Co Clare family

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

James Sullivan

Co Clare family

Post by James Sullivan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi
I am trying to trace my G Grandfathers wife, parents and birthplace. His name was John King and he signed on as a boy sailor in the Royal Navy in 1856. His date of birth is given as 11 May 1840 at Kilrush Co.Clare. I do not have a first name for his father but his mothers maiden name was Mary Green.I have been able to trace his career in the navy and the coastguard service until he was shore pensioned in 1890. He married Kate Agnes Welsh , as yet I have been unable to find the details of the marriage although I have traced 9 children of the marriage. The first born was John George born in Sligo in 1870, by this time John King was a boatman in the coastguard service. My Grandmother Mary Catherine and at least two other siblings were born in the coastguard station in Ballyshannon between 1876-1879. After his retirement from the service the family lived in Thomond Gate Limerick. My Grandmother married John Kelly in Glasgow in 1900. His mothers maiden name was Alice King and his father was Timothy Kelly. The King/Kelly union appears again as my 'Great Aunt' in Glasgow was Margaret Kelly, father William Kelly and mothers maiden name Elizabeth King. I am hoping to visit Co. Clare later this month and wonder where I should start my search. Would I be able to find any records of this period in the Clare library. Thank you in advance for any help or information.
James L Sullivan

Paddy Casey

Re: Co Clare family

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:07 pm

James,

Have you already exhausted the online databases at http://www.clarelibrary.ie ?

Paddy

KatieClár

Re: Co Clare family

Post by KatieClár » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:43 am

The King name can still be found in the Miltown Malbay area. It is not a common name in Clare , so anyone researching their ancestors of this name, should not encounter too many problems.
It might be beneficial to put "King" in the title of your post for future reference. There might be other people researching this family title, and it would stand out more in a search.

Good luck with the research :)