Jones of Feakle. Research [and online maps of Clare]

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Lou Gage

Re: Jones of Feakle. Research [and online maps of Clare]

Post by Lou Gage » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Update on some Jones of east Clare. Had a very successful trip to County Clare. Met many helpful and friendly people. But did connect some dots and even put a Clare women in touch with cousin "Down Under". Found a cousin of my own. LouG

Finola

Re: Jones of Feakle. Research [and online maps of Clare]

Post by Finola » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Hello, I am the cousin “down under” in Australia who Lou introduced to her 2nd cousin from Scariff. Neither of us had any knowledge of the other so this was a huge breakthrough and a thrill for us both. We are both great granddaughters of William JONES and Margaret NAUGHTON of Aughrim, Scariff. Her grandfather being their son William Jr [b.1858] and my grandfather is their son Patrick [b.1864].

William Sr. died 12 Mar 1892 and Margaret died 2 Mar 1913. They are buried in a family plot in St Cronan’s churchyard, Tuamgraney, with sons James and William Jr, and William Jr’s wife and some of their family.

The children of William and Margaret from the Baptism Register at Sacred Heart Church, Scariff are:
1. John JONES bapt 31 Oct 1855, Sponsors John & Anne Jones; married 1 Mary BOURKE abt. 1882 [she died 5 Jun 1895, bur Moynoe graveyard]; married 2 Bridget LENIHAN abt 1898.
2. William JONES bapt 25 Apr 1858, Sponsors Pat & Mary Jones; married Bridget DOOLEY abt. 1900, d. 24 May 1955, both buried in St Cronan’s churchyard, Tuamgraney.
3. Mary JONES bapt 18 Sep 1860, Sponsors William & Mary Jones  [Mary married but I don't know the date or name of her spouse].
4. Pat JONES bapt 3 Dec 1862, Sponsors James & Mary Guilfoyle; died infant.
5. Pat JONES (2) bapt 8 Aug 1864, Sponsors Michael Jones & Bridget Minogue; married Nora Mary WARD on 8 Feb 1896 Tipperary, d. 27 Feb 1939 in Churchtown, Newcastle West, Co. Limerick.
6. Michael JONES bapt 22 Jun 1867, Sponsors Roderick Jones & Kate Rodgers.
7. Kate JONES bapt 16 May 1870, Sponsors John Malley & Bridget Guilfoyle; married James FARRELL abt. 1896, bur. St Cronan’s, Tuamgraney.
8. Margaret JONES bapt 14 Dec 1872, Sponsors William & Margaret Jones; married Denis BLEACH in 1901, lived Cappabane, bur Moynoe graveyard.
9. James JONES bapt 17 Aug 1875, Sponsors William & Mary Jones; died 10 Feb 1909 bur. St Cronan’s, Tuamgraney.
10. Brigid JONES bapt 11 Oct 1881 [called "Delia"], Sponsors Patrick Jones & Bridget Halloran; "Delia" married Patrick MORONEY about 1907, bur Moynoe graveyard.

My thanks to Lou for finding the baptisms for me, and for finding my cousin, who has already added much to my knowledge of the family but we still have a long way to go. I would like to know who child 3, Mary, married? Also, were the various baptism sponsors personally related to this JONES family? I would love to hear from anyone who is connected. Finola