Donnellan flood rescue 1840, Cratloe area

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Donnellan flood rescue 1840, Cratloe area

Post by smcarberry » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:36 pm

The Times (London UK) published on 12 Feb 1840 this article describing the flooding in southern Clare and the daring
rescue by Michael Donnellan "of the New Road" of the only traveler left of a party of four who attempted to use the
Groody turnpike, which was the Dublin mail-coach road. The Clare County Library has nothing on that road name, but
I assume it was one running out of Limerick city to Ennis.

I would like to better identify the involved rescuer, because my family's Michael Donnellan was alive at the time and residing in/near Kilkishen when his last child Michael was baptized in Sep 1837. However, Ken Dickens of Australia has a Michael Donnellan in that time period who lived in Clonbrick, also a Kilkishen location. Those two may well be the same two in the Tithe Applotment records of 1826 for this area, with no others of the same name in East Clare. Later, in the 1850s as shown in the GV, there would be several men of that name in this general lower East Clare area. So, anything more specific to 1840 would be appreciated or anything bearing on a man of this name owning or having use of a horse might be helpful. This Cratloe area is roughly ten or more miles from Kilkishen, so this man was not out for leisure especially at such a dangerous time. But, he was at the right place at the right time for this lady. I am so pleased to learn of his valor.

Sharon Carberry
Georgia USA
Attachments
Donnellan 1840 flood rescue.pdf
(156.49 KiB) Downloaded 614 times