Hardy (David) watchmaker of Ennis c.1846-1815

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kiwi

Hardy (David) watchmaker of Ennis c.1846-1815

Post by kiwi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:41 am

Good afternoon from New Zealand where it's about 25degreesC and a beautiful day.
I'm hoping someone will be able to aim me in the right direction to find out more about my 2xgreat Grandfather and his family. So far I have found out the following details -
My paternal great great Grandfather, DAVID HARDY, was a watch & clock maker, of Church St, Ennis (Slater’s 1846 Directory of Co. Clare). I presume this was his business address.
His business then moved to High Street, Ennis (1856 Directory of Ennis).
He appears to have a (rented?) house at Clonroad Beg, Drumcliff. (Griffiths Valuation 1855)
According to the IGI, DAVID HARDY married MARY HICKIE (or Hickey, 25 years at marriage) on 13 October 1846 at either Clareabbey or Ennis. There are 3 records of the marriage, 2 of which state Ennis and the other Clareabbey.
David Hardy’s father is listed as NICK HARDY (ex marriage record)
Mary Hickie’s father is listed as MICHAEL HICKIE (ex marriage record)
This is where I lose any further information on David Hardy.

MARY HARDY next appears in the 1871 London Census as a WIDOW, with five children –
John (b 1849 Co. Clare)
Mary b. 1851 Co. Clare (this is quite a large gap between children. Possible child deaths)
William b. 1858 Co. Clare
Patrick b. 1857 Co. Clare
Thomas b. 1859 Co. Clare.

I would like to find out what happened to David Hardy – did he die in Ireland; is there any record of the children’s births; any further reference to Nick Hardy and Michael Hickie – in fact, anything relating to these people in church or other records.

My husband and I will be in Ireland for about two weeks during September 2011 and any help you can give me at this stage could be the basis of further research at that time. I appreciate that you have many calls on your time, but any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Kiwi.

pwaldron

Re: Hardy (David) watchmaker of Ennis c.1846-1815

Post by pwaldron » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 am

This could be your David's death:

Name: David Hardy
Registration District: Ennis
Event Type: DEATHS
Registration Quarter and Year: 1864
Estimated Birth Year: 1809
Age (at Death): 55
Mother's Maiden Name:
Film Number: 101582
Volume Number: 4
Page Number: 166
Digital Folder Number: 4200214
Image Number: 00112
Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958

It's probably worth your while ordering a photocopy of the record (see groireland.ie) as it will give the deceased's occupation and address.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks for your help..... I'll get onto that right away.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi everyone, just to update the above question ...
I am delighted to have just received the Death Cert. for David Hardy, as follows:
Date & Place of death - 23 February 1864, WORKHOUSE, Ennis
Name: David Hardy, male, married, 55 years, Watchmaker
Cause of Death: Typhus Fever, 10 days, certified
etc.

As they say, for every answer there is another question.........
I'm sure this is the 'right' David Hardy as there can't have been too many watchmakers by this name in Ennis & the age appears about right. BUT would he have been in the workhouse because:
(a) he was desperately poor? or
(b) he was put there to die because he had contracted typhus? or
(c) both of the above?

After his death his wife, Mary, had enough money to get herself and 5 children to London.
I'm currently reseaching workhouses, and any comments gratefully received.

Completely off subject, I hope you are not suffering too much with the weather as we're getting some terrible stories about the cold & snow in Europe. Picture postcard Christmas scenes are all very well on a card, but living with them can be quite another matter. We have the opposite problem in NZ with some areas designated as drought last week. Then it started to rain.... steady & drenching, dragged from the tropics with high humidity and cloud to ground level. The good thing is that it is helping the drought areas, but I'm hoping it stops before Christmas Day.

Kind regards and Christmas Wishes to you all, Kiwi.