Hickey Family Culleen Drumline 1665

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

chasbaz

Hickey Family Culleen Drumline 1665

Post by chasbaz » Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 pm

I have a connection with the Hickey family from Culleen Drumline Urlan Bunratty Lower Newmarket-on-Fergus (Traderee) and the name Michael Hickey was a tenant there in 1665. I cannot establish the connection between him and Lawrence Hickey who married Mary Liddy in 1841. Can anyone shed a light?
The Hickey family also have links to Killulla.
Thomas Frost's book about the 1600's in Clare names Michael Hickey in Ballycunneen which he then goes on to state that it should have been called Culleen Drumline
Thanks
Charlie Hickey

pwaldron

Re: Hickey Family Culleen Drumline 1665

Post by pwaldron » Thu May 27, 2010 3:49 pm

The Hickeys of Ballycuneen are mentioned in the following articles:

author = {Patrick Hogan},
year = 1948,
title = {Thady {O'Halloran} of Ballycunneen, Co. Clare. (1727--1798). His
Common-Place Book Edited, with a Pedigree and some Notes},
journal = {North Munster Antiquarian Journal},
volume = 5,
number = 4,
pages = {102--116}

author = {P. Hogan},
year = 1956,
title = {Extracts from the Common Place Book or ``Diary'' of Thady
{O'Halloran} of Ballycuneen, Bunratty, Co. Clare, 1727--1798.},
journal = {North Munster Antiquarian Journal},
volume = {VII},
number = 3,
pages = {12--17}

By educated guesswork, I would conclude that the Michael Hickey of Ballycunneen who appears in the Hickey entry in Burke's Irish Family Records (1976, p.587) is the same person as the Michael Hickey of Ballycunneen mentioned by Hogan (1948, p.115, note 5). The latter was a grandfather by 1718; the former had a first cousin (Rev Charles Hickey) ordained a priest in 1690. Thus they appear to have been of the same generation.

I have no idea how any of these might be connected to Culleen Drumline.

chasbaz

Post by chasbaz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:46 pm

That is very informative and i am really convinced thatthe connection is stronger as you mention a Rev. Charles Hickey who I believe may have been Church of Ireland.
Thanks
Charlie hickey

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:03 am

Burke's Irish Family Records (1976, p. 587) merely says "Charles (Rev), ordained 1690". Recent generations of the Hickey family have been Catholic and I may well have jumped to a hasty conclusion in using the word `priest' and thinking that the Hickeys of 1690 were also Catholic.

Cornelius, Roman Catholic greatgreatgrandson of Rev. Charles's eldest brother, can currently be found in the 1901 census at
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... n/1077452/
(The URL will presumably eventually change to the correct spelling of the D.E.D., which is MoVeen.)

chasbaz

Post by chasbaz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Mr. Waldron,
I have brought the process onwards and have the connections that certainly could link the Michl Hickey (leasee in 1665 to Earl of Thomond) at Drumline to the Lawrence Hickey born 1814 at Drumline with the grandson of Michl being Andrew whose wife's tombstone is in Quin Abbey: “Here lies the Body of MARGT | FINUCANE wife of ANDW HICKY | who Dyed the year 1740.”
Rev Charles Hickey also buried in Quin Abbey must have been Andrew and Margaret's son and seems to have been a Protestant minister : “Rev CHARLES HICKEY who d : the 15th day.” (Rest of date not cut.)
My father showed me these graves when I was an unimpressed teenager in the 1960s and told me the connection then but it is lost in the mists unfortunately. I cannot close the last link between Andrew and Lawrence, assuming that Andrew was Lawrence's grandfather it would match timewise.

If you can help I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks
Charlie Hickey

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Dear Charlie

Your deductions are at variance with Burke's Irish Family Records which is my only source, but, however, is not 100% reliable.

It says that Andrew's paternal grandparents were `MORRIS HICKEY, of Tarmon, and Drim, co Clare, m Honora,
dau of Donough Gillanoyle, of Carol1agh, Bal1yhickey.' Morris left a will dated 26 April 1671.

It also says that Andrew and Rev. Charles were brothers.

The only mention of Drumline parish that I can find in the Burke pedigree is `Michael, of Bal1ycuneen, Bunratty', who was also Morris's grandson, and thus was Andrew and Charles's first cousin. That Michael's parents were an older `Michael, of Sixmilebridge, co Clare, and Great Billing, Northants, m Mary - (d 1750).' Michael senior himself d 1718.

As you will see from the map at
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nlands.htm
the townlands of Culleen and Ballycunneen are in the parish of Drumline and both adjoin the townland of Drumline.

In Griffith's Valuation (15 Sep 1855), Laurence Hickey of Culleen was renting just over 24 acres and living in a house valued at only 15 shillings per year.

In the Tithes (21 Nov 1833), "Hicky Law'ce Drumline" is listed as paying mensal tithes; see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ne_tab.htm
Is this your Lawrence Hickey born 1814?

Paddy