Seeking Nellie Carberry, son raised by Culligans, Crusheen

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Seeking Nellie Carberry, son raised by Culligans, Crusheen

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:28 pm

In a 1911 census there was a Carberry Family who lived at 3 Alexander Street Waterford. Parents were Thomas and mother was Mary. they had approx 8 children. James, Thomas, George,Patrick,Nellie,Joseph,Michael and May. I have recently found out the Nellie Carberry was my grandmother. She had a son Michael Vincent Carberry who was my father.
I understand that although she was 13 when the 1911 census was taken, she had my father at 27. She was an unwed mother and gave birth to my dad at the Kilrush Nursery run by the sisters of Mercy in County Clare on Oct 4 1925.

I understand that she did not raise my father. He was raised by the Culligan family of Crusheen Ireland. Do you know anything at all about these Carberry's and in particular NELLIE. I have been searching and searching and come up with nothing. Anything would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

kathleen Carberry-Vaught
(re-posted here by Sharon Carberry)
Last edited by smcarberry on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

smcarberry

Re: Seeking Nellie Carberry, son raised by Culligans, Crusheen

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Kathleen,

This is interesting news. I am in contact with U.S. Carberrys with a long history in Dungarvon, Co. Waterford. They certainly liked to use the names Thomas and Andrew. I maintain a Carberry YahooGroup and you are welcome to join and post a message there too. When posting there, be sure to add your current location, so someone responding can perhaps provide guidance on what resources are near you to consult.

You likely want to be contacted by someone knowing the Culligans of Crusheen. The time of their raising Nellie's son is so far into the 1900s that there is no Irish database to consult. You can try using the search engine of the Library's website to see if something relevent might pop up, although I do not recall anything to do with Carberry there in the right time period. Maybe you'll have more luck doing Culligan.

Sharon Carberry
Georgia USA
Last edited by smcarberry on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kathleen carberry

Re: Seeking Nellie Carberry, son raised by Culligans, Crushreen

Post by kathleen carberry » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Thank you Sharon. I do know how to contact the Culligans in Crushreen. The younger generation does not know of my
father at all, When I questioned some of the older members of the culligan family years ago they were very closed mouth and secretive about my dad. I was told "some things were better off unknown". I was hoping to find any of the Carberry's
origionally from Waterford and maybe Nellie has other children who could be my aunt or uncle.

Thank you for much for responding and I will try the Yahoo site.

Sincerely

kathleen Carberry Vaught
Bethlehem PA.

miriam scahill

Re: Seeking Nellie Carberry, son raised by Culligans, Crushreen

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 pm

Hello Sharon & Kathleen - Sharon you were right to put new heading on this posting.
The Convent of Mercy in Kilrush had a type of orphanage - and it is poss. that Nellie lived there. Although it is strange that it is Kilrush and not Ennis - which would be nearer to Crusheen. Perhaps the Culligans of Crusheen had connections with the Culligans in the Kilrush area.
You will find details in the Census of 1911 of the Convent at Drimna, Kilrush Urban - which will show the Sisters of Mercy, domestic staff and 'scholars' which are in fact the children in the Orphanage. There was a query about this Orphanage in a local paper some time ago - but unfortunately two of the senior cits. of Kilrush (90 and 91 yrs. old) died during the year - they would have remembered something about it.
Drimna is the townland - even though it is in the middle of Kilrush.
The Convent as it was in 1920's is still standing - but empty. New Convent has less than 10 Nuns.
Would Baptism Register or Civil Reg. in Kilrush show any info re address ??
Miriam.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:31 am

I am pleased to report that Kathy (who posted about Nellie Carberry of Waterford and her son born in Clare) has now
connected with her Waterford cousins via the Carberry YahooGroup which I started for just such a purpose. The Waterford
County Library website has a database for war graves with a link to the Commonwealth War Grave Commission in which a
record clearly showed that Nellie's brother was killed in WWI. Another descendant who had asked online about that soldier
was already a Carberry YGroup member and instantly informed Kathy when she posted on the YGroup. She had known about
his other posting but the anonymity of that posting had prevented their connecting before this.

Sharon Carberry
Georgia USA

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Hello Sharon - it is wonderful that Kathy has met up with her Waterford relations. I see on familysearch.org that an Ellen Carberry married in Tipperary in 1931.
Miriam.

Rima

Post by Rima » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:56 pm

Kathleen,

This is a long shot but we made contact a couple of years ago as I was researching the County Clare Mother and Baby Home where your father Michael was born there in 1925. I have continued to do research and have recently held an exhibition in Clare Libraries; I am also putting together a book on the subject which I hope to publish next year. I lost touch with you because I forgot the password of the email I was using and google would not let me reset. Apparently this is not uncommon. Eventually I found an old device where I was logged on and managed to retrieve your email. I replied at that time but the email bounced back so I assumed that you had changed jobs. I just wanted you to know I had come back to you but I didn't have any more information at that time. I would love to talk to you sometime maybe via Zoom about your Dad if you would be interested in doing that. I understand if you don't.

Kind regards
Rita (McCarthy)