Griffiths - Census

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

puritanlane

Griffiths - Census

Post by puritanlane » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 am

Is there way to relate a parcel described in Griffiths to a dwelling described in the 1901 and 1911 Census? For example, Edmond Minogue appears in Griffiths as leasing land at Fossa Beg having a map reference of 26. The 1901 and 1911 census report that his widow, Ellen, was living at Fossa Beg. Thus, the question: Was she on the same land as Edmond was leasing in 1855?

Michael Monahan

pwaldron

Re: Griffiths - Census

Post by pwaldron » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:40 pm

You need to check the cancelled books at the Valuation Office in Dublin. See http://www.valoff.ie/ These books allow one to follow the occupiers of any piece of land from Griffith up to the 1970s.

The Mormons have made black-and-white microfilms of these colour-coded books, but they may still be of some help to those living overseas.

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Michael

I looked at plot 26 on the Griffith’s map on askaboutireland.ie and noted the general shape of the plot and some features and where it was on the road into Scarriff.
Then I went to the osi.ie site (ordnance survey of Ireland) – I tend to stay on the Clare Library website and select “Maps” and then scroll down to “external links”.
This gives me a map of Ennis (post 1887), but I zoom out till I get the whole of County Clare.

Then I put the cursor a little west of Scariff town and zoomed in again.
Straightaway I saw the plot (albeit without the red boundary lines).
This map was made 1887 – 1910, and at first I thought there were no houses left, but then I saw that there had been a new road made along the back of the plot and a new house built there. I think this may have been where Ellen lived. If you put the cursor on the house and switch to the 6” map you are brought back to famine times again, and you will see that the new house was built a little away from a house that was there in those times – maybe where Edmund lived. The new house has a bohereen going back to the well – I think the old house was at the bend on the bohereen.

The new straight road made along the back of the plot was probably part of the public works after the famine. Very many “New Lines” - also called “Meal (pronounced “male”) Roads”, because work was paid for in meal - were made at that time.

Finally if you switch to the “ortho 2005” you will see how the plot looks now – after the property boom.

None of this answers your question exactly, but just may be helpful and interesting.

Sheila

puritanlane

Post by puritanlane » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Shelia:

Thanks for the osi suggestion. I had been to the askaboutireland site. I also use Google Earth to take a look at the parcel. The outline is pretty much the same as is shown on the Griffiths maps and the osi map. Thanks again.

Michael Monahan

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:03 am

Michael,
I looked again at plot 26, and now I see that the house in the later 25" map is in the same position as it always was. I made my mistake when I switched to the next map up and the cursor was a little to the north of where the house was shown. This time I switched to the 6" above that one (in colour) and found that it was dead on; likewise when I switched to the ortho 25.

So forget all I said about the "old house", the well, the bohereen and the bend!

Sheila

puritanlane

Post by puritanlane » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Shelia:

I agree.

Michael Monahan