UK Record Abbreviations

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Doug

UK Record Abbreviations

Post by Doug » Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 am

Good Evening
I know I am not in England nor Scotland but I am in a library. I hope one of you folks can help me on some abbreviations on UK Records

From the book Scots on the Chesapeake (1607 - 1830) compiled by David Dobson 1992.

James McCaw of Newton-Stewart, Wigtownshire is listed. He was a loyalist and died in Oct 1779 in New York, USA.

The following references are listed and are what I need help with.

PRO.AO13.31.220
SRO.CC8.8.220
BLG2803
DAB.11.575

Unfortunately we did not copy the frontpiece to the book nor the abbreviations page.

Thanks in advance

Douglas Burnett
Satellite Beach
FL
USA
Douglas Burnett
Satellite Beach
Florida

Paddy Casey

Re: UK Record Abbreviations

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat May 15, 2010 10:34 am

Hi Doug,

Good to "see" you again. You kindly sent me that big file from a US genealogy convention some years back, remember ?

AO is short for Audit Office in the UK archives (see http://tinyurl.com/2veusat )

I don't what the others stand for.

Paddy

Doug

Re: UK Record Abbreviations

Post by Doug » Sat May 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Paddy
Oh Yes! I remember you and several others on this list quite well. You and Sharon both were helping me with my O'Brien effort, which is still ongoing.
Right now I have gotten sidetracked with some of my wife's ancestors--McCaw fm Newton Stewart in Scotland. He was a surgeon in the British Army under Clinton during the American Revolution and died in New York. These record abbrevations were used on an entry for information about him. He begot a long line of Doctors in Richmond Virginia, USA starting with his son James McCaw who graduated from Edingburgh Medical School. I have his thesis which was done in--ready for this?--classical Latin. Oh well! The last physician that I know of was Walter Drew McCaw who was the US Army Surgeon General in France during WW I.
Thanks for your input on the abbreviation
Douglas Burnett
Satellite Beach
Fl