Julia Feighery

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Christine

Julia Feighery

Post by Christine » Wed May 07, 2008 2:45 am

I am researching Julia Feighery who was born in County Clare c1843, daughter of James and Catherine (nee Carty). She emigrated, alone, to Victoria Australia c 1862.
I would be grateful for any information or suggestions as to research on her and her family prior to her emigration.

Paddy Casey

Re: Julia Feighery

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed May 07, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Christine,

Just to get a baseline on your research to date so as to be able to best help you: have you been through the Feighery data on the Clare County Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie ?

I see that

there were several Feighery's listed in the 1901 census in Ruan in Co.Clare. The fact that your Julia emigrated in ca. 1862 is not important here: the existence of Feighery's in Ruan in1901 (a) suggests that Julia might have come from Ruan. This gives you another rung up the ladder because there may still be Feigherys in Ruan today. Those Feighery's may know something about your Julia because sometimes families kept old letters written from afar by members of the diaspora (I speak from personal experience).

In the Index to Biographical Notices at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... pionf1.htm you will see a note of the death of Miss Kitty Feighery of Killeen in Corofin in 1977 (presumably the same Killeen as that listed in the 1901 census of Feigherys)

and - wow!, you are on a roll here - the Irish telephone book lists several Feigherys in Killeen and Corofin (see http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/search/Cl ... ghery.html ).

The Tithe Applotments of Ruan of 8th April 1843* list a Mich'l Feighry in Killeen.

So all in all it looks as if your Feigherys probably originated from the parish of Ruan and, more specifically, the townland of Killeen.

Please let us know whether this adds anything to your knowledge or is stuff you have already found out.

Paddy

* This date may be incorrect because the Tithe Act was repealed in 1838. Most of the Tithe applotments were carried out in the 1820s. The date given here may be the date the book was archived in the office in Dublin.

Christine

Post by Christine » Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 pm

Thank you for your reply Paddy. I had found some of the references to Feighery on the Clare Library site but did not know whether this name was only found in Killeen. Julia's surname appears on some certificates in Australia as Fearherry or Fickery, so I have assumed that the correct name was Feighery. Do you think that my assumption is correct?
Julia was my great-grandmother and I would like to find out more about her. Thankyou for the suggestion to contact living 'Feighery's in Killeen. Would a letter be appropriate?
Would it be possible to look for Julia's birth certificate? I have tried looking on the IGI, but no luck. Is there an index of births in Clare that I could search? or even a marriage of her parents? Is Killeen small enough to have just one Catholic church where they would have been married and baptised? Are there parish church records that are indexed?
Are there any records of emigration to Australia from Ireland?
I am fairly good at research in Australia, but have not done any overseas research.
Any suggestions welcome.
Christine

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed May 07, 2008 2:48 pm

Christine,

Your assumption about the name would probably be correct. Note that the listing of the Ruan/Killeen Griffith Valuation on the Clare Library site lists two Feeherys in that townland.

Would a letter be appropriate?: I would prefer the phone (see my posting entitled "Useful family history aid: the Irish phone book" on this forum). A letter might or might not be answered.

Birth certificate: there were no birth certificates issued at that time. The registration of births was started in 1864. Births and marriages tended to be recorded in the parish registers. I'm not familiar with the Ruan parish registers but you might like to see what there is on the LDS site and, if films are available for the time slot in question, order them for viewing at an LDS family history centre in your vicinity. Alternatively, you can - for a price - have the Clare Heritage Centre in Corofin do a search in their indexes for you. My advice: try the LDS route first.

How big is Killeen ? See the 1842 map of the townland on the Clare Library site. That will show you its size and its proximity to other places. By the way, remember to look for Killeen in the parish of Ruan (there are several Killeens in Clare; see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... n_ruan.htm ). Also, take a look at the parish and townland maps on the Library site to get an idea of its position and geography.

Emigration records: there are masses of ships' records covering the Ireland->Australia exodus but I am not an expert on them. Many of them are on-line. I wonder whether someone else on this forum could pop up here and help on this (or other) topic.

Paddy