Information Please: County Clare Surname (Russell)

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

KathyO

Information Please: County Clare Surname (Russell)

Post by KathyO » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:33 am

I am visiting Ireland, and particularly County Clare, in August. I am looking for information on my great, great grandfather, Lawrence Russell, born in County Clare (Kilkee/Kilrush?) June of 1862 and came to America in 1880. His mother's name was Lynch. I believe most were farmers, but two had general stores in Kilkee; two others had a large clothing store in Kilrush; and another relative had a large medical practice in Kilrush. Any information would be appreciated. Thank You - KathyO

Paddy Casey

Re: Information Please: County Clare Surname (Russell)

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 am

Kathy,

Have you been through the data on the Clare County Library site at http://www.clarelibrary.ie ? Masses of Lynchs and Russells there.

Paddy

KathyO

Post by KathyO » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Thank you. I have been using that site, but as yet have been unable to verify which Russell is linked to me. I will continue to work on it prior to my trip. It would be nice to know correct information and connections, but I am just so excited to actually be there.

KathyO

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:01 pm

KathyO wrote:Thank you. I have been using that site, but as yet have been unable to verify which Russell is linked to me. I will continue to work on it prior to my trip. It would be nice to know correct information and connections, but I am just so excited to actually be there.

KathyO
In this situation with so little precise information, unless something amazing turns up (e.g. full family tree sketched on old letter dated 1823 found in back of ancient chest of drawers which was about to be thrown out) one has to work on probabilities. One approach here is to go through the old records (tithes, Griffiths, etc) looking for Russells and Lynchs in townlands which are adjacent or within 5 miles of each other. This is based on the rule-of-thumb that rural families in the 19th century tended to find mates within 5 miles of their homes.

Just an idea. It's often successful.

If you are lucky one of your ancestors might have been hung for some ghastly crime, in which case he/she will have featured in the papers of the time. In the 19th century celebrated cases often dragged on for months or years and ended in a public execution which attracted large crowds, among them the newspaper reporters. There are lots of these reports in this forum.

An ancestor may also have been tried for some lesser crime, e.g. maiming cattle or illicit distilling. Again, there are press reports in this forum.

Oh, and when planning your visit to Clare pencil in a generous amount of time for a visit to the Local Studies Centre (LSC) at the Clare Library in Ennis (see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/librar ... studi1.htm ). They have masses of local records, e.g. baptisms and other church records, old newspapers, obituaries, local directories, and the very knowledgeable staff can direct your nose to the most likely scent. Just to mention one of a zillion possibilities, if one of your ancestors was Someone in their area, e.g. a well-established tradesman or victualler or a professional person, they may well have had a prominent ad in one of the local papers which are archived at the LSC.

Paddy

KathyO

Post by KathyO » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Paddy

I love it! Our family is pretty boring, but I'll hope there was an exciting person in my past. It is looking more and more like I will have to make a return trip to County Clare for just this purpose.

Kathy