location of Bleanaligg

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

katrina

location of Bleanaligg

Post by katrina » Fri May 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Can anyone help me with the location of a place called Bleanaligg please. A document relating to an event in 1853 refers to a place of this name. However a newspaper reference to the same event names the place as Blanalough.
The closest I can find in the Townland index is Blean in Kiladysert parish, but the newspaper article describes Blanalough as being near Milltown Malbay.
Thanks for any assistance.

Polycarp

Re: location of Bleanaligg

Post by Polycarp » Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am

Possibly Ballymackea Beg or Ballymackea More, in the parish of Kilmurry-Ibrickan, Katrina.
Kilmurry-Ibrickan is near Kilfarboy (Miltown Malbay). Ballymackea has been known as Bleanleaye and as Bleannleaga in the past.
Polycarp.

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm copying here a posting from the Rootsweb Clare List which my brother and a Clareman Donal de Barra wrote some years ago (2005) and which supports Polycarp's suggestions.

Brendan Burke wrote:

>The Clare Journal of 12 October 1778 carries a list of properties in the Barony of Ibricane to be let by George Stacpoole, Grosvenor Place London. Among them is Blainnaliga, which my family history leads me to believe is probably the townland of Annagh in the parish of Kilmurry-Ibrickane.
>I have been unable to find Blainnaliga, nor anything like it, in the usual sources. To me, it neither looks nor sounds right and I believe it is a misprint and/or an incorrect transliteration of the Irish placename into English. If the advertisement was prepared in London this would be likely.

Better swallow hard, Brendan, because I'm afraid your gone a bit off track.

Bleanaliaga is/was in Ballymackea Beg, the townland next to Annagh. The name is not in current use but occurs frequently in documents from the 19th century.
I have not an opportunity to check just now whether it is on the first edition ordnance survey map but it is mentioned in the O.S name books as"Bleanleaga, a sub denomination, Blean na liaige, Hollow of the standing stones. ". the word Blean, meaning hollow is given in Dineen, and also in Joyce's Irish Place Names. Liaga is the genitive/plural of " leac" a (standing) stone.
Exactly which hollow is intended I cannot say and I don't believe the stones are still standing, if they exist at all, as such.
The place gained some notoriety as the home of the Stacpooles who were involved in the infamous murder case documented by Harry Hughes in an article entitled 'Hatchet Tongs and Candlestick' in the Clare
Association Yearbook 2003.
Any chance you could publish the full text from the Clare Journal ?
Donal De Barra
Miltown Malbay

Regards
Lucille Ellis

katrina

Post by katrina » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 am

Thank you Polycarp & Lucille! This information is exactly what I wanted, as the document I was referring to relates to the hanging of Honora Stacpoole for the murder you mention.