Carberry of Clare in Australia

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Carberry of Clare in Australia

Post by smcarberry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:05 pm

In the past year additional information has come to light so that I can now say that four members of the Carberry family left Clare for Australia in the mid-1800s. I have done none of the underlying research and, while I have been in contact with the Australian residents who have made the discoveries, neither of them is conducting active research or staying in contact with me. However this material may be of use or of interest for other Clare researchers, so I will provide a summary of it here. I have no further Australian data on these families.

Enjoy,
Sharon Carberry
USA

East Clare to Victoria
information provided by Brenda Carter
James Sheehan , son of John Sheehan and Mary Donaghue , was born circa 1828 in Tullagh [Tulla], County Clare, died on 9 Nov 1888 in Melbourne.
James married Mary Carbry in 1859.
Mary was born cir 1829 in Clunleagh [Clonlea], County Clare, died 12 Jul 1914 in Richmond.
Children from this marriage were:
Mary (Mary Anne) born 1860 Geelong
Catherine born on 7 Jul 1861 Keilor
Patrick 1863 Lancefield near Woodend
Thomas 1865 Monegeetta
Elizabeth born circa 1867 Wallace Township near Gordon
John born 4 Mar 1869 Wallace Township near Gordon and died in 1939 in Vic, Mildura, at age 70.
James born 23 Mar 1871 Kilmore
Bridget born 1872 Kilmore
Jane "Ginny" born 1873 Kilmore
Charlotte (Johanna) born 1875 Nort
Ellen "Nellie" born 18 Feb 1879 Footscray
Death and burial data given at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... 1.htm#i278

PRO records, Melbourne, Victoria
Victorian Sponsored Immigration Index 1856 to 1858 Nominee Order. Fisch 0001, Stand 7, Book 14A
placed online by Robert Craig Doherty
Port Phillips, Victoria
Sponsored immigrants
Date is that of the application, typically a year before departure
Sheehan James, 27, Co Clare, 427.240.57, 6 Aug 1857, -, Sheehan Ann.
Sheehan Jane, 25, Co Clare, 427.240.57, 6 Aug 1857, -, Sheehan Ann.
Sheehan Thomas, 19, Co Clare, 427.240.57, 6 Aug 1857, -, Sheehan Ann.
and
Carberry Michael, 20, Co Clare, 313.136.57, 28 April 1857, -, Carberry Mary

Unassisted Passenger's, Fisch 144 Page 004.
Michael Carberry
age 20, sailed from Plymouth on 31 Dec 1857 and arrived on the ship Coldstream April 1858

To date, I have not seen any descendant's posting or other Australian data matched to Mary's apparent brother Michael who arrived in 1858. None of Mary Carberry Sheehan's surviving children were named Michael, although descendant Brenda Carter made an early posting about Mary being the daughter of Michael Carberry.

West Clare to NSW
Into Sydney or Newcastle as an assisted immigrant--
CARBERRY Patrick 30 “and wife”
Telegraph 1858 reel 2138, 2478
CARBERRY Mary 32 “and husband”
Telegraph 1858 reel 2138, 2478

also on the Telegraph 1858, reel 2138, 2478:
MCDONALD Michael 20 and brother
MCDONALD Owen 22 and brother

The descendant for this family is Robin Maynard, who eventually realized that Patrick and Mary were siblings, contrary to the ship record. Robin and other family members have a firm belief that this family resided in Kilfenora. There was also a Carberry family who settled in central New York State (USA) in the mid-1800s with an origin of West Clare, with a descendant who has never been online and whose identity is not disclosed. That family's ancestor was Thomas, who stayed in Clare. Son Patrick emigrated.

This is another Australian resident/Clare descendant's posting related to the West Clare family:
"Seeking information on descendants of John Joseph O'Connor settled at Goolma near Gulgong, NSW. married Ellen MacDonnell/Mcdonald in Mudgee 1866 (both from Co Clare, Ireland) Do not know if they knew each other prior this or met in Mudgee. Ellen had a sister Bridget who married Patrick Carberry. Looking for O'Connor, Ennistymon,Co Clare.
Sharon Perry
posted on (now a Google group) soc.genealogy.australia+nz

Here is some of the available online data:
NSW Registry
marriage in Mudgee district:
1863 CARBERRY Patrick & McDONALD Bridget

births in Mudgee district:
1865 CARBERRY Patrick to Patrick & Bridget
1869 CARBERY John to Patrick & Bridget

The West Clare family settled and stayed in the Gulgong/Mudgee area. Apparently there was a change in religion at some
point, as discussed in a book published in 2009:

My Years in Vatican Service
by Edward Idris Cassidy
Google book
grandson of Mary Carberry Cassidy, raised by her and baptized RC at age four while visting the Carberry farm near Mudgee: read Ch. 2, p. 5 forwards
Bishop Cassidy book p6.jpg
Bishop Cassidy book p6.jpg (79.76 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Cardinal Cassidy cover photo.jpg
Cardinal Cassidy cover photo.jpg (21.6 KiB) Viewed 3983 times