Sale of lands in Ennis and Clare (1747)

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Sale of lands in Ennis and Clare (1747)

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon May 05, 2008 5:53 pm

Please excuse my not transcribing this meaty document from George Faulkner the Dublin Journal (Dublin, Ireland), Tuesday, November 18, 1746 but it is so meaty that I had to post it so that those with an attention span of more than 5msecs might benefit from it (I know, I know, digitising it makes it searchable but I've been told to go and mow the lawn so I don't have time).

It appears that as a result of a court decision these people are having to sell significant bits of Ennis and other places around Clare.

The document is filled with names and places and is worth browsing.

Paddy.
Attachments
Sale of lands in Ennis and Clare 1747.jpg
Sale of lands in Ennis and Clare 1747.jpg (220.72 KiB) Viewed 4800 times

Sduddy

Re: Sale of lands in Ennis and Clare (1747)

Post by Sduddy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:55 am

Hi Paddy

I came upon this posting (2008) and decided to transcribe while you were mowing.

The Rev. Robert Curtis, Clark Heir and Executor of William Curtis, Esq; John Damer, Esq; surviving Executor of Joseph Damer, Esq; deceased and Robert Dalway, Esq; Administrator of Joseph Mariott, Esq; deceased, Plaintiffs.
Francis Gore, Esq; and others, Defendants.
Whereas by a Decree of his Majesty’s Court of Exchequer in Ireland made in a Cause wherein the said William Curtis, John and Joseph Damer, and Joseph Mariot, Esqrs were Plaintiffs, and the Defendant Francis Gore, then a Minor by Robert French, Esq; his Guardian, and others were Defendants, which has since been revived in the Names of the present Plantiffs, the Chief Remembrancer of said Court or his Deputy are required to sell by publick Cant to the best and fairest Bidders, for raising the Money in the said Decree mentioned, all that and there the Towns, Lands, Tenements, and Hereditaments and Premisses following, that is to say, the Lands of Ballyarestan East and West, Betry, Lyslorkan, Ballysheen, Part Killconnell, one quarter of Ballynelacan, one quarter of Cloghandine, Kinelly, Ballyellane, Ballycregh, and five Acres Common of Licknernanagh, Farraghbegg, Grange, Carradane, Ballycullane, Ballynarry, and Aghdaragh, all situate in the Barony of Corcomrog and County of Clare, the Mansion and Manse House, Castle, Town and Lands of Clonrend otherwise Clonrone, with the Toll, Duties and Customs of the Fairs and Markets of Clonrond aforesaid, and all the Prequisites, Profits and Advantages to the same belonging; a Tenement late in the occupation of Donagh Quelly, a Tenement late in the occupation of Jordan Bourke, a Tenement late in the occupation of Teige O’Beolane, late (illegible) of Denis Hirnane, a Tenement late in the occupation of L(?) McInerny, a Tenement late in the occupation of Daniel Hernane, a Tenement late in the occupation of Catherine Walsh, a Tenement late in the occupation of Jourdan Bourke near the New Goal, a Tenement late in the occupation of Teige O’Cleary, a Tenement late in the occupation of George Hart or John Lyne, a Tenement late in the occupation of Teige Erynka, a Tenement late in the occupation of George Roch, a Tenement late in the occupation of Daniel O’Grypha, a Tenement late in the occupation of Edmond Hernane, a Tenement late in the occupation of Donagh Daly, a Tenement late in the occupation of Donagh O Meera, a Tenement late in the occupation of Simon Foster, a Tenement late in the occupation of Teige O’Daly, a Tenement late in the occupation of Edmond O’Beolane, and a Tenement late in the occupation of Mervyn Nervan, all which said several Tenements are in the town of Ennis; a Cartron of Land of Drimabiggil, containing by estimation 41 acres, one Cartron of the same containing by estimation 79 acres, 81 acres and half of Drumbiggott and Clonoonbegg, a Parcel of Land near the Meadow containing 4 acres in all 205 acres and a half more or less; The Earl of Thomond’s House and Gardens at Ennis with the Stable and back House thereunto belonging, together with the waste plots that were in that Town in the year 1634, late in the possession of John Gore, Esq; deceased; a Parcel of Land commonly known by the name of Liffords, containing by estimation 279 acres 1 rood more or less; The Mills, Lands and Tenements commonly called the Mills of Ennis, with the Fishing Wyers and Appurtenances thereunto belonging, which said Lands of Clonrond and Premisses following are in the Barony of Islands and County of Clare aforesaid. Now I do hereby give Notice, that I will in pursuance of the said Decree, proceed to sell the said Lands (or so much thereof as will be sufficient to satisfy the Plantiffs demands) by publick Cant on Thursday the 7th Day of July next at 6 o’Clock in the afternoon, at the Exchequer Office in Kennedy’s lane, Dublin. Dated the fourth of June, 1747, PALMERSTON.

Sheila