Martin Griffin/Catherine Kelly

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

CWood

Martin Griffin/Catherine Kelly

Post by CWood » Wed May 19, 2010 4:23 pm

I am looking for information concerning this couple. They are the parents listed in civil birth registrations of 4 children, John (1874), Catherine (1872), Margaret (1867) and Daniel (1865). Two of the civil registrations show a Ballynacally registration district in the Killadysert Poor Law Union. They are also listed as the parents of a son, Joseph, on his 1898 marriage license in Massachusetts. Joseph has consistently stated his place of birth was Massachusetts, as opposed to Ireland, and we believe it is possible that the family came to America for a brief period of time, and then for whatever reason, returned to Ireland.

I have found the daughter Catherine marrying Owen Farley in Massachusetts in 1913, but do not find her in the 1910 or 1920 census returns. At the time of her marriage, she was living in Dorchester, a Boston suburb.

I do not find any of the other Griffins in the 1901 or 1911 census returns.

We do not know the precise townland yet for the family as I have not yet received the birth certificates so I cannot pinpoint a church parish that we can search for further information.

Would anyone recognize this family, if so, please let me know.

Cindy Wood

Paddy Casey

Re: Martin Griffin/Catherine Kelly

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed May 19, 2010 7:55 pm

This isn't a direct hit, Cindy, just a faint whiff of a scent, but if you check out the townland of Burren in the parish of Kilchreest you will see a Griffin family there in 1910. Their first names don't match the ones you listed BUT note that they have a servant by the name of Kelly AND note that in the Griffiths valuation of the townland in 1855 (see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... htm#burren ) there was a Daniel Kelly listed (Catherine's father ?) AND in the 1855 Griffiths Valuation there are numerous Kellys in the adjoining townland of Tonlegee (OK, I know that Kelly is a common name but.....). In fact, it is interesting look at the townland map of the area at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nlands.htm and see the adjacent clusters of Kellys and Griffins.

And it all fits with your Ballynacally hint.

Paddy