East Clare contributors 1880 to Parnell Defence Fund

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

East Clare contributors 1880 to Parnell Defence Fund

Post by smcarberry » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser (Dublin, Ireland)
6 Dec 1880

The Parnell Defence Fund

"On the part of the Kilkishen and O'Callaghan Mills branches of the Irish National Land League, I have very great pleasure in sending you a cheque for L [pounds character] 26 for the defence fund, and payable to the Lord Mayor, being the amount of contributions of the priests and people of my parish received at the door of the different churches last Sunday. This sum, coming from the combined parishes of Killurin and Clonlea, is intended to show that the people...are determined to defend at any cost these good and patriotic men, who have been so unceasing in their effforts to remove the galling and oppressive wrongs from which the people have been so long patiently suffering....I hope that the English people will see that the Irish farmers are fully aware that the State prosecutions are only a delusion, a mockery, and a snare...
Denis Cleary, P.P."
[also listed: Reb. Denis O'Brien, C.C.]

The attachment shows all secular contributors, listed as "principal contributors." I have alphabetized the list, but the
original spellings are retained. I also did not change the abbreviations. Michael is shown as both "Ml." and 'Michl."
and some surnames are variously ended with "ey" or simply "y." There are multiples of a few names, but those are not
indicated on the attached list. Be aware that there can be more than two men named, e.g. Pat Donlan.

Sharon Carberry
Attachments
East Clare contributors, Defence Fund 1880.pdf
(34.77 KiB) Downloaded 582 times