Thomas O’Malley, Veterinary Surgeon, from Co. Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Sduddy

Thomas O’Malley, Veterinary Surgeon, from Co. Clare

Post by Sduddy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:36 am

Thomas O’Malley, shown in the 1901 census living in Corrib Terrace (D.E.D.: Galway North Urban), gives his county of origin as Co. Clare. He is aged 41, so his birth may not have been registered. I am trying to find some other record of his existence. An enrollment of students at some educational institute might include his name, but this would date about 1870 – 1890, and I am not sure what educational qualifications were required for the occupation of Vet at the time, if any. It has been suggested to me that time spent as Farrier in the British Army might have been considered qualification enough. It was explained to me that the responsibilities of a farrier in the British Army included the general welfare of the horses in his care.
I searched the 1901 census to see if any veterinary surgeon gave any indication of qualification. By using “Search more Options” I found four veterinary surgeons in Co. Clare, but none with “letters after their names”: Patrick Howard, Gaol St. (D.E.D.: Ennis Urban); Peter Johnstone, Rosmadda West (D.E.D.: Ballyglass); John Kelly, Henry St. (D.E.D.: Kilrush Urban); E. J. Carroll, Gaol St.(D.E.D.: Ennis Urban).
In Co. Galway, I found only one veterinary surgeon (apart from Thomas O’Malley): William Cargill Patrick, Dunlo St. (D.E.D.: Ballinasloe Urban) - he gives his occupation as “MREVS Edin. Veterinary Surgeon; FRES London” (my interpretation). Clearly qualifications were to be gained in Edinburgh and London, but was there an Irish equivalent at that time? If not, I might be wasting my time looking for any enrollments of students.

Any advice, or suggestions, much appreciated, or any crumb of information.

Sheila

pwaldron

Re: Thomas O’Malley, Veterinary Surgeon, from Co. Clare

Post by pwaldron » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi Sheila

I know a little about the Kelly and Carroll that you mention above, but nothing relevant apart from the fact that Carroll trained in Edinburgh.

Reading funeral attendances and such like in old newspapers suggests that the "letters after the name" preferred by vets were plain "V.S." in the old days.

I forwarded your query to a distinguished colleague who is an expert on the history of the veterinary profession and veterinary education and he very kindly sent the following detailed reply:
Royal Veterinary College of Ireland opened its doors to students in October 1900 and first graduates emerged on July 16, 1904.
(See Hartigan in A Veterinary College to Flourish, published by the Faculty of Vet. Med., UCD in 2001)
Prior to this, Irish students got their MRCVS after studying at London (1792) Edinburgh (1823), Glasgow (1862). Other short-lived Colleges : Albert, London in 1860s; New in Edinburgh in 1890s.

Best source of information for your friend :RCVS issued a Register of Members (TCD has only from 1967, but Library of Vet Fac, UCD should have earlier issues).

Likely to have to go to source for those graduating in Victorian times:
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons,
Belgravia House, 62- 64 Horseferry Road ,
London 
SW1P 2AF

T +44 20 7222 2001

F +44 20 7222 2004
E info at rcvs dot org dot uk

P J Howard (“Howard of Ennis”) was an important figure even in my young days.

Hope this is of some help.
\pw

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Paddy

Thank you very much indeed for taking this trouble with my query and please convey my thanks to your distinguished colleague. I will see if can find out anything by contacting the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.

And, by the way, your advice on my last query on this forum was spot on: going on the revisions of Griffith’s Valuation, it looks like Cornelius O’Malley of Kilfearagh died about 1870, 8 years after the other Cornelius.

Sheila

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Good result: The administrator of the RCVS Charitable Trust Register of Veterinary Surgeons sent copies of those annual registrations which she considered relevant: one showed first registration (one year after graduation in 1884, from Edinburgh), others showed changes of address and one showed final registration. This information was very helpful. Thanks again for the advice.

Sheila