A comprehensive listing of Clare emigrants - new project?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

ploughman

Re: A comprehensive listing of Clare emigrants

Post by ploughman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks for your instructive posting, Tom If you have substantially covered Feakle, then I'm willing to work on another parish. Any suggestions which one?
Pam

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 am

List of Clare parishes with "taken"/"not yet taken" for Clare Emigrants List attached here. It is based on the Civil Parishes list on the Clare Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... es_map.htm In the spreadsheet I've retained the hyperlinks so if you click on a parish name it fires up the corresponding page on the Clare Library website.

Tom: I'm not sure how to enter some of your placenames because "my" list is one of civil parishes rather than Roman Catholic parishes. How do you suggest this be dealt with ? Do we need to use an RC parish list rather than civil parishes ? If so, it would have to be a cumulative list of all the RC parishes that have existed (rather than a current list of the RC parishes) because over the years a number of RC parishes merged, leading to the disappearance of some of the parish names. Thus an emigration record might show an emigré as having come from parish X but that parish may no longer exist under that name. I wonder if such a list is available on-line somewhere. I found one at http://home.pacbell.net/nymets11/genuki ... ecords.htm but am not sure whether it is exhaustive.

Tom: maybe you could upload your spreadsheet template to this forum so that people who want to take over a parish can download it and use it. Just a suggestion: keep all Excel files to "Excel '97" format so that they are compatible with all subsequent versions of Excel. This is very easy. Excel and OpenOffice can both save spreadsheets in Excel '97 format - when you come to save the file there is a dropdown menu which offers this option.

I've called the second column "Parish File Coordinator" as suggested by Sharon and based on the idea that each person who picks a parish would be responsible for that parish file for the rest of their natural lives, i.e. would submit their list of emigrants to the Library for publication on their site and would keep the list updated as more information came in and send updates to the Library. Is that OK ?

Pam: once Tom has added his placenames to the list I guess you could just take your pick of a parish and let me know and I'll update the list. OK ?

Paddy
Attachments
Parish list for Clare Emigrants project.xls
(27 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
Last edited by Paddy Casey on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Clare Emigrants Blank database.xls
(109.5 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
Hi Paddy,
Thanks for putting in thinking time to establishing this project.
I'd suggest that the Civil Parish list seems fine, as when I tried it, it leads to the Library page with all its listings for that Civil parish.
I also think its preferable to the RC parish list as it's more inclusive of Clare emigrants of other religions.

I've made up a blank Excel database with all of the sources for Clare-born that I've found on Ancestry.com so far as suggested.
There's always the possibility of others cropping up but I expect these will be few and far between.

Let me know if there are any problems with the version I've attached. Just got a new laptop with Office 2010, so I'm still learning.

Tom McDowell

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi again Paddy,

Re Parish names

If you look on the Library Website for Church Records, it lists Church of Ireland parishes, Roman Catholic parishes and Civil parishes.

So for Sixmilebridge which isn't on the Civil Parish list.
Looking for Sixmilebridge I found it is part of Kilfinaghty C.of I. Parish and Kilfinaghta R.C. Parish and then lists the address of Sixmilebridge R.C. Church.
Perhaps listing the Civil, R.C. and C.of I. parishes on your coordinator tick list would work.
Tom McDowell

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:25 am

Paddy: That's fine, I will wait for the updated list and then let you know.

Pam

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Paddy,
I've attached your parish listing with my current areas for emigrant research.

Pam,
If you let me know who you're interested in regardingd the Feakle area, I've collected a lot of info on the area. Just let me know.

Tom McDowell

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 pm

To Everyone:
I apologize for this off-topic posting in response to a question in the thread. I'm new here so please indulge me this one time.

Tom:
I recently learned about two ancestors from Feakle: great great grandfather Henry Barrett (ab. 1826) and his father John Barrett, a labourer. Henry Barrett's military records state he was born in Feakle parish and his 1873 marriage certificate lists John as his father. The 1827 tithe applotment book notes John Barrett in Lower Maherabane (as well as Henry Barrett in the same townland--a relative?) The 1855 Griffith's Valuation does not show a John Barrett in Feakle, although two other Barretts are noted (Henry and Connor) and several John Barretts are listed in other locations in Clare. "My" Henry Barrett joined the East India Company in 1855 and spent the rest of his life in India and then Salford, England. I have located quite a bit of information about Henry's adult life and now would like to learn about his father and mother and place of birth. More generally, I am very interested in learning about the culture and history of East Clare. If you have any ideas or information on Barretts in Feakle, I would love to hear them. thank you.

Paddy: My father may be signing up for a parish too, we will make selections and let you know later today (kids and dogs need attention just now--but thankfully no snow like you and Tom recently have had to contend with.)
Pam

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm

I volunteer for these three civil parishes: Clonlea, Kilmurray, and Kilseily. These are contiguous and form the area of and around Kilkishen, the prime location for my Clare families in the 1840s. Kilmurray was often known as Kilmurray Nagaul or a similar spelling like Nigall. I have very good familiarity with the involved townland spellings, with several hard-copy maps on hand in addition to knowing where the online ones are. What I don't have currently is a subscription to Ancestry.com but that could change. There is plenty to do in terms of the Ellis Island arrivals first.

Sharon Carberry
USA

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:51 pm

Wooeee ! Great stuff, Sharon (thumping desk).

Latest list of parishes attached.

I need to get this whole project on one piece of cyber-paper that is posted somewhere and updated so that anyone who is interested can "sign in". List of parishes, who is doing which parish, which databases are worth trawling (based on Tom's collection), and so forth.

Stand by.

Paddy
Attachments
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Last edited by Paddy Casey on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clare Admin

Post by Clare Admin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Paddy,
Clare County Library will be very happy to provide 'administration backup' for this project. We'll create a new page for it, similar to what we did for the Tithe Applotment Books Project (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... _index.htm). I've been talking with Rainer Kosbi (our friendly maps guru) and we're looking at ultimately mapping emigration from Clare based on birth and death (or burial) records. Your project would be a huge asset for this in gathering essential data.
All the best for now.
Clare Admin

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:35 am

I would like to handle the parishes of Moynoe and Iniscealtra if they are not already spoken for. thanks,
Pam

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:12 am

ploughman wrote:I would like to handle the parishes of Moynoe and Iniscealtra if they are not already spoken for. thanks,
Pam
Duly noted, Pam.

I'll wait till your father has made his selection and then post the updated list of assigned parishes. OK ?

Paddy

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 am

Clare Admin wrote:Paddy,
Clare County Library will be very happy to provide 'administration backup' for this project. We'll create a new page for it, similar to what we did for the Tithe Applotment Books Project (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... _index.htm). I've been talking with Rainer Kosbi (our friendly maps guru) and we're looking at ultimately mapping emigration from Clare based on birth and death (or burial) records. Your project would be a huge asset for this in gathering essential data.
All the best for now.
Clare Admin
That would be perfect, Clare Admin. Linking the emigration to maps would put the whole thing on steroids.

Will come up with a proposal. Am still working on the combined parishes list.

Paddy

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:26 am

I will have covered Moynoe already as it falls into Scariff and Tuamgraney,

Tom McDowell

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Parishes list corrected accordingly and attached. Maybe you could check whether all your parishes are assigned to you in the list, Tom. Thanks.

Want to choose another one, Pam ?

Paddy
Attachments
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 546 times