Verlin / Verling / Virlin of Tubber, Co.Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Verlin / Verling / Virlin of Tubber, Co.Clare

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:32 pm

My great-great-grandfather Denis Howard and his family lived in the village of Moyrhee in the townland of Shanballysallagh, in Tubber*, Co.Clare. Our Moyrhee Howard family was related to the Verlins who lived in two nearby townlands. Denis Howard's sister Elizabeth married John Verlin.

I've just been collating information on the Verlins of Tubber for my own edification and, rather than have it moulder in a file in my office I thought I'd post it here in case it is of use to anybody or sparks some memories.

Most of the information is collated from other sources. I am grateful to Sharon Carberry, Pat Connors, Joan Birtles, Ernene Smedley, Paddy Waldon, Mary Mullins and others of the County Clare family history sorority/fraternity for posting these results of their research.

Because tabular data cannot be presented directly in this forum I am attaching it as a file. I take antivirus protection very seriously. The file was scanned with an up-to-the-hour antivirus profile immediately before attachment and found to be clean.

Paddy

* Tubber is a locality which straddles the Clare/Galway border between Ennis and Gort. It has no clearly defined borders and is not an official entity like a townland or a parish. One can imagine it as extending over a radius of roughly 3 miles around Tubber church (Irish OS coordinates R 93595 40001; GPS coordinates N52.99004 W008.89419).
Attachments
Verlins – Summary of Information.pdf
(32.62 KiB) Downloaded 899 times

smcarberry

Re: Verlin / Verling / Virlin of Tubber, Co.Clare

Post by smcarberry » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:21 pm

Paddy, I pleased to see that Verlin is a surname included in your research. You may recall that I have mentioned to you an Arkins family of East Clare with a Lenihan connection (which is the line of Sandy Fife of Australia, a fellow Carberry researcher), since I found that one of her Arkins was a neighbor of an Irish-born Denis Howard in Brooklyn, early 1900s. The below information shows a few of the records indicating how significant Lenihan is to my family, too. I have been documenting East Clare families in Illinois, after finding my own family's Peter Carberry in LaSalle County and later Chicago. I have been working on sorting out three lines of Tynan families who resided in Rockford, Illinois (Winnebago Co.) since I found some Irish-born Verlin men there. So, I guess it is time to provide these records to you, for your own analysis and potential use. As always, more data would help but there seems to be more than mere coincidence involved.

Sharon C.

RC Marriages transcribed by Mike McGraw Austin, TX

0979673 - Co. Clare Church Records - Diocese Killaloe, Parish of Tulla
(1819-1880),

6 Sep 1819 marriage
Collins, Pat, Liskennee, McNarnara, Mary, Kiltannon
Howard, John, Liskennee
McNamara, Michael, Kiltannon
McGrath, Tim (Jim?), Liskennee,Tulla

Jim McNamara's transcriptions for Tulla RC parish [Clare Library donation]
29 Mar 1820 Howard, James Liskennee
Howard, James, Calloghan, Mary
MacGrath, Michael, MacGrath, Briget Tulla

03 Jun 1820 Howard, Briget Liskennee
Howard, John, Morony, Briget
McGrath, Thomas, McMahon, Briget Tulla

15 Jun 1835 Howard, John Naryfort
Howard, Denis, Cunningham,
McGrath, Michael, Howard, Anne Tulla

10 Jun 1836 Howard, Margaret Liskennee
Howard, John, Ryan, Mary
McGrath, James, Tynan, Mary Tulla

11 Sep 1836 McGrath, Michael Rannand
McGrath, Michael, Molony, Briddy
Howard, Denis, Cuomane, Biddy Tulla

Marriage (sent by David Kenny, Australia )
Mr Verlin of Tulla to Miss Mary Fitzgerald,
Daughter of Mr. Pat Fitzgerald of Corkakeal, County Claire
Published - 24 April 1818

U.S. census data:
VERLING CATHERINE 67 IRE CT NEW HAVEN 7-WD NEW HAVEN 1880
mother of and in the house of
MALONEY, Mary 45 Ire widow
David 13 Ire Fa: Ire
Richard 7 CT
Nora 6 CT

21 Apr 1905 arrival, Ellis Island, NYC (Ellis Island online database)
Verlin, Patrick 30 Carrehan or Carnahan Tulla, Clare
to brother John, 1044 School St, Rockford IL

VERLIN
JOHN 41 IRE IL WINNEBAGO 4-WD ROCKFORD 1910
carpenter [for] cont[ractor] & bldr [builder] img'd 1880
Minni 40 IL pars: IRE mar'd 17 yrs, 3 ch b/2 liv
Edmund 12 IL
Francis 7 IL
brother Patrick Verlin 32 Ire img'd 1890, nat'd single, laborer
lodger Mary Maloney 67 Ire widow, img'd 1850

MALONEY MARY MRS 56 IRE IL WINNEBAGO 7-WD ROCKFORD 1900
b. Sep 1844 widow, img'd 1860
aunt in the household of
BARRETT
John 32 IL pars: Ire city fireman, fire dept. [biography says Limerick as origin]
Kate 31 IL pars:Ire mar'd 9 yrs, 2 ch b. [nee Hickey, per the bio]
John 7 IL b. Jun 1892
Catherine 5 IL

VERLIN John 30 IRE IL WINNEBAGO 7-WD ROCKFORD 1900
b. Jan 1870 carpenter, img'd 1888
Minnie 30 IL pars: Ire mar'd 7yrs, one ch b.
Edmund 3 IL b. May 1897

VERLIN Thomas 27 Ire IL WINNEBAGO 2-WD ROCKFORD 1900
b. Mar 1873 city fireman, single img'd 1895, alien

Ellis Island arrivals database, online:
30 Jul 1896 on the Germanic out of Liverpool & Queenstown
Verlin
Thomas age 23 going to Rockford IL
Andrew 28 going to New Haven CT

Declan Barron's info:
"In 1855 Mountallon House, Clonlea parish was (according to Griffiths) leased by The Earl of Kenmare, James J.Baggott, and Rev.E.J.O'Reilly to Daniel Lenihan..."

My own notes, from O'Callaghan Mills RC records:
Mary Carberry, baptised 29 Feb 1835
dau. of Peter Carberry & Catherine Tynan, Lakyle
sponsors: Dan LINEHAN & Mary Carney

Michael Hehir, baptised 25 Aug 1838
son of Matthew Hehir & Bridget Carberry, Lakyle
sponsors: Dennis LINEHAN & Catherine Carberry

Mary, baptised 5 Feb 1837
dau. of Margaret Connell & Dennis LINEHAN, Mountholland
sponsors: Mary Connell & Michael LINEHAN

Michael, baptised 25 Sep 1837
son of Michael Donnellan & Anne Connell, Clashduff (my gggrandparents, also parents of my Catherine, b. 1826)
sponsors: John Connell & Grace Bethel, Mountholland
(this Connell's children: William, Elizabeth, John, Mary Ann,another John, and Isaack, all bet. 1837 and 1847)

Cathy Joynt Labath's contributions:

Chicago Tribune; Chicago, Illinois; July 27, 1898
LENAHAN – July 26, at 5257 Union-av, John beloved brother of James, Patrick, and Daniel Lenahan and cousin of Bridget
Gleason, native of Killuren, County Clare, Ireland, aged 28. Funeral on Thursday at 9 a.m. to Church of Visitation, where
high mass will be celebrated, thence to 49th and Halstead-sts depot by cars to Mount Olivet.

Peter's sister Bridget Carberry Hehir's son Matthew, whose own son Henry died back in LaSalle County (Lostant is there) and whose other son Thomas moved to Rockford IL:

Decatur Review; Decatur, Illinois; December 3, 1925
Matthew Hehir, 2031 East Prairie street, died at his home at 1:30 o’clock Friday morning after suffering for a long
time. He suffered a stroke of apoplexy about a month ago. He was born in County Claire, Ireland, March 5, 1855, coming to this county at the age of nine years and settlling in Lostant, Ill., with his parents. He then moved to Wapsella, Ill., where he was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Greene. To this union were born twelve children, two of which preceded him in death. He leaves his wife Catherine and the following children: T.H. Hehir, of Rockford, Ill.; Mrs. E.J. McManus of Heyworth, Ill., Mrs. T.A. O’Neil of Clinton , Ariz; Mrs. John Hart, Mrs. Joe Hart, Mrs. Walter Masterson, Mrs. Charles Yates of Decatur;
Elizabeth, Irene and Esther at home.
He also leaves fourteen grandchildren and two sisters, Mrs. Mary McGrath of Union, Ore., and Mrs. Kattie McGrath of
Des Moines, Ia..
He was a member of St. Patrick’s Catholic church,, of the M.W. of A., and the Royal Neighbors lodge of Wapella, Ill.
The body was removed to the Moran & Sons funeral home and prepared for burial.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks very much for this large amount of grist to the family history mill, Sharon. Things are beginning to fit together.

There are/were two Howard families in Tubber, the Howards of the townland of Coolbaun/Coolbane and the Howards of the village of Moyrhee/Myrhee etc etc in the townland of Shanballysallagh. Patrick ('Pa') Howard, who is of the Howards of Shanballysallagh but now lives in Carrowcraheen in Tubber, told me that the Howards of Myrhee in Shanballysallagh originally came from Tulla / Clooney / the parish of Clooney and that the Howards of Coolbane/Coolbaun were a different family and came "...from the Derrybrien side...". Derrybrien (Co. Galway) is around 15 miles ENE of Tubber and very 13.6 miles NNE of Tulla. It lies on the R353 road directly eastwards from Gort to, well, Derrybrien. I have not investigated the Howard records in Derrybrien.

Paddy

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:56 pm

I was poking around Fairfield County of Connecticut for a Phillip Connell who may be related to the Connells of Kilkishen;
he seems to have re-settled there after arrival in New Hampshire. However then I ran across another Verlin family. So I will post that now.

Sharon C.

1860 CT Fairfield Co. Stamford
Verlan
Richard 40 Ire
Mary 20 ";
Mary 14 CT
Catherine 10 MA [sic]
Thomas 7 CT
Margaret 4 CT

1870 CT Fairfield Co. Stamford
Varlin
Richard 45 Ire [no occup. noted]
Mariah 48 "
Catharine 18 CT
Thomas 17
Margaret 14
Anna 1
next to:
Howard
Mark 31 Ire coachman [later censuses: in an asylum]
Mary 34 Canada
Charles 6 "
Mary 2 CT

1880 CT Fairfield Co. Stamford
Verlin
Richard 65 Ire lab'r
Mary 60 "
Catherine 30 CT woolen mill
Mary 20 CT "

1880 CT Fairfield Co. Greenwich
in household of a German-born merchant:
Vernon, Thomas 30 CT pars: Ire coachman

St. John's Catholic Cemetery, Darien CT
Copied Nov. 21, 1934

Verlin, R.V., died Apr. 15, 1899, age 70 yrs.
Verlin, Maria, wife of Richard V., died Mar. 17, 1884, age 59 yrs.
Verlin, Mary, daughter of Richard & Maria, died Apr. 9, 1868, age 21 yrs.
Verlin, Maggie, daughter of Richard & Maria, died Apr. 28, 1886, age 28 yrs.
Verlin, Mother, Oct. 15, 1918.
Verlin, Thomas, 1897.
Verlin, Margaret, 1886
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctfairfi/pages ... tjohn2.htm

all on same stone:
6088 Connell, Martin, born Co. Galway, Ireland, died June 16, 1916.
6088 Connell, Mary E. Keating, his wife, born Co. Clare, Ireland, May 15, 1854, died June 22, 1900.
6131 Connell, John, born July 26, 1877, died Aug. 6, 1877.
6131 Connell, Michael, born July 26, 1877, died Apr. 24, 1880.
http://rootsweb.com/~ctfairfi/pages/cem ... tjohn1.htm

Paddy Casey

Verlin / Verling / Virlin / Verlan / Varlin of Tubber, Co.Cl

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Very interesting, Sharon.

You list two more name variants: Verlan, Varlin.

You note St. John's Catholic Cemetery, Darien CT: copied Nov. 21, 1934, 6088 Connell, Mary E. Keating, his wife, born Co. Clare, Ireland, May 15, 1854, died June 22, 1900. Now, in the Tubber baptisms of 1838 Honora Keating and John Verlin are listed as sponsors at the baptism of Bridget, daughter of Denis Howard and Mary Ryan. We know how Irish emigrants from a given district in the old country would often settle in the same locality in their new homeland, often triggered by a letter home along the lines of "hey, come on over here, there's plenty of work/land, Michael can get you a job at the sawmill where he works, they are hiring right now.....". So I wonder if Darien CT was a nest of Tubber emigrés.

And then you list Varlins next to Howards in 1870 CT Fairfield Co. Stamford. Stamford CT is only 3.3 miles from Darien CT.

Yoicks, tally ho !! The scent is strong !

Paddy

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Adding to this string a little bit, nothing too significant. There is a very recent transcription of Winnebago County (IL)
BDMs in the GenWeb archives, which I found by chance (i.e. Googling) since the county GenWeb site has not been
updated since a year ago. I did some more searching for Martin Connell in CT (the husband of Mary Keating) but could
only find one in 1910, likely mislabelled as single, working as a caretaker for an affluent family in Stamford; then he was
deceased as of 1916, per the burial info. However, today while reviewing some notes, I found a reference to a Tom
Howard in Tulla.

Sharon C.

Winnebago Co IL deaths

06/03/1968 VERLIN, FRANCIS
12/23/1954 VERLIN, JOHN
12/02/1908 VERLIN, JOHNEY
03/16/1919 VERLIN, MINNIE

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/il ... eathuv.txt

Winnebago Co. marriage:
09/21/1893
VERLIN, JOHN age 24 CRADDICK, MINNIE age 23

Births

05/27/1897
VERLIN, EDMUND JOSEPH [son of]
VERLIN, JOHN CRADDICK, MARY

08/04/1900
VERLIN, BABY BOY [son of]
VERLIN, JOHN CRADDOCK, MARY

08/31/1902
VERLIN, BABY BOY [son of]
VERLIN, JNO CRADDICK, MARY ANN

CT FAIRFIELD CO. 4-WD STAMFORD 1910
CORNELL, MARTIN 54 IRE [other known Connells also appear as Cornell in this area of CT, same time period]
single, caretaker of a private house, img'd 1889

Parish of Tulla, County Clare, Ireland - provided by the FHC, Corrofin
Children of
Catherine McNAMARA & Peter DONOHUE
who resided in the townland of Affick, Parish of Tulla
Mary, 25 Feb. 1826,
Tom HOWARD & Anne McNAMARA;
Martin, 10 Nov.1828,
Tom BRENNAN & Mary McNAMARA;
Michael, 03 Feb. 1831,
Michael O'DEA & Margt HALLORAN;
John, 23 Apr. 1833,
Dan MURPHY & Peg DONOHUE;
Bridget, 20 Feb. 1836,
John & Peg DONOHUE;

joanbirtles

Post by joanbirtles » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:51 am

Hi Paddy & Sharon
I've just joined the Clare Past forum and seen your posts re the VERLIN name as well as various other names in my husband's family from Tulla, Co Clare i.e. O'Halloran, Halloran, McNamara, Doogan/Dugan. I have done very little on any of these except that Mary Halloran nee Doogan b abt 1815 dau of Darby Doogan a tailor & Kate Verlin, emigrated to NSW Australia as bounty immigrants on the "Aliquis" arriving Sydney March 1839, with her husband Patrick Halloran and 5 children, Biddy 9, bap Aug 1838, Michael 7 bap Aug 1838, Catherine 5 bapt 1839, Margaret 2 bapt Dec 1838 and Elizabeth born at sea 1838.
Patrick Halloran's parents were James Halloran a labourer & Kate McNamara and it stated on Patrick's bounty record they were from Tulla also.
Are any of the above names relevant to your family trees?

BTW Sharon, you tried to help me many years ago with my great grandmother Mary Ann Elliot/tt b Armagh, Cty Armagh, Ireland. On her marriage and death record it showed her parents as Richard Elliot/tt, a farmer and Mary Coubry/Cowbray. I've never been able to find a birth or the parents in Armagh, Cty Armagh although I did find a baptism of a Maryann Elliot in 1846 on Armagh Ancestry but have not bought this record. On the Griffiths I did find a Richard Elliott & Mary Elliott on land at Glenkeen, Deryvullan, Fermanagh which is where most of the name Elliot/tt I believe came from. But it looks like the maiden name of the Mary who married Richard Elliott at Derryvullan was McAdam, so doesn't look I have the correct Richard & Mary Elliot. A Mary Elliott arrived on the ship "Percy" in April 1870, born Ireland, R.C. aged 24 and engaged by Geo. M. Bradshaw [drapers & hosiers]. I feel this is my ggrandmother's arrival but no other information. She married in 1873 my ggrandfather Alexander Stuart b Abd, Sct.
Have you added any Carbery/Cowbray/Coubry and Elliot/tt names to your collection over the years please.
Thank you Paddy & Sharon
Joan in NSW, Australia :)
I hope it was okay to combine the 2 messages!

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi, Joan,

Good to hear you are still interested in ancestor searching. My own Kilkishen group in their parish records did not include anyone from Tulla, although my Ann Connell Donnellan undoubtedly was related to the Connell/O'Connell families who lived
in Derrymore on the way to Tulla. I was fortunate to fairly recently put together the O'Connells of Cappalaheen (a townland near Kilkishen, supposedly provided via their Kilgorey relative), including their sole female who went to Australia in the early 1850s. So success can come if you keep at it and reach out as you are doing now for any additional details. I wish I had those for you regarding the Tulla group. The Halloran/O'Hallorans were prolific, and the McNamara sept was just all over northeast Clare. Be sure to consult the donated databases on the Clare library website, for the latest records on those surnames. I do keep a file on Verlins, because I keep an eye on a family which went to Connecticut and then out to Illinois in the late 1800s/early 1900s. However my research interest there actually is in the group of Tynans who relocated to Winnebago County IL and Waterloo IA, with hopefully the Clare surnames leading to determining that a Tynan family was from Clare, thus related to my Carberrys. So far, the research of others and myself (all done on a Tynan YahooGroup) have shown three of the Winnebago County Tynan families were from Counties Carlow and Offaly, but there are two more Tynan families yet to pin down.

As for Coubry/Cowbray, also consider McCoubry. I have seen that spelling on occasion here in the U.S. As the years go by, I am getting more confident in separating the Carberrys and their spelling variations, from other surnames which still appear to be of totally different families. McCoubry, Conboy/Conoboy, and Cabe/Cabey are in the latter group. However, having just witnessed a Brooklyn Carberry descendant start and complete her research goal of finding her family's Irish county of origin (with a few saved details in the Carberry YahooGroup which I started, plus her speedy pursuit of local hard-copy records) in just two months, you can never tell if success is just around the corner. I also saw that Armagh has some good resources online, although those do not come close to the wonderful library resources that Clare has. I was just reviewing yesterday info posted by the small but interested Scottish group in the Carberry Y-Group. We have a few families who have put together a story that runs from a northern Irish county to the Lanarkshire area and then down to northern England and over to Belfast before immigration to the States in the early 1900s. I will send you an invitation to join so that we can continue this discussion on the Y-Group and perhaps you can receive some guidance from the other researchers.

All the best,
Sharon C.

joanbirtles

Post by joanbirtles » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:19 am

Hi Sharon
Thank you for getting back to me so soon and yes I am still searching for all mine and my husband's ancestors with some great success and some not so great, like the Hallorans which as you said are very prolific. I practically live on the Cty Clare website which is great but with so many Hallorans & McNamaras and my Elliots, put these in the too hard basket and went onto other Irish Clare families like my LYNCH's from Kilrush, Co Clare, which are just as bad to research. However I must get back to the Tithe & Griffiths again and see if I can pinpoint our Hallorans & McNamaras. Is Darby as in Darby Doogan a common name in Ireland or is it a nickname do you know?
Thank you for offering me to join the Carberry Y group....I was on your list many years ago, doesn't time fly. Thank you once again for your reply and happy hunting in your research......Joan in NSW, Australia

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:27 am

Joan, I can certainly keep an eye out for your Darby Doogan as I review Clare materials. When I do so I will also be looking
for Jeremiah Duggen, which is the alternate form of both the personal/Christian name and surname. Interestingly, although
Duggen does not appear in my families' East Clare church records or anywhere near them on Kilkishen townlands, my ggrandmother's sister listed Patrick Duggan and his wife as her parents on her old-age home records in Philadelphia. Either
she was senile or the staff misunderstood her when she was trying to say something perhaps like she was sheltered in their
home until old enough to marry, after her widowed mother was evicted in Dec 1849. So it might be timely for me to get a
better idea of the Duggans in East Clare. I don't think they had the numbers like McNamaras and Hallorans, at least not in the
1800s.

Sharon C.