Kilmaley baptism records

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Houben

Kilmaley baptism records

Post by Houben » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:13 pm

In researching the Kilmaley Baptism records for the Thomas CROWE I found the following entry for 1836:
"Dec 4th Ths of James Rowe + Bridget Hartigan
sps Denis Griffy and Bridget Gleeson place Slaveen."
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls0 ... 1/mode/1up
I know that Crowe was misspelt as his other siblings had the correct spellings, they also had the place Slaveen added.
Could anyone please inform me why the "place Slaveen" was added to the baptism entry as I believe it to be some 6 kilometers from Kilmaley and in the Parish of Drumcliff.

johnmayer

Re: Kilmaley baptism records

Post by johnmayer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Houben,

I have noticed many Kilmaley baptisms from the same geographic area of Drumcliff parish. Kilmaley Parish has three chapels, and the chapel in Inch may have been closer to many Drumcliff parish families.

There are also other baptisms for that same family in Kilmaley

Mary on March 23, 1835, John on April 4, 1839, Catherine on May 13, 1845, and James on May 17, 1854.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:39 pm

It appears the Crowe family farm as identified in the 1855 Griffith's Valuation abutted the townland of Magouna in Kilmaley Parish, so the Crowe family was basically just outside the parish boundary. Their neighbors the Fitzpatrick's and Barry's also used Kilmaley Parish.

Houben

Post by Houben » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 am

Thank you John Mayer

The St John Church at Kilmaley must have been special to the residents of the townland Rathcragguan.

regards