Reverse migration from America to Limerick, 1600s

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Reverse migration from America to Limerick, 1600s

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 am

I am reporting the existence of an article in the Journal of the American Irish Historical Society, based on research by an historian named Prendergast. This society was one which celebrated the Irish origins of its members and of prominent men in America, although articles in its journal usually lack good details for genealogical purposes. I don't know anything about the involved historian and I haven't heard of English-born Protestants from New England being settled in the West of Ireland, so I would be interested in knowing if this reverse migration occurred and the surnames involved. The year mentioned is 1656, which was within five years of the Cromwellian campaign in Ireland. There is a reference to tobacco in the article, and tobacco was a valuable colonial product, usually associated with Virginia although it is a little-known fact that Connecticut to this day has an industry devoted to tobacco horticulture, with drying barns a common sight on the drive out to the Windsor airport.

The article is very short, starting on p. 32, online at this link:
http://www.archive.org/stream/journalam ... rch/dublin

Sharon Carberry
Cromwellian reverse migration.jpg
Cromwellian reverse migration.jpg (77.44 KiB) Viewed 3523 times