A comprehensive listing of Clare emigrants - new project?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Tom

Re: A comprehensive listing of Clare emigrants

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Paddy,
I've gone through the original list I submitted to Clare Library. I started working from current areas of interest to me, not from a Civil Parish list, which is why I've got a bit muddled. I've added all the ones I've already done. Apologies to Pam as I've covered Clonrush, Whitegate and Mountshannon which are in the Civil Parish of Inishcaltra. I've not covered all of Inishcaltra however. Let me know if you want to take on the remainder. (you'd find out what's left by accessing the name Inishcaltra from Paddy's helpful list).
Paddy, As I've got quite a bit to work on with completing Civil Parish listings, I won't choose any additional ones for some time!
Tom McDowell

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 pm

No problem on the parishes, I can pick another one, perhaps on the other side of Feakle. Has anyone taken Inchicronan?
Pam

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Re. this Clare Emigrants project I have just spoken with Tom and the Library and work is in hand on a project description, instructions for participation, data entry templates, and list(s) of "taken" and "not yet taken" parishes which will allow volunteers to opt for one of the parishes not yet being trawled. These docs will be published shortly on the Library website. I can't give a date but we're hard at work on it to make sure that when the project starts motoring it will be fully - and not half - baked with all the 'i's dotted and the 't's crossed (please excuse the mixture of metaphors).

Watch this space and stay sitting on the edges of your seats. It's a great project anyway but if it can be tied into an interactive map of emigrations it will be a killer.

Paddy

P.S. Pam, I've put you down for Inchicronan. P.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Paddy, what a great winter project you have found. This is so up your alley. You have just the right combination of interests and background for shepherding this to fruition. I can only hope that others will match the energy and determination of Tom McDowell as well, in shaking information out of databases and doing the data entry. The involved time period is actually too far past what could be useful for my own research, but I work with other Clare descendants so I am sure that easy retrieval afforded by the database/map format will result in useful insights and more success in family history research for many in the Diaspora. Adding a graphical/visual presentation to the data is a new twist and may help surmount the difficulties involved with meandering jurisdictional boundaries, changing spellings, etc.

If I could look into the future, I would see a similar effort done to link estate rentals/employment data (once transcribers get to it) to a visual presentation of where the estates were located in the county, and then even further to eviction transcriptions for residences on those estates. The overall effect would be seeing how the density of the population thinned and thinned until it approximates the low density that the county now has, which would be breathtaking to say the least.

As the China man said, a journey starts with a single step.

Sharon Carberry

moc66

Post by moc66 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 am

Paddy Casey wrote:Re. this Clare Emigrants project I have just spoken with Tom and the Library and work is in hand on a project description, instructions for participation, data entry templates, and list(s) of "taken" and "not yet taken" parishes which will allow volunteers to opt for one of the parishes not yet being trawled. These docs will be published shortly on the Library website. I can't give a date but we're hard at work on it to make sure that when the project starts motoring it will be fully - and not half - baked with all the 'i's dotted and the 't's crossed (please excuse the mixture of metaphors).

Watch this space and stay sitting on the edges of your seats. It's a great project anyway but if it can be tied into an interactive map of emigrations it will be a killer.

Paddy

P.S. Pam, I've put you down for Inchicronan. P.
Hi Paddy
I haven't posted in long time to Clare Past but have followed all the work that is ongoing on this site, very busy with other projects. This is a great project, I have often been searching Ellis Island records for family relatives who emigrated to the US helping my cousin in NJ USA to do the family tree and I am hoping to do the Moyarta Parish in 2011 as a spare time hobby but I may end up doing the Kilballyowen as well they were all one parish for almost a 100 years in the 19th century. I will concentrate on the Ellis Island records to build the database for starters. May I make a suggestion, as I searched a relative on the EI records I would come across a whole group on the same boat from surrounding parish's, now I would have that info for others would there be a dedicated site or base where this could be stored and like looking for the pieces of a jigsaw and moving it on to the proper slot and save someone else the bother of going over old ground as the work goes on. Also someone could be down from Kilrush on the manifest and that address be down as the home address until you cross reference and find out that he/she came from Querrin Doonaha or Carrigaholt. Placenames as well could be sorted out eg Fiero if it was Co Clare would refer to Fierd near Kilbaha.
Congrats and good luck and this is well deserved http://www.librarycouncil.ie/irishlibra ... 10-308/a1/
Slán Michael
Put me down for Moyarta!!!

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:10 am

moc66 wrote:
Paddy Casey wrote:Put me down for Moyarta!!!
Have reserved Moyarta for you, Michael. Please send me a Private Message with your full name, email address and locality for the register (or, if you are hyper-keen on privacy, a credible-sounding pseudonym with given name and surname). Thanks.
Paddy

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:18 pm

As part of the project planning, dotting 'i's and crossing 't's etc., we are currently investigating copyright issues with regard to transcriptions from emigration data websites. We hope to have some clearer guidelines for all shortly.

In the meantime, if anybody knows of datasets (other than those already flagged on this thread) which could be trawled for information on Clare emigrants please let us know.

Paddy

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:43 am

message moved
Last edited by AlStaunton on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Paddy,

As you can see, one of the Forum members has mistaken the nature of this string of postings. Your subject heading is too close to the standard roll-call heading - is it possible to edit the subject line ? Or can you start a new posting and abandon this string to its fate of being mistaken again for a roll-call ?

I am relieved to see that there will be an effort to steer clear of copy right implications, which is another reason why I hesitated to join the project and why doing Ellis Island arrivals is the first target for me. When companies are making their business income off a gen. database, it is perilous to take large hunks of the data, even for an altruistic purpose, when the result would be that fewer people pay for subscriptions to see the data in the company's database. Ellis Island arrivals are offered freely to the public and avoids that incursion.

I can name a number of other databases which are online and provide Irish county locations in readily-recognizable form, such as the Chicago Irish Families database of Ancestry.com and the (NYC) Emigrant Savings Bank accountholders' records, online via Ancestry.com and also available in a set of hard-copy publications (books) in major public libraries. All these are also distributed for profit and are subject to copy right protection. The data in the original records are in public domain but getting to that data is the issue and thus the online versions have their value in that ready accessibility which also makes them attractive for this project. Two sides of the coin.

I know of similar record collections that could be used for this project, as other cities had bank records for accountholders that have been preserved and catalogued in their current institutional settings. The catalogue descriptions clearly state that Irish placenames were provided by the immigrant accountholders of the 1800s and early 1900s. One such institution has already cooperated in the transcription of its collection into an freely-available online form, despite the financial detriment to the compilers of a commercial publication of the same data. That's Boston College and the Missing Friends ads. There are more equally useful collections in the care of its library, and I happen to know the chief librarian, who is a wonderful friend of family historians. Getting to that data requires a locally-based effort to capture images of record book pages, which then could be sent electronically to wherever the transcribers are.

It may be that you rather proceed with something less arduous to coordinate, such as Ellis Island arrivals. That in itself would be a fine project. As for me, I salivate when contemplating a project accessing new material, never exposed to public view and rich in the details that can be critical clues for those family historians unable to connect to a specific Clare parish. As you know, my day today is being spent in the National Archives in Washington. D.C., where I am viewing Civil War military pension files, coming online via Footnote.com but not fast enough for me. The target I have is to find Clare references for some fellow family historians, because those files can be very specific if the pension applicant needed to reference his birthplace (not always a requirement, so each file varies). On a prior visit I even found a marriage certificate from an English parish for an Irish-born soldier, when his widow needed to provide proof of the marriage - something that the modern-day descendants had no expectation of ever finding.

So, here again is my encouragement to work through the grind of shaping up the project, as the end product will be a valuable addition to our little corner of the globe, a group of like-minded people looking into and getting know their roots and learning along the way what it means to be family in a highly-industrial, high-tech world.

Sharon C.

ploughman

Re: A comprehensive listing of Clare emigrants - new project?

Post by ploughman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Any further thoughts about the copyright implications of this proposed project? I live in the US and know a little bit about US copyright issues as a lawyer (although intellectual property is not my practice area.) Very briefly, in the US facts cannot be copyrighted, although commentary about facts may be protected unless exempted by fair use of the material or another exception. Do other countries have copyright laws which may be placed in issue by this project? What material is subject to copyright in other jurisdictions? I realize I'm asking enormous questions, worthy of a law review article if not an entire book, but I'm wondering if the copyright issue may affect the viability of the project.

AlStaunton

Re: A comprehensive listing of Clare emigrants - new project

Post by AlStaunton » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 pm

This is what fascinates me about the emigrants is how did they choose where to go. Obviously the majority went to North America that being the closest but what would have enticed someone to get on ship and spend months at sea braving the roaring forties to come to South Australia. How did they sell the place? This was a free colony we had no convicts so they had to attract free settlers with skills that would be required to build a colony. How did they do it?

Clare Admin

Re: A comprehensive listing of Clare emigrants - new project

Post by Clare Admin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:52 pm

As we have not received a reply to the email and letter we sent to the Ellis Island Foundation in early December of 2010, we have decided to go ahead with the emigration list transcription. To that end we have started a new topic on the forum, called the Clare Past Forum Emigration List Project (1892-1954). This current topic will now be closed to further comments. Please go to the project topic for more information.
Clare Admin