Clare Irish in Worcester, Mass. US

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

merski

Clare Irish in Worcester, Mass. US

Post by merski » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:38 pm

A small band of us in the Worcester Mass. vicinity are doing irish research and have come across several people from county Clare who emigrated to this city in central Massachusetts. I will be posting them under this board, and I am willing to try to help you folks in Ireland who have family in Worcester or Worcester County to get info, record, etc.

smcarberry

Re: Clare Irish in Worcester, Mass. US

Post by smcarberry » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi, Merkski,

Good to hear of interest in the Clare-born in Worcester. I did some collecting of data while I resided near there a few
years ago, which I then posted on the Rootsweb Clare mailing list. I am repeating that below.

I enjoyed the supportive environment of the public library in Worcester and the unique resources in the American
Antiquarian Society, same city. I guess you have heard about the NEHGS in Boston and of course the NARA branch
in Waltham, which I know welcomes family historians due to the policies and example set by Walter Hickey, its director.

You will likely run across a Carberry or two while doing research in and around Worcester. I already have a considerable
amount of info on all of that surname in the region, and I am in contact with several living descendants of those families.
So, don't feel like you need to send anything on those unless the reference seems really hidden and not likely to have been
discovered already. Actually the best resource that I found for a Worcester County Carberry family was in the State Library in Hartford CT, - a book of biographies of Worcester people. That nicely cleared up the oral history that the Cork origin
was for the maternal part of that family and that their Carberry line was out of southern Tipperary.

Sharon Carberry
Georgia

From the earliest RC graveyard, in the Tatnuck neighborhood in Worcester,
now removed to St. John's Cemetery on Cambridge St.:

Thomas Diviny,
a native of Kittachy, County Clare, Ireland,
died Sept. 2, 1852, aged 29 yrs.
May he rest in peace. Amen.

Patrick, died Nov. 28, 1852, Æt. 5 yrs.and 8 mos.
Mary, died Oct. 31, 1853, Æt. 18 yrs. and 8 mos.
Children of Peter and Mary Redding.
Native of parish of Cloney, Co. Clare, Ireland.
May they rest in peace. Amen.
Peter Redding died June 1, 1855, Æt. 47.

This is not specified as from Co. Clare:
Timothy Mangan
son of Patrick and Honora Mangan,
died July 15, 1850.
Age 24 yrs.
Native of the Parish Killen, Ireland.

from a webpage now taken offline:
http://college.holycross.edu/users/staf ... stCath.htm

St. John's Cemetery, Worcester, Massachusetts
summary of info taken after walking the cemetery:

John McNamara
died 18 Mar 1874 age 57 years
Born in the Parish of Quinn, Co. Clare, Ireland

Martin Donelan 1861 - 1930
Catherine Glynn 1859 - 1944
James M. Donelan 1895 - 1949
His wife Alice C. Foley

adjacent stone to the one above:
Patrick Donnallan 1850 - 1925
His wife Margaret McMan 1860 - 1945
Their daughter Margaret M. Donnallan 1901 - 1988

Census information --
1870 MA Worcester County, Clinton
McNamara, John 54 Ire works farm
Maud 46 "
Michael 18 Ire
Peter 16 MA
Patrick 13 "
John 8 "
Thomas 6 "
next to:
McNamara
Timothy 35 Ire works farm
(1900: gas steam fitter b. Nov 1836, immig'd 1858,
naturalized)
Mary 30 "
John 3 MA
Mary A. 2 " (1900: b. June 1864 single)
Andrew 2/12 "
in same house as:
O'Malia, Bridget 60 Ire.
Ann 25 " works in gingham mill
John 21 MA store clerk
Austin 18 " works in gingham mill

Other McNamaras in Clinton 1870:
Timothy 80 Ire.
Bridget 65 "
Patrick 40 "
Thomas 30 "

1900 CT New London city, 102 Cliff Pl.
McNamara
Michael 49 Ire b. Nov 1851 carpenter immig'd 1853
Mary 46 CT 9 ch/ 7 living
Annie Sep 1874 CT
Maud Apr 1879 "
John Jul 1882 " printer - bleachery
Charles Dec 1883 " bleachery
Thomas Aug 1886 "
Harry Dec 1890 "
Mary Mch 1894 "

1900 MA Worcester Co., Worcester city, 743 Chandler St.
DONLAN
Martin 42 Ire b. Feb 1858 immig'd 1886 dyer, woolen
Catherine " Nov 1864 " 1882 mar'd 7 yrs, 2
children/1 living
James M. MA Jul 1895

DONLAN same city, 726? Mill St.
Patrick b. Jun 1851 Ire. immig'd 1880 dyer, woolen mill
Margaret Aug 1857 mar'd 15 yrs 4 children born/ 0 living

merski

Post by merski » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:51 pm

I know of Carberry's in Barre Mass. where I'm living. Do you have info on them?

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Yes, I have quite a bit of information on the Carberrys in and around Barre. There appears to be one who went out to
Illinois as well, according to an obituary. I have all that on a YahooGroup for Carberry, which I set up several years ago
in order to share such info with descendants. If you refer a descendant to me, then I send that person the directions on
how to sign up for the YahooGroup, which is entirely free and does not distribute anything about members to commercial
outfits.

By the way, may I ask what is your first name ? I relate so much better to a person identified beyond an online moniker.

Sharon C.

merski

Post by merski » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:27 pm

My name is Mary Ellen and I'm from county kerry roots but don't know where. I like helping people and hopefully one day my ancestors will deem me worthy of receiving the townland and parish and then I'll come across it.

Are the Carberry's in general from County Clare?

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi, Mary Ellen,

My Carberry line showed up in the NE corner of Clare only in the 1800s, so my ultimate research goal is to determine
whether my group actually originated in Westmeath (the original sept territory) or from a southern area such as
Lower Tipperary or Waterford. The name Carberry is exceeding old for a surname, and before surnames were settled
starting about 1000, the word was commonly used as a forename in Ireland. The other overlay in the sept's general
history is that an English family given confiscated lands in Cork in the Barony of Carbery decided to drift away from
their own surname (Evans-Freke) and assume Carbery (later Carberry just before they left Ireland in the early
1900s primarily for Africa, England, and California). That family has the Lord and Lady Carbery often mentioned in
newspapers, as well as an author or two. They had property throughout Ireland, including Limerick.

Anyway, my big break in finding the Clare parish with the church record for my gggparent's 1850 marriage came after
finding a long-lost cousin who knew that Montreal was their Canadian home before they came to the U.S. I then, drove
3000-plus miles to Montreal and found a death record with the Clare parish named well enough that a knowledgeable
Clare resident recognized it. Without that, I would still be "homeless." So, I can only encourage your efforts. I know
well your feeling that the discovery will come when it will. I had that experience when I reviewed a 1900 New York
census film for the third time for a particular family named Koehler. The film was Soundexed so the vowels were not
going to be an obstacle. I knew the family was in the locality I was searching, and this film was the only way to catch
the whole family before the children left home for marriages, etc. On this third attempt, I was using an automated
machine which happened to stop, without my conscious direction, on just the page image with the index card for this
family, filed as though the name was Krohler (the "e" mistaken for an "r" and then also misplaced), which makes a big
difference in the Soundex system. So success at last, beyond all reasonable expectations. Just plain stubbornness
is a great trait when doing family research.

Sharon C.

KatieClár

Post by KatieClár » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Many names in Ireland are very particular to a county or region. As many people did not leave their own district and married locally, names can be pinpointed to an almost exact area.
There are specific names that would be common in Co.Clare - Carberry would not be considered a "Clarename" though that does not mean Carberry families have not lived OR are living in County Clare.

There are a famous family of Irish jockeys from Co.Meath :?: called Carberry's.Tommy Carberry, won the English Grand National in 1975 on L'Escargot, beating Red Rum in a nail-biting finish.

http://irish-grand-national.com/carberry-family/

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:43 pm

That is a great photo of the Carberrys of Ratoath, Meath. I have only had head shots of the sons Paul (seated) and
Phil, in their jockey attire.

My suspicion is that my Carberry family left Westmeath in a hurry, if indeed the family patriarch is the one listed with only
the surname, in combination with a Coffey fellow, in a published description of their anti-Brit activities in 1798. And, yes,
my family in Clare had sons named Patrick, Peter and Thomas, forenames which the Westmeath families used a lot. Perhaps
there are visual and behavioral clues as well. I will try uploading photos to show my grandfather Frank (b. 1888) and
the horse which was one of many animals which he trained as a hobby (I heard something about a goat trained to butt on
cue). I suspect he resembles the Carberrys while I have strong indications that his father Patrick (b. 1855 Montreal) and
Frank's sister Bernadette (b. 1883 Philadelphia) have the Donnellan looks (Patrick's mother was a Donnellan, originally from Galway but in Clare many decades prior to the Carberrys).

Sharon Carberry
Georgia USA
Attachments
Patrick, Bernadette.jpg
Patrick Carberry with Bernadette
Patrick, Bernadette.jpg (302.13 KiB) Viewed 27792 times
Frank and horse.jpg
Frank again
Frank and horse.jpg (265.55 KiB) Viewed 27791 times
Frank Carberry.jpg
Frank Carberry
Frank Carberry.jpg (186.34 KiB) Viewed 27773 times

KatieClár

Post by KatieClár » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Golly doesn't your Grandfather Frank bear an uncanny resemblance to Tommy Carberry the jockey :shock: :shock: :shock:

Beautiful photographs Sharon and I love the one of him with his horse.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:39 pm

My eyes see a distinct resemblance between my Frank and the Meath family. I was looking more at Paul (seated) since he is at the approximate same age as my grandfather's photo. Tommy is a horse trainer, and all his kids are jockeys, including his girl, whose name I think is Deirdre.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts and the photo. It's a long road yet to find anything to confirm my suspicions, but
talking about it helps keep up the motivation.

Sharon C.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Back on topic - I stumbled into a webpage which cannot be found by using the site map on the Worcester Public Library website. This apparently is the work of a librarian there and has not been placed out for general public view. However it is likely sufficiently accurate to be a resource for area deaths in 1897-98. I tried re-working the numbers to reach a similar list for earlier years, but nothing resulted.

http://www.worcpublib.org/resources/wor ... 97-98.html

posted by Sharon Carberry
Georgia

smcarberry

Father Kane, Re: Clare Irish in Worcester, Mass. US

Post by smcarberry » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:49 am

Rev. Michael Kane. S. J.

“The people of Spencer may be justifiably proud of the honor and distinction earned by [Rev. Kane],
as the town may with propriety call him one of her sons, though the first three months of his existence were spent in a small township in county Clare, Ireland. The influences of heredity and careful parental training were manifested in the life and character of this distinguished priest.

Michael O'Kane [father of Rev. O'Kane]...came to America in the spring of 1849, and was one of the first of his nativity and religion to settle in Spencer. He immediately made preparations for sending for his family, and they came in the following year, for at that time he purchased the property at the corner of Chestnut and Valley streets, which... has ever since continued to be the home of...the O'Kane family. His first employment was as a farm hand...but he shortly changed this pursuit for a position in...the woolen mills, and pursued this occupation until old age...He was a shrewd man of business, and made considerable money by his excellent investments in real estate. He was the first in that section to possess a piano, and the entire family had musical inclinations. He was noted for his charity, and gave ready welcome and assistance to all immigrants from his native land, sheltering them until he had put them in the way of helping themselves. He died at his home in Spencer in 1877. He married Bridget Casey, born in 1810, noted for her piety and her devotion to her family and her family. She survived her husband until 1891. Their children were: Rev. Michael A.; Patrick; Sarah; John; Mary, married Hugh Kelly; Bridget; Thomas; Richard Martin; and Eliza.

Rev. Michael A. O'Kane...was born...July 12, 1849...He acquired his preliminary education in the common and high schools of Spencer, and entered Holy Cross College... The O'Kane household was the headquarters of the pioneer priests of that section, and the young Michael may have drawn some of his inspiration from this source; at any rate he was, in early youth, one of the sanctuary boys in old St. Mary's Church...He left Holy Cross College in 1867 and joined the Society of Jesus, in which organization the members give up all title to things temporal...He pursued his philosophical and theological studies at Woodstock College, Maryland, and spent nine years in this part of his education. He was sent to Georgetown College in 1876, to take the position of professor of classics, and remained there six years; during the next four years he ws prefect of studies at Georgetown, and for two years vice-president. He was made rector and master of novices at the novitiate at Fredericksburg, Maryland, the home of the Jesuits, in August, 1887. This position he held for two years, and was then appointed president of Holy Cross College at Worcester...[T]he great addition which doubled the facilities and equipment of the institution was planned and begun...[including] the fine baseball ground...and a magnificent gymnasium...including swimming tank...”
p. 127
Historic Homes and Institutions and Genealogical and Personal Memoirs of Worcester County Massachusetts [online as a Google book]
by Ellery Bicknell Crane
New York: Lewis Publishing Company, 1907

posted by Sharon Carberry USA (not related)

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon May 04, 2009 1:46 pm

11 Feb 1886 Worcester Daily Spy (MA) p. 1 Obituary
Brockton, Feb. 10 – Michael CLUNE, a resident of this city, died last night of heart disease. He was born in CCI, 41 years ago, and has been in this country since he was five years old. He was the founder of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and a prominent member of the order...

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 pm

There's much more written on the O'Kane family, with photos no less.
Sharon Carberry

Historical sketches relating to Spencer, Mass., Vol II (W.J. Heffernan - Spencer Leader Pint, 1902)
by Henry Mendell Tower
pp. 149 - 154
REV. MICHAEL A. O'KANE S. J.
by William J. Heffernan
The people of Spencer have been justifiably proud of the distinction which has been earned by Rev. Michael A. O'Kane S. J., as the town may with propriety call him one of her sons, though the first three months of his life were spent in a small township in County Clare, Ireland, his native place.
The influences of heredity and of careful parental training- show themselves in the life and character this distinguished priest. His parents, Michael and Bridget O'Kane, were of the best type of the Irish immigrant. The father, a genuine old Irish gentleman, came to America in the spring of 1849, and was one of the first of those of his nativity and of his religion to settle in Spencer. He immediately began the preparations of sending for his family and settling them here. His family must have arrived some time within the next twelve months, for in 1850 he purchased the property at the corner of Chestnut and Valley streets, which was the home, until a few years ago, of the O'Kane (or Kane as it is familiarly abbreviated by most Spencer people) family.
Michael O'Kane first found employment as a farm hand with Otis Howland, who lived at the farm now occupied by John M. Newton. He very shortly changed this pursuit for a place in the finishing department of one of the woolen mills on Valley street, which was his vocation until age compelled him to relinquish active manual labor. He was shrewd—or in the common parlance of the day, forehanded—in temporal affairs. He made some money in real estate, prudently watched for opportunities, husbanded his resources, was of correct habits, with the result that the O'Kane family was soon recognized as thrifty and considered eminently respectable. At that time the larger part of the Irish Catholics coming to Spencer clustered their homes in the section of the town near the woolen mills. The O'Kane family was the first to own a piano—the members of the family all being musically inclined—and in those days the ownership of such an instrument, among the people of that section, was sufficient title to a claim of the next thing to opulence. Though Michael O'Kane diligently attended to business and husbanded his resources, yet he was most kind and charitable, with a " heart as big as a house." The O'Kane dwelling was the gathering place for the Irish immigrants coming to Spencer in the earlier years of emigration. Mr. O'Kane would extend an old country welcome to every son of the old sod who would come along, and house and entertain a fellowcountrymen until they found employment and could stand for themselves. At one time, it is related by an old resident, there]were thirteen chests in the O'Kane barn, belonging to people of this character, whom Mr. O'Kane was assisting iti their start in life in the new world. One grateful old man, Mr. Patrick Eagan was wont to state in after years that "Michael O'Kane did as much for the v Irish-Catholic people in Spencer as Daniel O'Connell did for the people of Ireland."
If, however, Rev. Father O'Kane's friends are able to trace some of his traits of executive ability and power over men to the influences of the parental side of the house, they can with great justice attribute to the maternal influence much of the pious zeal and fervid faith which seems to have animated the eminent preacher in his work of saving souls and educating young men. Bridget O'Kane, his mother, also a native of County Clare, was known throughout her life for humble piety and devotion to family and faith. She was born in: 1810 and passed to her eternal reward in 1885.
The pioneer priests in this section made the O'Kane household their headquarters and possibly from this source- young Michael may have drawn some of his inspiration—at any fate we find him in early years one of the sanctuary boys in old St. Mary's church. In later years this acquaintanceship with the clergy has kept up and the O'Kane family is widely known among the men of the cloth as one of the representative Catholic families of Spencer: there were nine children, but only four survive. The surviving members of the family living in Spencer are Patrick, Mary, wife of Hugh Kelly, and Richard M. The names of those deceased are: Sarah, John, Bridget, Thomas and Eliza.
Rev. Michael A. O'Kane was born in County Clare, Ireland, July 12, 1849. He was but three months old when his mother brought her little family across the Atlantic.
After passing through the common schools and the Spencer High he entered Holy Cross college. Always he had been studiously inclined and early showed great aptitude for mathematics, in which he was a recognized authority in later years, when acting in the capacity of a teacher. His father would have him become a secular priest, when young Michael early showed an inclination toward the church, but the young man had an ideal in mind and stuck to it, even refusing financial assistance, often tendered him, toward his education, telling those who proffered such that " he preferred to woik out his own salvation," and by teaching largely helped himself through college. In 1867 he left Holy Cross college and joined the Society of Jesus, (Jesuits) in which organization the members give up all title to things temporal and are devoted exclusively to the work of the Master —and the tasks are by no means of the nature of a sinecure. At Woodstock college, Maryland, he pursued philosophical and theological studies, spending nine years devotedly to this education. In 1876 he was sent to Georgetown college to take the position of professor of classics and remained there six years, alternating in the professorships of philosophy and classics. For the next four years he was prefect of studies at Georgetown and for two years vice president. In August, 1887, he was made rector and master of novices at the novitiate at Fredericksburg, Md., the home of the Jesuits. This position he held for two years and then in 1889 was appointed president of Holy Cross college at Worcester, a great gratification to his Spencer friends because of the high honor thus conferred, reflecting credit upon himself and the town, and because they were thus able to get more frequent glances at the humble yet eminent divine, as he occasionally visited his home here.
Holy Cross college, during Fr. O'Kane's administration of four years, made some great strides and a number of radical changes in its policy. Fr. O'Kane found the college with 250 students, but saw it grow until the 300 students cramped its quarters and the great addition which doubled the facilities and equipment of the institution was planned and begun. Fr. O'Kane was then and still is a great lover of pure athletics and as a result the fine base ball ground and grand stands at the west of the college were built, a magnificent gymnasium completed in the new building, including swimming tank, etc. The exterior of the college addition had been completed when Fr. O'Kane was transferred to the arduous tasks of the Mission band. In 1893, he joined this band, which has traveled through all parts of the United States reviving dormant religion in the hearts of the Catholic people by their " missions." In 1894 Fr. O'Kane was made leader of the band, with headquarters at 16th Street, New York. He has proved a tremendous power in this work. Not long ago the Ontario, Canada, papers contained a magnificent tribute to the results of a mission held there by Fr. O'Kane and his helpers, when 900 men took the total abstinence pledge from him. A Bridgeport, Conn., paper recently told of his work there, when after one week's mission 460 people were confirmed and thirty converted. He has a deep powerful voice, a manner so honest, convincing, eloquent, fervent and spiritual that today he is recognized as one of the greatest powers in mission work in the church.
The work at Holy Cross college perhaps brought Fr.O'Kane more notoriety and placed his talents before the public in a manner, but today he probably is achieving the greatest work of his life, though he does it with apparent small effort. There are no breathing spells in the work of the mission priest; it is one constant, steady grind, day in and day out, with long hours and little recreation; but Fr. O'Kane appears to have that perfect equipose of temperament to do this work easily—the mental to comprehend, the motive to push forward and the vital to endure. This harmonious balance of temperament enables him to make extended and sustained effort without friction between mind and body and thus accomplish an amount of work which would break down the majority of men not so happily endowed by nature. He is a great and good man.
Rev. Michael O'Kane, S.J.jpg
Fr. O'Kane, S. J.
Rev. Michael O'Kane, S.J.jpg (17.82 KiB) Viewed 27298 times
Michael O'Kane  1801 - 1878.jpg
Father of Fr. O'Kane
Michael O'Kane 1801 - 1878.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 27295 times
Mrs.jpg
Mother of Fr. O'Kane
Mrs.jpg (15.35 KiB) Viewed 27293 times

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:48 am

Thomas O'Connor, 98
Worcester Telegram Gazette 16 Aug 2005 [pay for view]
"He was born in County Clare, Ireland, the son of John and Catherine (McMahon) O'Connor and came to Worcester in 1929..."

MICHAEL S. O'ROURKE, 63
Worcester Telegram Gazette - NewsBank - Sep 3, 1991 [pay for view]
"He was born in County Clare, son of Thomas and Catherine (Callinan) O'Rourke, and lived five years in Birmingham, England, before coming here in 1953..."