Another set of Missing Friends ads, in NYC newspaper

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Another set of Missing Friends ads, in NYC newspaper

Post by smcarberry » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:20 pm

These ads were placed in the Irish World and American Industrial Liberator and appeared in a column called “Missing Friends” (not the same column which was the source for similar ads now online via Boston University and also available on CD and in book form). All the ads end with a line about how the seeker will gladly receive news, shortened here to show just the seeker's identity. Some of these ads ran in several editions of the paper, but I show one date only. The word “information” is shortened to “info” for easier typing. Upper case letters have been added for surnames of Clare people and their spouses. This group of ads likely is not all that appeared involving Clare people but these are all the ones which
resulted from using Clare as a search term.

posted by Sharon Carberry (USA)

Of Mary and Ellen COUGHLIN, natives of County Clare, Ireland. Ellen was married in Clare to John RYAN. Father's name Michael Coughlin; mother's name Ann. Their brother Thomas died in Limerick, Ireland, in 1860, and another, who was in the English army, died in India. When last seen by their brother, John, who now inquires for them, they were in Bytown [Ottawa, Ontario, Canada], 1863. From there they went to Quebec. Any information...received by John Coughlin, Eureka Springs, Arkansas. 11 Aug 1894

Of John BURNS, native of County Clare, Ireland, who left there for Wigan, Lancashire, England, which place he left about twenty eight years ago. When last heard from about the same time, he was in New York. He had a companion Patrick CONWAY. There were three sisters behind him, Anora, Mary, and Ellen, two of whom were married. Any info...received by his sister Anora, now Mrs. John MCCARTHY, 774 South avenue, Youngstown, Ohio. 17 Nov 1894

Of Michael MCNAMARA of Carrubane, Killaloe, County Clare, Ireland; his father's name James McNamara; mother's name Mary CURTIS. When last heard from, he was in Michigan. Info of him or his sons...received by his brother Henry McNamara, care of Mrs. O'Connor, 10 Dover street, New York city. 6 June 1896

Of John McNAMARA [later ad: John Sheedy McNamara], native of Six-Mile-Bridge, County Clare, Ireland, who came to the United States in 1848 or 1849, with his brother James. When last heard from, he lived with his sister, Mrs. Thomas HEIHER, corner of Smith and Bergen streets, Brooklyn. Any info of him or his brother-in-law Thomas Heiher or O'Hara, and Patrick GLEASON or children...received by Miss Kate Mack, 720 South Main street, Elmira, N.Y. Jersey papers please copy. 6 June 1896

A liberal reward will be given for info of Pat MOLONEY, native of Scariff, County of Clare, Ireland, who left Buffalo, New York, about 38 years ago, as knowledge of him living or dead is necessary for settlement of an estate. Address Michael E. Connor, 3 East Fourteenth street, New York. 22 Jan 1898

Patrick COLPOYS, bootmaker, born in Ennis, County of Clare, Ireland. Last heard from in 1846, then being in 24 Nassau street, New York city. Any info of him...received by Patrick Hart, Depot and Etna streets, Salem, Ohio. 1 Jan 1898

Info wanted of John KIERCE, a native of the parish of Glannamanagh, county Clare, Ireland. When last heard from, about [single digit, maybe 6] years ago, he was in Leadville, Lake County, Colorado. Any info...received by his niece, Mary BRODY, 140 Eagle street, Green Point [now Brooklyn], N.Y. 22 Mar 1890

Info wanted of Martin HOWARD, who left Lisdoonvarna last February, arriving New York same month, and of whom no tidings have reached home since. Any info...received by his mother, Mrs. Kate Howard, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare.
9 Jul 1892

Info wanted of Denis, Patrick, Daniel, Jeremiah, or Nora VAUGHAN, who left Cloneske, Scariff, County Clare, about forty years ago. When last heard from, were in California. Any intelligence of them...received by Thomas Vaughan, 640 East Main street, Ottumwa, Iowa. 22 Apr 1893

Info wanted of Patrick HEHIR, or Hare, dead or alive, emigrated from near Ennis, Tulla, or Creva, County Clare, Ireland, about forty years ago; went first to Newton-Stewart, Scotland, then to England, and soon after to America. Was a lead miner in Scotland and England; is about 65 years old if living. His brother Daniel was a soldier in the British Army. Any info...received by his nephew, Patrick MCNAMARA, Devil's Lake, North Dakota.
later ad, worded similarly, with some additional details:
...went first to Newton-Stewart, Wigtonshire, Scotland...Any info..received by his nephew Patrick McNamara, son of John McNamara and his wife, sister of Patrick Hehir or Hare, Devil's Lake, Ramsey Co., North Dakota. 25 Nov 1893

Of two sisters of Mary CANNAAN (maiden name O'KEEFE), a native of Milltown Malbay, County Clare, Ireland. Have heard that one of the sisters was married to a man named REILLY. If they or their heirs write to P.M. Gilles, proprietor of the Newcastle Democrat, New Castle, Indiana, they will hear something of interest. 11 Nov 1893

Of Lawrence HOLIHAN, native of Kilrush, County Clare, Ireland, whose father's name was Lawrence Holihan; mother's name Lucy REDY. When last heard from, was in Topeka, Kansas. Any info...received by his sister Maria BOLAND...Green Isle, Sibley County, Minnesota. 9 June 1894

Of John, Mary, and Margaret MULCONRY, natives of Six-Mile-Bridge, County Clare, Ireland, will hear of something to their advantage by writing to M. Mangan, 433 Spencer street, West Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 16 Jul 1898

Info wanted of John and Catherine MANGAN, children of John Mangan and Margaret MCMAHON, natives of Miltown-Malbay, County Clare, Ireland. Catherine left Ireland 40 or 50 years ago and John left 30 or 35 years ago. When last heard from 25 years ago, were in some place near Geelong, Australia. Info...received by their nephew, John Mangan, of Miltown-Malbay... Address John Mangan, 469 West 14th St., Chicago, Illinois. Australian papers please copy. 10 June 1899

Info wanted of S. PRICE, native of the parish of Donass, County Clare, Ireland. Mother's name Mary MOLONY. Age about 45 or 50 years, over five feet in height. He went from the United States to Australia about 20 years ago, and when last heard from was in Melbourne. His sister Catherine SMITH is anxious to obtain any info. Address Mr. Robert S. McIlduff, attorney at law, Pontiac Illinois
4 Nov 1899

Info wanted of Michael HALLORAN, of Cluna, near Tulla, County Clare, Ireland; his father's name Joseph Halloran, mother's name Hannah HURLEY. When last heard from he was a foreman in a lead mine near Sydney, Australia. Address Thomas Hawkins, Sedwig, Harvey County, Kansas. Australian papers please copy. 16 Sep 1899

Info wanted of Thomas, Patrick, and Timothy HAWKINS of Cluna, near Tulla, County Clare, Ireland; their father's name John Hawkins; mother's name Mary MCMAHON. Thomas and Patrick were heard from about 45 or 50 years ago; Timothy was heard from 40 years ago and was then in Sydney, Australia. Info...received by Thomas Hawkins, Sedwig, Harvey County, Kansas. 4 Nov 1899

smcarberry

Re: Another set of Missing Friends ads, in NYC newspaper

Post by smcarberry » Sun May 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Below are two more "missing friend" type ads placed in U.S.-published newspapers. The Rhode Island one is likely not found
prior to this, although the Irish World has been used by others researching such ads (although that newspaper is so packed
with small news items that it is easy to overlook any particular one).

Per my usual abbreviations, CCI refers to County Clare, Ireland.

Sharon Carberry USA

18 Dec 1832 Rhode Island Republican p3
Info Wanted – Michael VAUGHAN, originally from CCI, supposed to be in some of the Western States, will put amend to the doubts and fears of his brother William Vaughan by addressing him at Providence, Rhode Island.

22 Aug 1896 Irish World p 2
Of Michael DOWD, native of Bellharbor, CCI, came to America, March 25, 1861, served in the late War, subsequently went West and worked in the mines. Address his sister, Ellen Down, Bellharbor, CCI.

jomill

Post by jomill » Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 am

Thanks for the post on Mangans:

"Info wanted of John and Catherine MANGAN, children of John Mangan and Margaret MCMAHON, natives of Miltown-Malbay, County Clare, Ireland. Catherine left Ireland 40 or 50 years ago and John left 30 or 35 years ago. When last heard from 25 years ago, were in some place near Geelong, Australia. Info...received by their nephew, John Mangan, of Miltown-Malbay... Address John Mangan, 469 West 14th St., Chicago, Illinois. Australian papers please copy. 10 June 1899"

I have a Timothy Mangan b 1811 Miltown-Milbay County Clare Ireland married to Margaret Marrinan b 1810 Corrifin County Clare Ireland. They came to Geelong Australia on the Parsee arriving on 4/11/1854 with their children. Timothy had a brother who sponsored him: Tom Mangan married to Ellen. Since reading this post I have found this John Mangan child of John Mangan and Margaret MacMahon. He died in Werribee Victoria (close to Geelong) in 1914. He did not marry. I am still looking for Catherine... I would love to make contact with anyone who has a connection to them. I think there has to be a connection to my family.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue May 26, 2009 12:06 pm

It's a breath of fresh air, amidst the furious typing it takes to make the postings, to receive news that an old news article has
made its way into the hands of a descendant. Thanks very much for letting me know. Since I have more research to do on
my Carberry relatives and in-laws in the Chicago area, I will keep an eye out for Catherine Mangan in case she made her way
there.

Please keep us advised of your progress. I maintain a YahooGroup called Clare_McMahons so anything more on the McMahon
end would be great to receive and circulate there.

Sharon Carberry

jomill

Post by jomill » Tue May 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Will do...