Clare Library Development Plan 2010-2015

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Ellen Crehan

Clare Library Development Plan 2010-2015

Post by Ellen Crehan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:09 pm

Greetings from Australia,

Regarding the above Development Plan 2010-2015 I am pleading for on line services provided by the Library to be given a very high priority.

The County Information services available to us on the net are invaluable and the historical documents at the Local History Centre in Ennis have provided an irreplaceable nucleus for the preservation & documentation of the Clare Local history and heritage.

The wealth of County heritage and history on the Clare County Library website are of enormous benefit to us "Clare children" on the other side the world and I am sure of great benefit to the residents of County Clare as well.

I wish to highlight the fact that the links between the County and its sons and daughters in the worldwide Diaspora (and Australia must be at the top of the list in this category) is an essential element in developing the County's heritage and consequently promoting the tourism with which it is inevitably linked. I have several friends who, through researching their Clare family history, have visited Ireland, some several times.

The Library's internet services are pivotal in this endeavour.

With very limited resources the people at the Clare County Library are working wonders. PLEASE, give high priority to this small but very effective structure for the benefit of the County and, if possible, promote its development to take advantage of new information technologies which can expand the dissemination of Clare information across the world.

Thank you for this opportunity to offer a submission on the Library Development Plan 2010-2015

Cheers,

Ellen Crehan

carmo

CLARE LIBRARY DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2010-2015

Post by carmo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 am

In support of the ongoing funding of the online services provided by the Library, the availability of the resources is important to all those that have a connection with County Clare.
The following extract from Emigration by Naoise Cleary, Founder of Clare Heritage Centre, is testament to the importance of this resource.

The extent of emigration from Ireland to Australia was very great up to 1870, which is reflected to-day in the fact that one in every three Australians has Irish roots - over five million in a population of 16 million. Enumeration of emigrants began in 1851. We can only speculate on the extent of emigration before that date. However between 1st May 1851 and 31st March 1881, 100,496 Clare men and women left Ireland for foreign parts and remarkably males led females by exactly only 100 souls.

One in every three Australians has Irish roots.
The population of Australia is 22 million.
The numbers with Clare roots would be in the millions.

Please give this resource a priority.

Thank You
Bill Carmody

Paddy Casey

Re: CLARE LIBRARY DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2010-2015

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Ellen Crehan wrote:Greetings from Australia,

Regarding the above Development Plan 2010-2015 I am pleading for on line services provided by the Library to be given a very high priority.

The County Information services available to us on the net are invaluable and the historical documents at the Local History Centre in Ennis have provided an irreplaceable nucleus for the preservation & documentation of the Clare Local history and heritage.

The wealth of County heritage and history on the Clare County Library website are of enormous benefit to us "Clare children" on the other side the world and I am sure of great benefit to the residents of County Clare as well.

I wish to highlight the fact that the links between the County and its sons and daughters in the worldwide Diaspora (and Australia must be at the top of the list in this category) is an essential element in developing the County's heritage and consequently promoting the tourism with which it is inevitably linked. I have several friends who, through researching their Clare family history, have visited Ireland, some several times.

The Library's internet services are pivotal in this endeavour.

With very limited resources the people at the Clare County Library are working wonders. PLEASE, give high priority to this small but very effective structure for the benefit of the County and, if possible, promote its development to take advantage of new information technologies which can expand the dissemination of Clare information across the world.

Thank you for this opportunity to offer a submission on the Library Development Plan 2010-2015

Cheers,

Ellen Crehan
Hi Ellen,

I flagged this matter in a posting on 17-Feb-2010. The posting was viewed 200 times and yours is the first reply.

The closing date for submission of proposals was 26-Mar-2010.

Paddy