Seeking info on Flanagan family - Ennis and Ennistymon

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

BCarol

Seeking info on Flanagan family - Ennis and Ennistymon

Post by BCarol » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

I am researching the Flanagan family who lived in both Ennis and Ennistymon. Presently I am working on these ancestors:

1901 census, John and Kate Flanagan on Bogberry, Ennistymon, Parish Kilmanaheen, Barony Corcomroe
1911 census, John and Kate Flanagan, house 2 in Cloughannagan Lane, Ennis No. 2 Urban, Parish Drumcliff, Townland Clonroad Beg.
1916 They returned to Ennistymon. In 1922, they were still living there once again on Bogberry Road.

John was a bootmaker.

Until recently I had always thought that my gr. grandfather George Patrick "Pat" Flanagan was the first of the family to emigrate to the US, under suspicious circumstances and an assumed name, in 1898. I have learned, through further research that other Flanagans arrived in 1892 and possibly earlier.

I have uncovered what I believe is John and Kate Flanagan's marriage date. It is as follows:

John Flanagan and Kate Coghlan were married on November 7, 1869 in Clare. John reports that his father's name is George Flanagan. Kate's father may have been Pat Coghlan.

I would like to order a copy of their marriage record but the HSE only has marriage records back to 1920.

Does anyone have any idea of where I could order a marriage record from Clare from 1869 with the information I have? Or, if this family sounds familiar to anyone I would enjoy exchanging information.

Thank you.

pwaldron

Re: Seeking info on Flanagan family - Ennis and Ennistymon

Post by pwaldron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:43 am

You can apply for a photocopy of the marriage record by post using the form at
http://www.groireland.ie/docs/MarriageEnglishApp.doc
or you can apply in person at the GRO office in the Irish Life Centre in Dublin.

The photocopy will contain some details not transcribed at familysearch.org but you do not say whether you got the information that you already have there or from some other commercial body.

BCarol

Re: Seeking info on Flanagan family - Ennis and Ennistymon

Post by BCarol » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

Thank you for replying. I was confused by the forms at the website. After I posted, I received a note from the administrator there that I could apply for a copy by using a form to fill out and not the online form.

I've done that and sent it.

I don't know if it has more information than family search.org but it is worthwhile to send for it. Thanks again.