McGRATHs, Laccaroe Townland / Rossanure Townland

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Jim McNamara

McGRATHs, Laccaroe Townland / Rossanure Townland

Post by Jim McNamara » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:22 am

My Great-grandmother, Hanora McGRATH was married to Daniel McNAMARA 3 FEB 1883. Both were from Laccaroe townland. I find the McNAMARA family stays in Laccaroe for 1901 and 1911 census but by 1901 the John McGRATH family is no longer in Laccaroe (AKA Lacarrow/Lecarrow Lower). I believe I have found them in Rossanure townland in 1901. Rossanure is about 3/4 of a mile south of Laccaroe Lower.

There are two John McGRATHs however. One has a wife Bessy (Eliza) Rogers while the other's wife is Mary. I am leaning toward the John and Mary couple as one witness to the 1883 marriage was Mary McGRATH. Since the actual births are filmed (1864 and on) I will eventually use the birth index and filmed records to find the Scarriff SRD McGRATHs born from 1864 through 1870 and look for a younger sibling to Hanora born in Laccaroe. Since both of the John McGRATHs are not found in the 1911 census, their marriage date is difficult to uncover, but must be before 1860 since both spouses were of full age when married in 1883.

From the combination of Feakle parish registers (1860-1881), 1901/1911 census, and family search's pilot site, I have made some family groups and will list these in other posts as this one is already too long.

I have checked the FamilySearch.org pilot site but not getting the results I expect. BTW, for this site, Mac names in civil registration of Ireland needs to be searched several ways:
- M' (apostrophe)
- Mc
- Mac
- Mc<Space>
- Mac<Space>

Has anyone found a better way overcome the pilot search sites shortcoming with Mac names?

Any suggestions for a different strategy of linking back to the previous generation?

Thank you,
Jim McNamara
Surnames of Interest: McNamara-McGrath, Cleary-Conway

"Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart." -Rumi