James Welch & Ellen Kane (Circleville, Ohio USA) Co Clare?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

KaneGenealogy

James Welch & Ellen Kane (Circleville, Ohio USA) Co Clare?

Post by KaneGenealogy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 am

Hello – I’m a first time visitor to this website. I have some potential ancestry in County Clare and am hoping that someone out there might be able to offer some assistance. Allow me to explain:

My great great great grandfather was a man named James Welch. As I am sure many of you know, Welch is a very common surname in Ireland. From my research thus far, it is more commonly spelled Walsh, but because of the way it is annunciated it is also spelled as Welch and even Welsh. In my research I have seen it spelled in various ways. For the purpose of this post I will used the spelling Welch. In any event, James Welch was born about 1831 in Ireland. For years now I have been trying to determine his origins in Ireland. I know nothing of his parents or any potential brothers and sisters. James moved to Circleville, Ohio (south of Columbus, Ohio – a major city in the state) around 1852-1854. He married a woman named Ellen Kane (also spelled Cain / Cane / Kain etc) and they had three children (John, Edward and Mary. They may have had another daughter named Amanda as well but this is pure speculation and based on a cemetery record that may or may not be correct). James fought in the United States Civil War from 1861-1865 (Company E, 73rd regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry). He was injured several times and because of this his military pension file is very long. Multiple documents list his origin as County Kerry. There is a single document however that lists his origin as “Kent”. ames obituary from 1913 lists him as being from County Clare, even though multiple documents from his pension file say Kerry. Many years of searching has not revealed the answer to this problem. I continue to search for James' origins. In the meantime however, I have begun to search for the roots of Ellen Kane, the 1st wife of James Welch (born 1831 in Ireland – died 1913 in Ohio), formerly of 213 West Ohio Street Circleville, Ohio, USA.

As I mentioned, James Welch was married to Ellen Kane. I find Ellen's name written in various was: Kane, Cane, Cain, Kain, etc. I also find her first name written as Ella, Elenor, Eleanor etc. I don't have her exact birth date in front of me but she was similar to age to James Welch (born about 1831). I know very little about her life, although I do know she died in Circleville in 1879 for unknown reasons. Her children were John, Edward and Mary Welch. At the time of her death her son John Welch was marrying Agnes McKenzie, and they would ultimately have a farm in Galena, Ohio. The second son Edward was serving in the military in the Dakota territory (Fort Meade). The final daughter Mary Welch would marry Patrick O’Connor of Circleville, but would die prematurely (perhaps following childbirth) in 1881, only two years after the passing of her mother. Ellen Kane married James Welch between about 1852 and 1854 (I have the exact date but not in front of me at the moment). I know almost nothing about her extended family and parents.

In one United States census documents (I think around 1880 or so) I find Ellen "K" and James Welch living next door to a Michael Kane & Catherine Kane Malone. Next door to them is Mary (Kane) Sweeney and her husband. I can show through US records that Michael Kane, Catherine Kane Malone (then a widow) and Mary (Kane) Sweeney were all siblings. I have not been able to show that Ellen was another sibling. However, the fact that they are all neighbors seems to be significant. Beyond this, when James Welch died, many of his friends and family testified via affidavits (which I have as part of his extensive civil war pension file).

One of the people who signed several documents was a "Michael Kane/Cain/Cane". Again this seems significant to be. In addition, Catherine Kane Malone remarried a John Lyons. James Welch remarried an Anna Lyons (I haven't been able to show that John Lyons was related to Anna Lyons). Again, this seems to indicate a close family connection between James Welch and Ellen Kane and the family that once lived next door, confirmed siblings Michael Kane, Catherine Kane Malone Lyons and Mary Kane Sweeney.

Fortunately, death records and oral history from living descendents for the three aforementioned Kane siblings seem to indicate their parents as of Jeremiah KANE and Johanah (LENNON/LEONARD) KANE (I get this information form multiple death certificates). Also, Catherine Kane Malone Lyons had a daughter named Mary Malone. Her death certificate indicates that her mother Catherine Kane Malone Lyons was born in County Clare. Could this be the origin of Jeremiah KANE and Johanah (LENNON/LEONARD) KANE and the rest of the Kane family?

Please note that the death certificate of Mary Malone, daughter of Catherine Kane Malone Lyons is the main piece of information that links the Kane family to County Clare. This death certificate indicates that the PARENTS of Mary Malone were both from County Clare. The accuracy of this document cannot be verified. Also, it's seems odd to me that James Welch had an obituary which listed his origin as County Clare. Could it be perhaps that a family member or friend related to James was thinking of the Kane family and not the Welch family when writing the obituary, and made a mistake in listing Clare as the origin for James?

I'm hoping that I might be able to prove that Ellen Kane Welch was a sibling of the other Kanes I have listed. If not, I feel that she may have been a cousin or another relative of some sort. Either way, the Kanes living next store seem to be relatives of some sort and I'm hoping that they might be the key to determining Ellen Kane Welch's roots. I hope that if I may locate their origins in Ireland, I might eventually be able to learn more about Ellen Kane Welch. It seems that there just might be enough information to track this down. If Ellen wasn't a sibling, perhaps the extended family of Jeremiah Kane and Johanah Lennon/Leonard Kane might be expanded on. Perhaps Ellen Kane (Welch) might be found there. And in the end, maybe we'll learn something about James too. After all, one of his obituaries said he was from Clare (I still think he was likely from Kerry).

I’ve written many professional genealogist regarding this problem thus far and have received little response. I’ve also written the Clare Roots website but have no heard anything back as of yet. Is there anyone out there who might be able to advise me on this problem and how I might go about solving it? I would be most grateful for any input. My end goal it to trace all of my Irish roots (which are extensive) to their native counties and hopefully trace each line back several generations (if at all possible).

I am also interested in solving the genealogy of my ancestor James Welch, although I only have one obituary that lists his place of birth as County Clare, while multiple documents as part of his pension file list his origin as County Kerry. Could he have been born in Clare but raised in Kerry? Unfortunately, I know of no siblings or extended family to help me search for him overseas. I have some information that James might have had a brother or some other relative similar in age named William Welch (husband to Mary Tracy, also living in Circleville, Ohio) but at this point this is pure speculation. Can anyone out there advise me on how I might determine if County Clare was indeed where James Welch was from? I will list his two obituaries at the end of this message as a reference.

Thanks again for reading this lengthy message! I am most grateful for any information you can provide me with.

- KaneGenealogy

PS. There was some incidental oral history from many decades ago that my ancestor James Welch may have come from a place called "Welsh Island". The person, a descendent of James noted that the place might not be called that anymore. Does this sound like an actual place in Ireland or elsewhere? I couldn't find any information about it. Thank you!

"1913 Democratic Watchman (Circleville, Ohio) - Aug 31st Welsh. James Welsh, a resident of Circleville, more than sixty years, and a veteran soldier of the Civil War, died at the National Military Home, in Dayton. O., last Saturday night, at 11 o'clock, after a brief illness, aged 83 years. The deceased came from Ireland to Circleville in 1852, and since resided here. He was twice married, his first wife dying years ago, leaving three children, two sons and a daughter, the latter who married. Patrick J. O'Connor, of Columbus, dying some years ago. The two sons are living, Edward Welsh, in Columbus, and John Welsh on a farm in Delaware County. His second wife, Mrs. Anna Smith, maiden name Roberts, survives him. Mr. Welsh served in Co. E, 73rd O. V. I., and was well preserved for his advanced years. Last winter he was admitted into the Military Home at Dayton, returning home on parole in June, and a few weeks ago returned to the Home at Dayton. The remains were brought to his home at Circleville, Monday evening. Funeral services at St. Joseph's church, Tuesday, 9 a. m."

"Union Herald 1913 Obituaries (Aug 24th) SERVED THROUGH WAR
Death of James Welch, Civil War Veteran, Hastened by Fractured Hip James Welch, of this city, a veteran of the Civil war, died Sunday morning at 8 o'clock at the hospital at the Soldier's Home at Dayton, aged 84 years. Mr. Welch was born in County Clare, Ireland. Coming to this country in 1853. At the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted in Company E, 73d regiment and served until the close of the war. He was in the battle of Gettysburg and expected to attend the celebration there, but was unable owing to feeble health. He went to the hosptial (sic) in Dayton for treatment and some weeks ago fell, fracturing his hip and this hastened his death. It was known last week that he could not recover and his wife was with him at the hospital several days. She had started back to Dayton Sunday, but he died before she reached him. Mr. Welch was twice married. His first wife was Ellen Caine, who died many years ago. Three children were born to them. A daughter, Mary died in childhood. Two sons are living. His second wife was Miss. Anna Smith, and they were married October 5 1879. Besides his widow, he leaves two sons, John Welch, of Galena, and Edward Welch of Columbus, and six grandchildren and one great grandchild. The body will be brought to Circleville this evening and the funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock from St. Joseph's church. Burial will be in St. Joseph's cemetery."

smcarberry

Re: James Welch & Ellen Kane (Circleville, Ohio USA) Co Clar

Post by smcarberry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Conor,

What an interesting background, which you have so well documented. It's a pity that all your collection of data has only served to muddy the waters, rather than point to a definitive Irish origin for your James Welsh. Maybe someone with a West Clare origin can come forward with helpful information on your Kane and Malone lines. I say that as a descendant with ancestors all from East Clare, where those surname spellings are atypical. My family did have intermarriages with Welsh and Tracy in Illinois, so I keep an eye out for anything on those surnames. I'll keep your James Welsh in mind as I do online research, but it could take years before anything relevant appears. I think you likely realize that the progress you have in mind will happen only after an experienced genealogist does a thorough review and can get more information from you. If you're lucky, a family historian in one of your lines might serve in that role, so that might occur as a result of your message board postings. Otherwise, contact me and we can discuss something tailored to your preferences.

There is one question I can answer immediately: that of a Welsh family of Clare having children in Kerry in the early 1830s.
From an earlier posting of mine on this Forum:

Diocese of KERRY, Parish of TRALEE R.C.
Baptism of MARY WALSH of CLARE on 30 October 1831
Name MARY WALSH
Address CLARE
Father JOHN WALSH
Mother CATHERINE NASH
Sponsor 1 MARY O'LYNCH
in
Clare parents with children's baptisms in Kerry
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... ilit=walsh

Best of luck,
Sharon Carberry
Georgia USA

KaneGenealogy

Post by KaneGenealogy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:35 am

Hello! Thank you for writing back. So sorry it took me many months to get back to you. I spoke with someone at the group "Clare Roots" and it looks like they have records of some sort for Jeremiah Kane and Johannah Leonard! Of course, they are by no means direct relatives of my ancestors Ellen Kane, but it is certain that their children lived next door to Ellen at the turn of the century. Surely they must have been related some how. Since one of James Welch's obits states he was born in Clare, I'm starting to think that Ellen and James might have known each other in Ireland. James' military pension file says he was from Kerry, but he could have been born in Clare and raised in Kerry.

The verification of positive records for Jeremiah Kane and Johannah Leonard in Clare is great news but unfortunately Clare Roots is inundated with requests for genealogy research and I have not heard back from them in many months. I hear they do amazing work, but it's been so long since I've heard back from them. Does anyone else out there know of any professional genealogists outside of this group that do research in County Clare? The history of my great great great grandparents Ellen Kane and James Welch, formerly of Circleville, Ohio is my greatest genealogy brick wall and I am determined to learn who their parents were and where exactly in Ireland they were from. Any input would be most appreciated. Thank you for reading my message! When all is said and done, I plan on visiting Clare to see it for myself :)

very best wishes,

KCW

jkane13

Post by jkane13 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:33 pm

My ancestor Michael Thomas Kane was born in the early 1830's in Co Clare. What I was told was to look for Keane as the spelling. No connections yet though.

He married a woman in Jefferson Co Ohio in the early 1850's. I have not found much on her either.

They moved to Brown Co Wisconsin and from there I have been able to track the family.

About all I can say is look for Keane in Clare, not any other spelling.
- Jeff

KaneGenealogy

Post by KaneGenealogy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks for the tip! I've heard that Keane was a good alternative spelling but have never really looked into it. Thanks again!