Stenson and Gurnell, Sixmilebridge County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

AlStaunton

Re: Stenson and Gurnell, Sixmilebridge County Clare

Post by AlStaunton » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:06 am

Another question, Emma Vale, Clare is given as the address of John Ormsby STENSON to Maria WEBB in 1847, where is this?

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 pm

pwaldron wrote:Have you checked the pamphlet by Niall Arthur Johnston produced to mark the tercentary of Kilpeacon Parish Church a few years ago?

I emailed Rev. Evans of Kilpeacon
The pamphlet by Niall Arthur Johnston produced to mark the tercentary of Kilpeacon Parish Church, is that still available?

and received

Morning Al
Thank you for this and I am asking one of my parish secretaries to search to see if the pamphlet is still around. With regard to records on John these will be held at the Church of Ireland RCB Library in Braemor Park, Dublin and I will send off a request today to see what they can turn up for you. I will revert to you as soon as I have further news.
Every blessing
Stan

Then the Parish secretary

Hi Al. Your email address has been passed to me. I have a interest in Church of Ireland History and I have come accross the name of Rev.J.O S in a limited way in the past. I could do some research here in my spare time but before doing so would ask boldly if you would make a donation to Kilpeacon Church which is currently being repaired. If this does not offend you, please email me what information you have to date.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:16 pm

I have more addresses for John O. Stenson, this time in Limerick so I will post these as a sequel to Al's original query regarding the family in Clare. I realize that the goal is to find more on the earliest generation, but tracking this minister as he finished his studies in Dublin and began his ministry is a good tangent.

I can't provide screenshots for all these listings, since one church directory has its pages displayed vertically rather than the usual horizontal view.

The Irish Church Directory 1862 p 96
http://tinyurl.com/4jfpja4
John O. Stenson appointed to curacy 1861, nothing as to year of ordination
Clonelty in Co. Limerick is his benefice; Clarina is the post town

The Irish Church Directory 1865
http://tinyurl.com/4ldxo9p
John O. ordained 1856, admitted to diocese same year; curacy as of 1861
p. 96 Clonelty is the benefice, post town is Newcastle West
p. 32 changes while in printing: appointed to curacy of Ballingarry

Crockford's Clerical Directory for 1870 (screenshot)
http://tiny.cc/2tr6m
John Stenson, Athea, Glin, Co. Limerick

posted by
Sharon Carberry
Rev. J Stenson, Glin.jpg
Rev. J Stenson, Glin.jpg (3.83 KiB) Viewed 29698 times

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:48 am

Sharon,
Thanks for your help it is most appreciated. Any info on Rev. John O Stenson is good. I have been able to access Crockfords on ancestry.com They have about 6 years of Crockfords available on line.
I emailed Rev Stan Evans of Kilpeacon nad he put me in touch with a parishioner who has access to some parish records and has been able to provide some other information.
Havent had any luck with this record :
DEATHS
On Friday last, aged 34 years, at Ballyquin, near Broadford, in the County
of Clare, the Rev. Mr. STENSON, P.P. of Newmarket-on-Fergus.
Friday, May 30, 1823
I have emailed the parish but no reply there.
I am getting results from other areas. A relation in South Africa sent me a photo of J O Stenson's son Rev. Edmund William Stenson along with photos of the church in Barkly west.

I have contacted Prinknash Abbey in England and have received information back on Rev. E W Stenson's grandson Cyril Howard Stenson who was ordained an Anglican priest in 1909 and was curate of St Giles in Stony Stratford but in 1914 converted to Catholic and was ordained priest in 1917. Spent most of his monastic life as Master of Studies. Made Subprior in 1938. Died at Prinknash Abbey in 1943

Sarah Jane Stenson dauhter of JOS married John Mahony a surgeon from Waterford. From this line I have been contacted by a relation in Canada. Waiting to hear back from him.
J O Stenson lived at 45 Cecil Street Limerick at the time of his death in 1870 the informant was named as Bridget Stenson but what her relationship wasn't recorded, so she is another part of the puzzle to be tracked down

So I am making progress and has been an interesting journey

Al Staunton
Last edited by AlStaunton on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:51 am

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Stenson and Gurnell, Sixmilebridge County Clare" at "Library Forum". This
topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following
link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you
visit the topic.

Would you believe I received that notification 130 times. Was thinking "WOW! its gone wild" but it was only in regards to Sharon's post above

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Al

At http://www.limerickcity.ie/webapps/Trad ... x?ID=33890 you will find the following entry:

Limerick City Trades Register 1769-1925
Record Details:#33890
Surname Stenson
Forename Maria
Trade Straw Hat Makers
Address 45 Upper Cecil Street
RegYear 1870
Directory Slater
Page 163

A few years later, 45 Upper Cecil Street had become part of McCarthy's hotel, which remained at that location until the mid-20th century.

\pw

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 am

Paddy,
thanks for that, Maria Stenson (nee Webb) would be my great great grandmother.
I just had a look down Cecil Street on google street view. Couldn't find no. 45 but the Limerick Anthanaeum has plenty of history attached to it.

Al

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:27 pm

No. 45 Cecil Street has a Rooney for sale sign outside it at:
http://maps.google.ie/maps?num=100&hl=g ... 75,,2,-2.2

No. 46, by coincidence, is now McCarthy Insurances Limited - no relation, I'm told, to the McCarthys who had the hotel on the site.

\pw

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I also found my Great Grandfather William John YOUNG in the Trades. He was a wine and spirit merchant and mineral waters manufacturer and commission Agent, Brunswick St and Wellesley Buildings in 1870. He continued in this lines in Australia along with being a cordial Manufacturer but in Brisbane he got done for having an illicit still so I guess he was doing more than making cordial.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:15 am

Is your greatgrandfather the W. J. Young whose wife's death notice is the last entry in the list at
http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/Loca ... icle/1875/ ?

I mentioned your finds on the limerickcity.ie website to Mike Maguire who is responsible for the library part of the website and he sent me these Stenson death notices from work in progress:

Stenson John Ormsby, Rev., Limerick Limerick Chronicle 26/04/1870 aged 60, son of late Rev. John Stenson, Emmavale, Co. Clare

Stenson Maria, 35 Lower Dominick Street, Dublin Limerick Chronicle 12/10/1871 widow of late Rev. J. O. Stenson, Cecil Street Upper, Limerick

Stenson Henry, Athea, Limerick Chronicle 08/10/1878 aged 70; Head Constable, R.I.C.; death notice

Stenson James, Limerick Chronicle 31/10/1878 aged 60; death notice

Stenson Vere H., 2 Shannon Street Limerick Chronicle 01/07/1902 death notice

Stenson Charles Frederick, St Brigid Villas Cork Limerick Chronicle 24/03/1906 death notice, son of late James Stenson, Limerick

Stenson Georgina (Georgie), Jersey Limerick Chronicle 25/06/1914 daughter of late Vere Hunt Stenson, Limerick city; death notice

\pw

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 am

Paddy,
No, that W J Young is not my Great Grandfather William John YOUNG he married my Great Grandmother Annabella STENSON in Dublin 1867. His Father was Samuel YOUNG and mother Ellen McANDRY and was born about 1838 in Portglennone in Antrim.

Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898 Groom's Name William John Young Groom's Birth Date 1840 Groom's Age 27 Bride's Name Annabelle Stenson Bride's Birth Date 1850 Bride's Age 17 Marriage Date 01 Apr 1867 Marriage Place Dublin North, Dublin, Ireland

These two records that you have found are not included in the online records as yet are very helpfull
It gives me the death of Maria STENSON that I didn't have.
Also Emmavale gets another mention. I havent been able to find where that may have been.

Stenson John Ormsby, Rev., Limerick Limerick Chronicle 26/04/1870 aged 60, son of late Rev. John Stenson, Emmavale, Co. Clare

Stenson Maria, 35 Lower Dominick Street, Dublin Limerick Chronicle 12/10/1871 widow of late Rev. J. O. Stenson, Cecil Street Upper, Limerick

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated

Al

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:43 am

Al,

You are reaping the good fortune of having a fairly unique surname for your research, with family members of sufficient means and stature in the 1800s that they were included in a nice variety of records. It makes for a bountiful family history, and perhaps you are ready for another aspect of it. I know this expands on your original aim, but there were a few of the Stenson surname who struck out for the New World, in a time period when Canadian settlement was a great new idea, more of a "pull" factor in emigration than the "push" caused by later famine years. Some Irish immigrants stayed in Ontario and a lot went south into the U.S. Consider this record:
Peter Robinson settlers on the ship
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passe ... by1823.htm
and
http://www.genealogy.com/users/c/o/p/Ja ... 5page.html

Regarding Ormsby, you may find that surname associated with Co. Galway and environs, as I have when casually looking into the Donnellan history that precedes the Clare part of my own family history. I have communicated with a Burke descendant (another big Galway surname), as she has both Donnellan and Ormsby in her well-documented history (her line intermarried with the Guinness family of brewery fame).

Sharon Carberry
USA

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:19 am

Hi Sharon,

I know of some members of the Stenson family that went to either the USA or Canada.
Vere Hunt STENSON went to USA for a few years then returned to Limerick.
After the death of his first wife, Margaret Hanrahan in 1884 he remarried Maria MOORE in Dublin in 1888
All three children from that marriage, Vera, Rosina and Raymond all emigrated to the USA, There are a number of descendants from these three living in the USA. I am in contact with one of them on ancestry. I message him through that and have asked to contact me by email for exchange of info etc but he isn't keen on that.
Georgina from the first marriage was born in the USA about 1883 but returned to Ireland with her family. She is in the 1901 and 1911 Ireland census but as one of the records from the Limerick Chronicle posted above by Paddy shows that she died in 1814 in jersey. Now I haven't been able to ascertain if that was the Isle of Jersey or she returned to the USA and it is Jersey there.
James Mahony JESSON great grandson of J. O. STENSON did emigrate to Canada in 1908 and served in the CEF in WW 1
There is another Emma STENSON that I have found named as daughter of Rev. J. O. STENSON married a Thomas George BLYTHE in Marylebone in 1871 and emigrated to Canada the next year. It seems while in Canada the name was changed to BLEITH. There were two sons Edwards Ormsby and Thomas George both went to the yukon for awhile. Still chasing this line down. Emma I havent been able to find a birth record for so don't know who she belongs to. The marriage says she was of full age so that would make birth about 1850 so on that date she could be a daughter of John Ormsby STENSON and Maria WEBB

Cheers
Al

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:32 pm

The 1851 Limerick Chronicle obituaries etc. have just been put up at
http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/Loca ... icle/1851/
and include:
Stenson, Jane (741 Kb) , Clare Street, Limerick Chronicle 17/05/1851, widow of Rev. John Stenson of Six-Mile-Bridge, Co. Clare
http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/05%2017%2051-4.pdf

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:15 am

Thanks again Paddy, Thats another piece of the jigsaw
Cheers
Al