Kate Sexton

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Teresa

Kate Sexton

Post by Teresa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 pm

I am looking for any Records of a Kate Sexton who emigrated to
Australia around 1880s from Knockanalban district of Clare. She never married.
Thanks in anticipation.

madhatter

Re: Kate Sexton

Post by madhatter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi Teresa,

If you check out the link below you see an entry for David Sexton, whose parents were Michael and Mary (nee Walsh) Sexton living in Knockanalban, Miltown Malbay. Might give you a lead, maybe not. The records are Census Search Forms 1841 & 1851.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ame_nw.htm

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Hello Teresa - sorry for delay - I was 'knocked off' my last attempt for some reason or another.!!
Now - there are several families called Sexton in the townland/neighbourhood of Knockanalban on the Census of 1901.
To view this go to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Census of 1901 - Census by DED (District Elect. Div.) - click on No. 51 - Annagh - then51/11 Knockalban. Annagh is an area very near town of Milltown - but Knockalban is in the Parish of Kilmurray/Ibrickan - which in turn is in 'Kilrush Registration District.'
To see info on this Parish - go again to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy. At bottom right hand side of page - there is 'Research Support' click on Parish Index - and then select Kilmurray/Ibrickan. - lots of info re history and photos - there is even a photos of Knockanalban Castle.!! (there are two other Parishes called Kilmurray - which means 'Church of Mary' - hence 'Ibrickan' is added here).
The parish church is St. Mary's in village of Mullagh, Ennis, Co. Clare. - perhaps there is a Parish Office and it might be poss. to get a print out of the Baptisms of all Sextons in the parish up to 1900.
On the info re Mulvihills/Honans - Sharon has info re McLysaghts Family Names - and just after her info - I zoomed in on page and there is a reference to Sexton - and the Irish spelling for it. The english-speaking writers/documenters wrote down what they heard by the Irish - thus many names were lost in translation.
I also took a look at LDS site - pilot.familysearch.org/record search - and there are 3 entries for 'Catherine Sexton in Kilrush Reg. District - born in the 1860's - but there is one for KEAT SEXTON - born 1866 - mayby this could be a mis-spelling for KATE.
Miriam

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks madhatter and Miriam for info, yes I have checked those lines. She had a brother Thomas who married a Norah Vaughan, a sister Mary who married John O Connor and a sister Ellen who married a Frank Darcy. Her parents were Sean/John and Mary.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Hello Teresa - you have found a lot in your research. There are many families of Sexton & Darcy in the area of village of Mullagh. I see Frank and Ellen Darcy in Census of 1911 at Carrowlagan which is just outside village of Mullagh.
I was just looking at 'Tithe Applotment Books for 1824' (these were payments to Church of Ireland by Catholics) - and I saw where Knockanalban is also known as 'Mount Scott' - and there are still Sextons in this area. This would come about in translation from Irish to English - Knock is 'cnoc' in Irish - which means little hill - or mount - and the next part - an - means 'of' - and the last part 'alban' is scotland - thus Mount Scott !!
The parish of Kilmurray/Ibrican will be empty tomorrow - as everyone will be in Dublin for All-Ireland Final as the local team are in 'Club' Final - a first for County Clare !! - so get your Green/Red flag out to cheer them.!!
There are players called Sexton and Darcy on team.!!
Happy St. Patrick's Day.
Miriam.

cobblers

Post by cobblers » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:34 am

Hello,
I believe we may be interested in the same Sexton family. Thomas Sexton who married Honoria Vaughan is in my tree (he would be Kate's brother). I didn't know his parents were John & Mary though. There are so many Sextons, how did you work this one out!

Cobblers

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Hello Cobblers - I hope Teresa - who posted original message - sees your posting. In the meantime - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - go to Genealogy and on 'Research Support' - at bottom right side of page - open Parish Index - and then select Kilmurray/Ibricken - you will find lots of info and photos. There is a Parish Office at St. Mary's Church at Mullagh, Ennis, Co. Clare = and I am sure the secretary would send you a print out of your Sexton family's Baptism Records.
Miriam.

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:30 pm

cobblers wrote:Hello,
I believe we may be interested in the same Sexton family. Thomas Sexton who married Honoria Vaughan is in my tree (he would be Kate's brother). I didn't know his parents were John & Mary though. There are so many Sextons, how did you work this one out!

Cobblers
Hi Cobblers, interesting yes I believe that we may be related! I am pretty definite, they were my great grandparents, he was called Sean but had Patrick in his name lived to be 104!!! married to Mary O Connor. There children were Mary, Thomas, Ellen, Kate and Pat who was my grandfather. I come from there so I pretty much know the different Sextons although many of them are related. Hope this is helpful. We must talk more about this :D
Teresa

cobblers

Post by cobblers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:38 am

Teresa,

Thank you for getting back to me sorry it's taken so long for me to do the same!

Mary Sexton (your Grandfather's sister) married John O'Connor and they are who I'm a descendant of. Also, Thomas Sexton (Mary and Pat's brother) had a daughter Bridgie and she married into our family too. I had ancestors in Knockanalban and Annagh. It's a small world! I don't know any more of Kate though. How long have you been researching your family tree? 104 is an impressive age to live to, is John/Sean/Patrick recorded in the census?

Take Care

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 pm

cobblers wrote:Teresa,

Thank you for getting back to me sorry it's taken so long for me to do the same!

Mary Sexton (your Grandfather's sister) married John O'Connor and they are who I'm a descendant of. Also, Thomas Sexton (Mary and Pat's brother) had a daughter Bridgie and she married into our family too. I had ancestors in Knockanalban and Annagh. It's a small world! I don't know any more of Kate though. How long have you been researching your family tree? 104 is an impressive age to live to, is John/Sean/Patrick recorded in the census?

Take Care
Hello Cousin Cobblers, your John & Mary had ? five children Molly, Nora, Kate, Annie &Ellen twins, which of them do you belong to? and yes Thomas & Norah had a daughter Bridgi, I dident know who she married, that is interesting, a bit of incest.... :lol: Regarding the age, that was handed down to us, no proof as such, they dident really know their ages at that time. No he is not in the 1901 census his wife Mary is described as a widow. You will find the family under Thomas as head of household, wife Norah and my granda Pat. Note Mary speaks Irish only. Talk soon cousin. So what cousins are we? :?

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 am

Theresa.

My g-g-grandmother was Mary Sexton 1802-1854 of Knockanalban. She was married to John Halloran of Knockanalban cicra 1820. She also had a sister, married to Luke Darcy. I do not know her first name. Their family lived next door in Bonivilla or in Knockanalban.
There were a number of Sexton Families in the area. Mary Sexton and John Halloran had a son Michael that married Susan Joanne Sexton of Knockanalban in 1856 and raised a family in Knockanalban. The farm they raised their family on was one of the Sexton farms in Knockanalban near Ahy Bridge. There was an Anne Sexton listed in the 1855 Griffith Valuation which I believe would have been his mother-in-law.
There is also a number of Sexton descendants living near Cleveland, Ohio that are descended from Patrick Sexton 1820-1901 and Mary Moroney 1830-1914 of Knockanalban.
Good luck on your search,
Kevin J. OBrien

Teresa

Post by Teresa » Sun May 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Kevin, sorry for taking such a long time to reply to you, I was investigating your Sextons. Although, I believe that I know of the people you speak of I dont think that they are my line, although if we go back far enough I guess they probably are as they lived in such close proximity. Thanks for the info.
Teresa