Nugents of Corrakyle - Tomgraney

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Darryl.Nugent

Nugents of Corrakyle - Tomgraney

Post by Darryl.Nugent » Sun May 18, 2008 5:35 pm

My great-great grandfather James Nugent had 3 sons Francis, Martin and Edmond(Edward/Ned?). They were born in the 1820s/1830s. Francis (my great grandfather) migrated to England and married a Clare girl Ellen Darcy (Dorcey). Ned, I believe migrated to America and Martin remained in Clare. There may have been other Nugents living in the area of East Clare. Any help or advice about tracing members of my family either living or dead would be appreciated.

darryl.nugent@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Darryl Nugent

Fran

Re: Nugents of Corrakyle - Tomgraney

Post by Fran » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Hello,
My husbands family of Nugents comes from Scarriff! they have completed their family tree.
Johnny Nugent was my husbands Grandfather not sure if there is a connection but if you send me more info I will compair his tree.

Regards,

Fran Nugent

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Darryl,

Have you checked out the 23 Nugents in the Clare Tithe Applotment (1820s) records at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... oNurse.htm and the 24 Nugents in the Griffith Valuation (ca. 1855) at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... fithn2.htm and the other references to the name Nugent (I stopped counting at 50) on the Clare Library site at http://www.clarelibrary.ie ?

If not, cancel everything for the next 3 weeks. You are going to have a ball.

Paddy

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:00 pm

While I do not have news of Daryl's family's Edmund, I have a feeling that I should post the below information for a Nugent family from an East Clare location, re-settled in central New York State. There are five townlands named Caher: three in the civil parish of Feakle, one in Ogonelloe civil parish, and one in Inchicronan parish. Perhaps this can be of some use. The mother Mary's maiden name was more usually spelled Hines or Hynes.

Sharon Carberry, not related

The Growth of a Century
by JOHN A. HADDOCK, 1895
Town of Orleans section
EDMUND NUGENT is a son of M. and Mary Nugent who came from County Clare, Ireland to the United States in 1851. Edmund was born in Cahar, County Clare, in 1836 and came to the United States in 1855. He enlisted in Company H, 1st N. Y. Light Artillery, October 7, 1861, and was promoted to sergeant. He participated in 17 battles, and was badly hurt near Alexandria, Va., by his horse falling upon him. He was honorably discharged October 16, 1864. He is a charger member of Geo. W. Flower Post, No. 306, G.A.R. of Theresa. In 1867 he married Miss Eleanor Graham, of Orleans Four Corners. In 1877 he purchased the Graham homestead.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyjeffer/hadorle.htm

CHILD'S GAZETTEER OF JEFFERSON COUNTY
TOWN OF ORLEANS
Martin Nugent and his wife, Mary (Hinds) Nugent, immigrated to the United States in 1851. They had three sons and three daughters, viz.: Nora, Edmund, Kate, Andrew, Maria, and John. Edmund was born in Cahar, County Clare, Ireland, in 1836. He also immigrated to the United Sates, in 1855. October 7, 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 1st Lt. Art. N. Y. Vols., and was promoted from the ranks to sergeant. He participated in the following battles: Williamsburg, Bottom Bridge, Savage Station, Fair Oaks, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Mine Run, Laurel Hill, South Anna River, Spottsylvania Court House, Jericho Ford, Bethsada Church, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Poplar Grove Church, and Peeble's Farm. At the latter battle four of his cannoners were shot and his gunner severally [sic, severely] wounded, which threw the greater portion of the work upon Mr. Nugent. He suffered severely from exhaustion in this battle, and near Alexandria, Va., was severely hurt about the back and shoulders by his horse falling upon him. He was discharged near Petersburg, Va., October 16, 1864. In the fall of 1883 he became a charter member of the Grand Army of the Republic, George W. Flower Post, No. 306, of Theresa, and is now a member in good standing. In 1867 he married Eleanor, daughter of the late John S. Graham, of Orleans Four Corners. In 1877 Mr. Nugent bought the Graham homestead, and in 1884 built a fine residence thereon.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyjeffer/childorl.htm

pjaminog

Post by pjaminog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:52 pm

The attached was written by one Martin Nugent a native of Gortaderra townland which is next to Corrakyle townland.
Martin was retired when he compiled this. At that time (1978) documents relating to family history were not as readily available as today, eg. to inspect the 1901 census it was necessary to travel to Dublin to the offices of The National archives.
If your great-great-grandfather was born around 1830 it is likely that he emigrated during or after the famine. According to Martin’s research, pre-famine Corrakyle had 73
houses and 383 people and post-famine only 28 houses and 153 people. It is likely that many people died, with perhaps the more fortunate emigrating.
The attached was give to me by my mother about 25 years ago, it was compiled by Martin Nugent in 1978.
( her mother and grandparents- Riordan house no. 20 1901 census - Gortaderra)
My mother and Martin went to primary school together in Cloonusker, early 1920s. The attached pages may be of interest to you as it gives a first hand account of the traditions, superstitions, folklore etc prevalent at the time your GG grandfather was growing up.
Also there is many references to Nugents, past and present in 1978.

Note – due to 1Mb limit the document is attached as three separate posts.
Attachments
Gurtaderra Pages 1 to 12.pdf
(1001.48 KiB) Downloaded 746 times

pjaminog

Post by pjaminog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Gurtaderra by Martin Nugent Pages 13 to 24.

Please ignore page numbers on document as some pages are missing
Attachments
Gurtaderra Pages 13 to 24.pdf
(868.44 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
Last edited by pjaminog on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pjaminog

Post by pjaminog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Gurtaderra by Martin Nugent Pages 25 to 35.

Please ignore page numbers on document as some pages are missing
Attachments
Gurtaderra Pages 25 to 35.pdf
(634.33 KiB) Downloaded 663 times

Darryl.Nugent

Post by Darryl.Nugent » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi
Many thanks for the documents. They create a superb picture what life was like in NE Clare both before and after the famine. Do you lnow of any Nugents still living in Gurtaderra? There seems to have been two Nugent families - one living in Gurtaderra and the other in Corrakyle. I think that some family members may have moved from Corrakyle to settle in nearby Gurtaderra. I have not yet found the link between the two. My g grandfather was born ca 1835 and he was married in Derbyshire, England in 1856 so Francis Nugent must have migrated in the meantime ( we believ due to the famine). I have no trace of him in the intervening years. By 1856, his father James Nugent was dead. I do not know if Francis migrated to England alone or with the family. His wife, Ellen Darcy and her sister (from Ennis) followed him at some point. They settled in Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire. I would like to find a link between the Corrakyle Nugents and Martin and Tom Nugent you mentioned. Do you have anay suggestions?

Darryl Nugent

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:26 pm

These are indeed superb texts. Many, many thanks to pjaminog for rescuing them from oblivion and taking the trouble to scan and upload them.

I worries me greatly that documents like this are disappearing into the Clare rubbish skips, probably daily ("What's this typewritten stuff ?" "Ah, the auld fella was hammering away on that typewriter till the day he died. His memories, he said. Anyway, he's dead now so get a move on.....into the skip with them. The painters are coming at 9 o'clock and they want the rooms empty when they come......letters ? Ah yeah, they were from his great-uncles who went to Australia. Blethering on about the great opportunities there.....photos ? mmm, yeah, look at this one. Looks like a bunch of policemen or military pulling a house down....1887...hmmm...anyway, into the skip with them, I'm paying the painters by the hour...can't keep them waiting....").

Paddy

pjaminog

Post by pjaminog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:55 pm

The attached 3 pages were missing from previous post. Pages 43 and 44 are scanned from original , page 27 transcribed as original was damaged.
Attachments
Gurtaderra by Martin Nugent Pages 27, 43 and 44.pdf
(281.49 KiB) Downloaded 719 times

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi Darryl,

I came across your post in searching for Annie Nugent (Sister Mary Winifred) of the Gurtaderra Nugents:

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=6620

The Irish American Weekly of February 12, 1881 has a reference to a Martin Nugent near Crusheen that might be a relation of yours - have included the entire article of happenings in Clare for some historical context (source: genealogybank newspaper archive):

Clare

On Jan. 18th, the Creek of Kilrush was frozen over where there is an ebb-tide and flow of the tide, a circumstance not known for over fifty years.

Captain O'Shea has for several months past been pressing on the attention of the Chief Secretary the question of the Treasury grant torwards the extension of the Cappa Pier at Kilrush. He had another interview with Mr. Forster, on Jan 16th, during which he urged the necessity of speedy resolution on the matter, pointing out, amongst other considerations, the urgency of such a work in the present destitute condition of so many of the laboring class in an near Kilrush, aggravated by the intense cold of the season.

The Gazzette contains a proclamation offering a reward of 100 pounds for such information as shall lead to the conviction of the three men, who, on Jan. 5th, armed with guns, entered the house of, and threatened, a man named Martin Nugent, near Crusheen.

The "Boycotting" of Colonel O'Callaghan still continues, and Fortase (sp?) House, that property of the Colonel, is now turned into a temporary barrack with seven of the R.I.C. for a garrison.

I think the referenced Martin Nugent, is the 50 year old Martin living in Bearnafunshin with his family in the 1901 census as this is very close to Crusheen:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... a/1068710/

Darryl, this Martin would be too young to be one of the sons of James Nugent who were born in the 1820's or 1830's -as mentioned in your first post. But perhaps a grandson or other relation?

The only Nugent family living in Coorakyle in the 1901 census was the Michael Nugent family - one of their 9 children was a 10 year old son name Martin.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1085068/