John Hallinan

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

andersoncathy10

John Hallinan

Post by andersoncathy10 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Mary Hallinan is one from my family tree who Married Patrick Howard here in Australia in 1864, both from Clare. On Mary's death certificate it says her parents were Jno Hallinan and Bridget Torpy. I have found a John Hallinan in the Parish of Quin's valuation of Tenements, Ballyhannan South, along with other names that appear in with the family over here in Australia. How do I know if I have the right John (or Jno) Hallinan, and how do I go about finding their Marriage and Mary's Birth. We also know that Mary had a brother Patrick Hallinan who also came to Australia and married Mary Cusack in 1820, we do not know if Patrick Hallinan married Mary Cusack in Ireland or here. Are there any other siblings and how do I find out.
Any Idea's
Cathy

murf

Re: John Hallinan

Post by murf » Sun May 13, 2012 4:44 am

Cathy
The dates you provide seem a little odd, with Mary Hallinan wed in 1864, and her brother Patrick in 1820. Are these dates really correct?
Do you know when Mary and Patrick emigrated, and if so have you checked their shipping records? Some of these records supply townland and county under "Native Place & Calling".
I presume that "valuation of tenements" refers to Griffiths Valuation, in which five John Hallinans are listed for County Clare, along with a couple of John Hallanans. (We will neglect for the moment the possibility that he might have called himself John Halloran - there are a squillion of those).
You have focussed your attention on John Hallinan of Ballyhannan South, presumably because of "other names" associated with the family. It may be helpful if you elaborated on this. The more info you supply with your query makes it more likely that help will come.
If you establish that Ballyhannan South is the best bet for the location of your Hallinan family, then the next step would be to search the Quin Parish registers. In your case it may be a stroke of luck because the baptism record for Quin Parish starts in 1816.

andersoncathy10

Post by andersoncathy10 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks Murf
Sorry here are the dates corrected
Patrick Hallinan was born around 1830 died 1912 and Mary Hallinan was born around 1833 and died 1895.
Patrick married Mary Cusak at age 22, and lived in Australia for 60 Years putting him in Australia in 1852. Mary Hallinan married John Flanagan in Melbourne Australia in 1853, died in 1895 living in Australia 43 Years putting her here in 1852.
Having trouble findind passanger lists.
Attachments
Mary Howard (nee Hallinan) Death Certificate.pdf
(184.02 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Patrick Hallinan Death Certificate.pdf
(192 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

murf

Post by murf » Mon May 14, 2012 6:15 am

Patrick Hallinan's death certificate shows that he married Mary Cusack in County Clare around 1852, ie immediately prior to emigrating. So now you have this marriage and the baptisms of Patrick and his sister Mary in 1830 and 1833 as focal points for your Clare research.
It may be useful to first chase down the death certificate for Mary Cusack Hallinan which should show her father's name. There is a better than even chance that Patrick and his bride came from the same (or adjacent) parish. This being so then it may be possible to match the Hallinan, Cusack and Torpy names in Griffiths Valuation to come up with a likely Parish.
I can understand your difficulty with the passenger lists. It would appear that PROV has transferred its online(?) passenger lists onto a new website. I have had a couple of goes to access the supposedly online records only to be driven around in circles and come up empty. Am I missing something or is PROV's new website riddled with bugs?
Seems to me they should take a few hints from the NSW State Records Office which provides a huge array of user-friendly indexes at zero cost.