Pilots, Rivers Shannon & Fergus, 1876, '90, name & age

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Pilots, Rivers Shannon & Fergus, 1876, '90, name & age

Post by smcarberry » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:05 pm

"Google books" yields yet other British House of Commons reports that names Clare people (by name and ages) in 1876 and 1890, this time the river pilots who plied the Fergus and the Shannon (screenshots below). Apparently also, one report provides names and ages of pilots in the Western District, which is supposed to have been Carrigaholt, erroneously spelled as Canigaholt. You can easily reach these reports by using key terms, such as "river fergus +pilots" and with just "river fergus" you can see several other descriptions of the River Fergus, one of which I will next post, a travelers guide of the late 1700s.

I will complete this topic in a "reply" to this posting, with the 1890 report listing the Western District pilots, as the maximum number of attached files for any one posting is 3.

Sharon Carberry
River Fergus pilots 1876, p.jpg
River Fergus pilots 1876, p.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 28251 times
Limerick port pilots 1876.jpg
Limerick port pilots 1876.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 28248 times
Limerick port pilots 1890, p.jpg
Limerick port pilots 1890, p.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 28237 times

smcarberry

Re: Pilots, Rivers Shannon & Fergus, 1876, '90, name & age

Post by smcarberry » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Here is the Western District listing for 1890.
Limk port W. Dist, 1890 pilots p.jpg
Limk port W. Dist, 1890 pilots p.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 28236 times

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Hello Sharon - sorry I am a bit late replying - on hols in U.S. (Va. & N.C. - great time)
Extra info for you - on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Donated Material - Family Histories - there you will find the complete book by Senan Scanlan (himself a retired pilot) - Inhabitants of Scattery Island - it contains a family pedigree of Brennan & Griffin families. Book describes how the pilots from Kilbaha (near Loop Head) salvaged 'The Winsor Castle' ship - and purchased Scattery Island with the money. I would say the name 'Milligan' should be 'Melican' - I recall it being pronounced 'Maolican' some years ago - so that is Mulligan in Irish.
The Griffin family operate a ferry boat from Marina, Kilrush to Scattery Island - weather and tides permitting.
Miriam.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 am

Miriam, your additional info on these pilots and also pointing the way to Senan Scanlan's donated family history involving Scattery Island - all that placed here allows a Clare descendant (however remotely located now) to get immersed in what is undoubtedly a long and rich tradition of river life. Here in the States, every school child gets a taste of Mississippi River life in the 1800s through the writings of Mark Twain and his unforgettable characters like Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.

Thanks, and may you have many lovely trips over to our shores. My daughter lives in Virginia, just outside D.C.

Sharon in Georgia

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Sharon - it is ironic that you should mention 'descendants remotely located' - on Face book there is a site called Kilrush Local History Group - and some time ago there was a photo of Scattery Island shown. There was a request as to where it could be purchased - and it came all the way from Alaska from a relation of the Melican familty. !! I told themn about Senan Scanlan's book - and hoped that they didn't travel all to way to Alaska by boat. !! Miriam.

doheochai

Post by doheochai » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Don't know if this information is of use - it relates to the river pilots in 1812. I found it in the Limerick Chamber of Commerce minute book for while conducting some research.

Basically the story goes as follows. In June 1812 a dispute arose between the masters of vessels coming into Limerick Port and the river pilots who navigated the safe entry into port. This resulted in the masters using uncertified pilots. The Chamber of Commerce got involved in mediating the dispute and reached agreement with both parties. The Chamber subsequently drafted an agreement to be signed by the river pilots comprising of:

‘We the undersigned Pilots of the River Shannon in consideration of obtaining from the Committee of the Chamber of Commerce Certificates of qualification to entitle us to practice as pilots and also to protect us from being impressed for the service of the Navy; do hereby promise to observe such rules and regulations as shall be hereafter made by the said Committee and also to make such charges for Pilotage and no other as shall be appointed by the said Committee for the time being – And we also agree to return such certificates to the Chamber of Commerce when called for’.

The list of the river pilots who signed the agreement with the Chamber of Commerce to end a dispute with the Master Ships Captains on 19 June 1812.
Michael Behane
Patrick Behane Jnr.
Patrick Behane
Denis Behane
John Behane
James Meara
Michael Mahony
Thomas Mahony
William Martin
Thomas Honan
David Muligan
John Gregan
Thomas O’Donnell
Timothy Behane
John O’Donohue
Felix Mulligan
Owen Hanrahan
Daniel McDonnell
Robert Proudfoot
Thomas Gibbon
James Kelly
Patrick Culligan
Mathew Mcgrath
Mathew Mcgrath Jnr
John Fitzmaurice
Robert Crawford
James Gibbons
David Proudfoot
Tarboy Proudfoot
Marty Behane
John Martin
Patrick McDonnell
Barnaby McMahon
James Martin
John Piggott
George ?
Patrick ?
Michael ?

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Looks like very useful information - thanks for posting that. A descendant need only search the Forum messages with a key word like "pilot" to receive all this information not included in the typical encyclopedia or history book.

Sharon Carberry

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Interesting I was wondering what a pilot was. The father of the wife of a Great Great Uncle occupation was listed as being a Pilot this was in Limerick in 1879. Matthew Hanrahan was the Pilot and there in the above lists is a Matthew Hanrahan in Limerick 1876.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Al - just as there is an 'Air Pilot' - so too there is a 'Sea Pilot' - these are men who are qualified to guide ships up the river - in this case - particulary the Shannon and Limerick region - I can only speak for Kilrush where there is a Pilot Boat based. I am sure Foynes & Limerick also have some. There are some dangerous currents in the area of the Shannon near Scattery Island.
There is a book called 'Inhabitants of Scattery Island' on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - under 'Donated Material - Family Histories' - I am sure you would enjoy it.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Al - I forgot to mention that the name of the book is 'Inhabitants of Scattery Island' - and it is under GENEALOGY on http://www.clarelibary.ie Miriam

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:30 am

Hi Miriam
Thanks for the info but you got the link wrong
http://www.clarelibary.ie/
should be
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/

Cheers
Al

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Al - apologies !! - I got it correct on my initial reply - but mis-spelt 'LIBRARY' on my second posting. !!
You should pay a visit to the 'Shannon Region'. Miriam.

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:52 am

Hi Miriam,
It is my intention to visit Ireland and Clare/Limerick will be high on the list of places to visit. I want to find out as much info on my ancestors before I go so that I can visit the places where they lived.
My GG Grandparents Patrick STAUNTON and his wife Ann O'KEEFE arrived in Adelaide, South Australia in 1855. The passenger list states his occupation as a ploughman from Limerick. Where about though I am still to find out

Cheers
Al

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Al - re your search for Staunton Family in Co. Limerick.
I had a look at Census for 1901 - and there are only 10 Stauntons in Co. Limerick - with Margaret aged 70 - who could be a sister to Patrick. I also had a look at site of Church of Latter Day Saints - and it shows families in rural areas of Kilmallock, Newcastle West and in East Limerick which is in Tipperary Reg. Area.
The fact that Patrick is shown as 'ploughman' is making me concentrate on rural area.
You would need a good map of Co. Limerick - as I don't know areas mentioned on Census - and you could apply to http://www.groireland.ie for a copy of a death cert. for a Staunton who died in 1870's or so - who might be related to Patrick.
Perhaps there is a site called 'Limerick Local History' or so - that might give you info on Co. Limerick.
Limerick County Council poss. have info on their Library.
A visit to the Hunt Museum and Foynes museum on seaplanes should be in your plans.
Miriam.

AlStaunton

Post by AlStaunton » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks Miriam,
In rootsireland.ie I have found a possible baptism for Patrick Staunton 18/03/1827 Glenacurrane, Kilbehenny, Limerick. Father: William Staunton
and 2 baptism records for Anne O'Keeffe (1) 05/02/1832 (2) 07/05/1831 both events occurred at St John's Limerick
and a marriage record for Patrick Staunton and Anne O'Keeffe 07/05/1854, St Michael's, Limerick

Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Kilbeheny, County Limerick I found 4 Stauntons :
Staunton Ellen Glenacurrane Kilbeheny Limerick
Staunton Honoria Glenacurrane Kilbeheny Limerick
Staunton William Glenacurrane Kilbeheny Limerick
Staunton William Lackendarragh Kilbeheny Limerick

The Margaret Staunton you mention is an interesting one. She being listed in the 1901 census as a farmer with a niece and nephew as farm servants, living at Castlequarter Knocknascrow, Limerick
The site of Church of Latter Day Saints you mention, is it familysearch.org?

cheers
Al