Family histories in Washington, D.C. and in Dublin

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Family histories in Washington, D.C. and in Dublin

Post by smcarberry » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:06 pm

There are two indexes of published family histories and manuscripts to consult online:

1. The collection in the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. is indexed in this publication now a Google book:

American and English genealogies in the Library of Congress, Volume 9
By Library of Congress, Malina Anvers Gilkey [staff member]
pub. 1919
books.google.com/books?id=MIwsAAAAYAAJ...

2. A well-known index of a former Genealogical Office collection (now likely at the National Library, Dublin) by State of
Washington resident Virginia Wade McAnlis is now online in multiple pdf files for which I can't provide a working link
but which can be reached directly with a suitable search term in Google. To reach the file covering surnames
D-E-F-G-H, use this search term: mcanlis +betham +fitzgerald I have not tried reaching files for other alphabetic
letters but likely using mcanlis plus a surname starting with some other such letter should work as long as the surname
is of a prominent family.

If you find a book at the Library of Congress that you wish to consult, you can check the online WorldCat for the library nearest to you, that has it. I also know of a researcher in the D.C. area who can be sent to the Library of Congress to do photocopying.

posted by Sharon Carberry