Martin John & James Patrick Kelleher

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

RBaker

Martin John & James Patrick Kelleher

Post by RBaker » Wed May 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Martin & John both my Great Uncles through my Maternal Grandmother Ellen (Nellie) T Kelleher Mcnamara. Emmigrated to USA in 1908 &1909 to Massachusetts. Prior to WW1 both enlisted in the United States Marines. Martin recieved a commission after the War and eventually retired as a Colonel. He died in 1960 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.
James Patrick became a 1st Sergeant and was retired on a disability due to mustard gas damage to his lungs.
James (Jimmy) is buried in Ennistymon.
If anyone has any information on the Family in Ireland I would appreciate being contacted.

Bob Baker

Paddy Casey

Re: Martin John & James Patrick Kelleher

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu May 15, 2008 2:11 pm

Bob,

Assuming that the family came from around Ennistymon (because Jimmy is buried there), go to the Clare County Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie and fire up their search engines and type in Kelleher and Ennistymon and take it from there. There are 5 pages of relevant data. For example, you have a Martin Kelleher in Ennistimon (variant spelling of the placename) in the 1901 census and his brother James Kelleher is also listed. And so it goes on.

Paddy

RBaker

Post by RBaker » Wed May 21, 2008 1:44 am

Thanks Paddy,
It gave me a lot more information. Now I hope to locate some living Kellehers.
Bob

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu May 22, 2008 6:16 am

Bob,

Good to hear that you are being successful. Thanks for the feedback.

Another tip (I keep mentioning this in this forum and elsewhere but I'll say it again): fire up the Irish telephone book at http://www.eircom.ie and look for Kellehers in Ennistymon and phone them and see whether they know anything about Kellehers who emigrated. You may have a very nice suprise. People who emigrated long, long ago often wrote home and - I'm always amazed by this - their letters are kept on the mantlepiece at Home by succeeding generations, thus telling you where the families now are.

Paddy