catherine & her husband Martin Carmody.........Jim

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Jim

I have sent you a private message on this forum with details of one of your living cousins in Kilkee.

Paddy

Jim Wall

Post by Jim Wall » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi Paddy,
I have NOT rec'd a private message from you .......please post again / or e-mail me at jlw573@aol.com............Jim