Church of Ireland patron list 1818

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Church of Ireland patron list 1818

Post by smcarberry » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Lacking Church of Ireland expertise, I am not the best person to characterize what this volume is. The English language part of its title page is shown below. There is an index, which seems oriented to providing page numbers for included locations. I suppose this is useful for genealogy purpose if you need to know whether a particular location had a vicarage or rectory nearby. Seeing the Wyndham listing (Earl of Egremont, shown below), there is a possible further use in seeing what men had the right to proceeds from a specific area, as I think the Church of Ireland divided its administration into units for which lay people could pay for administration rights (don't quote me on that). You might try comparing this volume with the one by Philip Dwyer (previously discussed on this Forum), which is a Google Book and covers Church of Ireland matters a few decades prior to this volume's time.

In any case, this is a good time period in which to have any authoritative resource. Once you have chosen the specific format you want to use, there is a search engine to bring up particular localities. Killaloe works well. For deciphering the single letters used for abbreviations, input the search word "abbreviation" since what you need to see is called List of Abbreviation (in the singular).

Here is the link:
Patrioniii Ecclesianum or a List of the Patrons of the United Church of England and Ireland

http://www.archive.org/details/patrioni ... 00irelgoog

Sharon Carberry
USA
Patron list report, 1818, cover.jpg
Patron list report, 1818, cover.jpg (24.06 KiB) Viewed 5817 times
Wyndham, 1818 church patron listing.jpg
Wyndham, 1818 church patron listing.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 5817 times

ftipple

Re: Church of Ireland patron list 1818

Post by ftipple » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Weren't "patrons" the people in whose gift the living of a parish was?

pwaldron

Re: Church of Ireland patron list 1818

Post by pwaldron » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Lewis's topography (1837) generally mentions the patron of each parish, e.g. for Kilconry (near Shannon Airport):
"The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Tomfinlough or Traddery, in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont; and the vicarage is part of the vicarial union of Kilfinaghty, in the gift of the Bishop." See http://www.booksulster.com/library/topog/k2.php