Text of a Roche will, online in legal journal

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Text of a Roche will, online in legal journal

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:13 pm

There is nothing better than a published decision in a court case to provide not only a will possibly destroyed by a courthouse fire in subsequent years, but also to explain in detail the background behind will's provisions and why the bequests were made. I had one of these pop up for my own Carberry family in Philadelphia, a truly unexpected result in a Google search which happened to include the terms Carberry +Ticknor + some location like Roxborough or Manayunk or Philadelphia. The story of a schism among the siblings of my greatgrandmother Catherine Ticknor Carberry explained a lot about why there was no interaction between the Ticknors and my Carberrys and subsequently no mention made in oral stories handed down.

Regarding the will made by James Roche of Ennis, there is also a lot of history provided in the legal decision. His land was purchased from Rev. Darat [sic] McMahon in 1785 and was located in Clonderalaw, with townlands Gurthacurra and Ballylean involved. The case title reveals two of the devisees: Bonynge and Finucane. This suit was in about 1864 and the decision is in this publication in 1865:
The Irish Jurist, vol 17 pp 141-45
http://tinyurl.com/233mplj

Others mentioned are:
Carrick
Hickey
McNamara
Mahon
O'Brien
Stackpoole
Tuohy

Charles Mahon in this will was likely related through his Stackpoole connection. For more on his family history, see the screenshot, for which I had to use version with very small text size and still omitted the very last portion, which listed a third child, Rebecca, who did not marry. The citation is:
A genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry of Ireland, by Sir Bernard Burke [aka Burke's Landed Gentry]
p292
Mahon of Corbally
http://tinyurl.com/23n6w7m

I came across the Roche will while running a search on Charles Mahon in Google Books. There were a number of good results, bringing up old texts with activities involving other men of substance in Clare in the mid-1800s.

Sharon Carberry
Mahon of Corbally, Burke's Landed Gentry.jpg
Mahon of Corbally, Burke's Landed Gentry.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 3900 times