Mary Allen

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Torres

Mary Allen

Post by Torres » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Jim,

Thanks for your efforts , any suggestions on the Allen side especially Mary born 1866 not 1868 as originally stated .

Regards

Tony

[from post re Margaret Gorman http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=1895]

Jim McNamara

Re: Mary Allen

Post by Jim McNamara » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:55 am

Tony,

I would be checking the parish registers where you believe this person lived. See the parish maps on the Irish Times site to get the film references at NLI and FHLC. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/

Also, in the donations section of the Clare Library site, Tom McDowell has posted various people found in the Ellis Island site which you may show she emigrated to NY from East County Clare parishes.

You can also check the LDS's Pilot Site to peruse the BDM index of the Irish Civil Registration collection. She may have died young or married.

Check the biographical notices on this site, it's an index of those found in the Clare Champion paper but only from 1935 and on.

Keep checking Google books and search in creative ways. Repeat this process periodically as new books are constantly being added.

Look for local history books, like the ones published by East Clare Heritage Centre.

Keep posting queries here and elsewhere. Some of my queries have been answered as late as 5 years afterward.

Do lots of Google searches. Read the help file on how that search engine functions.

Check the digital books section (links to google books) on this site. Read the books that are about your area.

Join the rootsweb ALLEN surname list and post periodic queries. Look at the Ancestry.com, surname boards - they are free. You do have to join (also free) but you will get better exposure there than anywhere. Use Ancestry.com from a FHL center, that is free. Search the member trees but remember there is lots of bad info on the trees. Trust but verify to be sure.

Just a few ideas. Anyone else have a few ideas for Tony? Thanks,

All the best,
Jim McNamara
Jim McNamara
Surnames of Interest: McNamara-McGrath, Cleary-Conway

"Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart." -Rumi

Torres

Re: Mary Allen

Post by Torres » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:16 am

Jim,

Thanks again for all the useful information and details provided I will make the relevant enquiries as suggested .

I have found trying to find any information on the Irish side of my Family especially the Donoghue name is a " minefield "
mainly due to lack of information and it being a common name in Ireland .

I will however keep trying , hopefully a penny will drop somewhere .

Regards

Tony