DOODY FAMILY in Co Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Doody Gal

DOODY FAMILY in Co Clare

Post by Doody Gal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:46 pm

GDAY:)
My Grandmother was a CATHERINE DOODY, Father JOHN THOMAS DOODY, Born circa 1860
According to Family here he was from Co Clare, maybe Kilrush??
He was the Second Son of a THOMAS DOODY of Listowel Co Kerry according to a Newspaper Item i found on his marriage here in 1888
So Could they have moved from Co Clare to Kerry???
He came here to South Australia with a Sister Mary Joseph DOODY in 1881

Mary Josephine DOODY was born circa 1864
There were Apparently DOODY families in Clondagard Co Clare
Does anyone have access please to Clare Records that they can perhaps check for a birth of a Mary Josephine doody circa 1864 with Father Thomas

My grandmother was called Catherine(kit) Doody so maybe that was thomas Doodys Wifes name
Thanks for any help
Does anyone know of this Family
Regards
Cathy:)

Paddy Casey

Re: DOODY FAMILY in Co Clare

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:25 am

Cathy,

Please let us know whether you have fully searched the Clare County Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie and found, for example, the Doodys in Clondagad (note spelling) in the tithe applotments (1826) and the Griffiths Valuation (ca. 1855) and the many Doodys in other parts of Clare and have mapped those names to the Clare townlands. That way you would have a Doody cluster map which might give you leads to next steps.

Paddy

Doody Gal

Post by Doody Gal » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:50 am

GDAY Paddy:)
Thanks for your reply
yep ive searched the Clare library Site re Doodys, even got parish registers in from Kilrush Clare as my mother (her mother was a DOODY) mentioned yrs ago something re family from Kilrush, Whether tho it was DOODY or RYAN, Not sure, but only found one DOODY in kilrush, plenty of RYANS tho
My ggrandfather was MICHAEL RYAN born circa 1840 in Co Clare, Father JOHN RYAN, but too many RYANS in clare too
Im thinking of ordering in those Clondagard Parish Registers as Ive had contact with DOODYS here in Australia whose Doody lot were from there, But apparently film is poor quality and quite illegible

Family tended to Think they were from Clare, till i found a Marriage listing here in a local paper saying my John DOODY was second son of THOMAS DOODY of Listowel Co Kerry, so who knows they might have moved to Kerry from Clare
Are u in Co Clare?
Regards
cathy:)

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi Cathy,

I'd definitely take look at those parish registers even if they are reputed to be illegible. They may possibly include legible sponsors' names which allow pinpointing of localities or the names of parish priest which may allow bracketing of dates. I got a lot of information on my family by browsing sponsor names and plotting them on the map of the area my family lived in.

Am I in Clare ? No, I'm afraid not. I'm in an internet cafe in the UK, surrounded by teenies and having my hearing sonically extirpated by the acoustic wallpaper droning from the loudspeakers and watching Clare being lashed by gale-force winds (thanks to Met Eirann).

By the way, if you find legible lines in those registers you might like to transcribe them and post them here. That might just possibly elucidate a hit from someone googling for Doody or Ryan. Just an idea.

Paddy