Custy Headstone

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Custy Headstone

Post by Sduddy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:27 am

The transcriptions for Drumcliff old graveyard show some Casey headstones, but I am almost certain that one of these is for the Custys from Kilcurrish (also called Kilcross), in the parish of Dysert. The inscription is transcribed as “Erected by Patrick Casey Killcross In loving memory of his mother Mary who died 6th July 1917 aged 52 years. His daughter Sarah who died 23rd Nov. 1919 aged 15 years" [Grave no. 180].
The photo shows a very weathered headstone and I imagine it must have been very difficult to make out the inscription. The Mary, who died in 1917, was Mary McKee (1859 – 1917). She was Patrick’s third wife. Their daughter, Sarah (1902 - 1918) died the following year. I think that Sarah was the first of that family to be buried in Drumcliff. I checked the register of burials in the Local Studies Centre and found that Patrick’s parents, John Custy (1810 – 1890) and Sarah Considine (1815 – 1891) are not listed. They are probably buried in the little graveyard in Kilcross.
Even though Patrick (1850 – 1930) had about eleven children in all, I do not think there are any descendants living in Ireland. The last Custy, who lived in Kilcurrish, died in 1963.
Four of Patrick’s brothers went to New York. They were all there by 1880, mainly in Long Island City, and have plenty of descendants. There are other Custys all over the US – all originating in County Clare, I feel sure, as Custy is a very, very County Clare name, and all the Custys in the 1901 census are either living in Co. Clare, or from Co. Clare.
I was touched to see that the gravestones for William Custy (1807 – 1860) and Thomas Custy (? – 1873), who were farmers in Shelby County, Ohio, are both inscribed, “Native of Claire Co. Ireland”. The gravestone of a John Custy (1855 – 1931) who lived in Lewis and Clark County, Montana, is inscribed, “Born in Ireland”. The story of a John Custy, born in Ireland in 1879, died in Salem, Marion County, Oregon, in 1933, was researched by a volunteer for findagrave.com. – amazing.
My expertise, however, is confined to the Kilcurrish Custys.

Sheila

Clare Admin

Re: Custy Headstone

Post by Clare Admin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Hello Shiela.

Yes, we think you are right and the name on the headstone does appear to be 'Custy' on close inspection of the image (attached). The transcribers (Clare Roots Society) were happy for us to change the information on the website relating to the headstone to reflect this.

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention and the best of luck with your research.

All the best,
Clare Admin
Attachments
00011627_detail.jpg
00011627_detail.jpg (428.58 KiB) Viewed 9414 times

Sduddy

Re: Custy Headstone

Post by Sduddy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:33 am

Thank you very much for changing the name - also thank to Clare Roots Society. The inscription should be: "Erected by Patrick Custy in loving memory of his wife Mary who died 6th July 1917 aged 52 years. His daughter Sarah who died 23rd Nov. 1918 aged 15 years".

Mary was aged 58, according to the Irish Civil Registration record, but it may well have been 52 in the inscription. People were not fussed about ages - they just made a good guess, and neither age may be the right one.

findagrave.com copied the original entry - I will see if I can get that changed too.

By the way, I see that I made a mistake myself - the dates I gave for Patrick's father, John Custy, are wrong. They should be 1814 - 1891. His death was on the 3rd Sept. 1890, but fell under 1891 for registration.

Sheila